Marathons in Singapore

Ah_roy81

I did the HM too... & it was my worst performance among my previous half a dozen HM runs...

Actually, I'm already prepared that it would not be a good run due to :

• Lack of training - The recent haze in Sep/Oct has limit my training run from twice weekly(which was already barely sufficient) to once or sometime the once has to be carried out on a treadmill in the gym which i hated...
  • Injury - Just as the weather cleared up in early Nov... I quickly try to step up my training hoping the last 1 month could make up some lost ground... but due to unknown reason (as I didn't remembered tripping due any run), felt some pain on my ankle (which has suffered from sprain before)  a few days after a 10k training run. Thinking i can run off the pain, i decided to go for another run at the following weekend but the pain became too significant not to ignore after just 500m into my run... quickly stop & walked home. Following day, the ankle swelled & i quickly go see a Chinese physician where he applied those 'gao yao' on my ankle.. Visited him another 3 times over the next 1.5 weeks.
  • Overseas holidays - Went off for our family year end holiday a day before school closed... my ankle injury still not fully recovered but no choice has to proceed with the trip... brought along my painkiller & wear an ankle guard throughout the entire 12 days holidays. Luckily, the ankle somehow got better as the trip proceed though there's a fair amount of walking required each day... returned to S'pore last Mon... barely a week left before the SCM race... so quickly squeeze in a 5k run last Thur... to give myself a last assessment... luckily the ankle didn't protest... so i decided to proceed with my HM... with a lots of doubts though...

On the actual run

• First time I'm wearing a ankle guard to a HM run... was contemplating if i should wear it as is not exactly comfortable to run with it for such distance... at the end decided to stick with it as i'm still concern my ankle may easily give way as i've only just recovered.
  • Adopting a different running approach. Knowing that I seriously lack the mileage due to the lack of training/injury, I'm aware i can't possibly can run all the way the entire 21k... so I decided to try out the run-walk approach which i've read in some running book before. I set my watch to run 6 mins follow by 1 min walk... I didn't exactly followed this routine during the initial few kms as I'm still feeling alright & I wanted to start only from the 1st water stop.
  • Insufficient water points during the 1st half of the run - The 1st stop only came after the 3km mark & the 2nd is even further... if i remembered correctly... only at 7km mark  [mad] . Total 2 water stops during the sentosa leg... the 3rd was only after the 10km mark where we've our gel/banana as well... too few water points I felt.
  • Scorching weather [sunny]  - This has to be the hottest run I've ran... the sun is up strong by the time we left the sentosa leg... by then I've started to ignore my run/walk timing sequence... the run time gotten shorter & shorter  [bigcry] Finally, my knees started to give in to the pain as well at the 16k mark... so no choice has to increase my walking time as I do not want to cause further injuries. So as i walked more, it took longer to reach & the sun got hotter... finally i make it to the finishing point... 15mins more than my last year HM timing (which was already a PW - Personal Worst)  [dead]  & more than 30 mins from my PB which i've clocked during the 2014 2XU run.

Conclusion... was indeed a torture to run without sufficient preparation... we may get away with 10k but not HM & above. Hope the organiser can consider bringing forward the HM start time to 6am.. the 2XU start time is at either 5 or 5:30am... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I fully agree with you on the issues ; the weather was scorching bad this year as I don't understand why it got so immediately hot in December at like 830 am already; Having run like 15 FM , maybe I can vouch to say this was one of the "baddest"  two, there was one bad one about 5 or 6 years back too ; Can't blame the Organisers on the weather of course; and yes the haze affected everyone's routine and mileage accumulation or dry runs , whatever we call them by;I went to gym (threadmill) but nothing beats the fun of open air ECP or park connectors; In fact they pushed the FM from 6AM to 5AM already for the last few year for the FM

Even for the FM the route again involved going up Benjamin Sheares Bridge and inclination and getting kissed (open target) by the open sun  at like 10am-11am  ( for average runners in the 4-6 hours timing) is like a killer mile and no water point like from 37km till 40km stretch continously;

Some of my kaki's whom did the HM also complained of curvy and undulating roads and when there is a crowd it gets harder to move  

Wearing all this ankle supports, kinesio tapes, compression stuff helps but a little and impedes the usual running - I have realised; In fact i got plantar fascitis (early morning heel pain)  just like 3 weeks before the run & went to see Ortho and took pain killers, did the physios religiously  & I have got it already many times and tried to change my stride too ... KNN like  ... Murphy's Law

Maybe we should do next year - sundown marathon as its at night and anyway even with StanChart FM or HM we cant sleep at night also 'cause of anxiety of having to wake up at like 2-3 am to take MRT.. baggage drop.... how to get get sleep too and anyway it creates less traffic on the roads at this wee hours and the event wraps up earlier still and normal traffic can resume like as early as 8-9 am instead of like 1 pm, currently    

I did the HM too... & it was my worst performance among my previous half a dozen HM runs...

Actually, I'm already prepared that it would not be a good run due to :

• Lack of training - The recent haze in Sep/Oct has limit my training run from twice weekly(which was already barely sufficient) to once or sometime the once has to be carried out on a treadmill in the gym which i hated...
  • Injury - Just as the weather cleared up in early Nov... I quickly try to step up my training hoping the last 1 month could make up some lost ground... but due to unknown reason (as I didn't remembered tripping due any run), felt some pain on my ankle (which has suffered from sprain before)  a few days after a 10k training run. Thinking i can run off the pain, i decided to go for another run at the following weekend but the pain became too significant not to ignore after just 500m into my run... quickly stop & walked home. Following day, the ankle swelled & i quickly go see a Chinese physician where he applied those 'gao yao' on my ankle.. Visited him another 3 times over the next 1.5 weeks.
  • Overseas holidays - Went off for our family year end holiday a day before school closed... my ankle injury still not fully recovered but no choice has to proceed with the trip... brought along my painkiller & wear an ankle guard throughout the entire 12 days holidays. Luckily, the ankle somehow got better as the trip proceed though there's a fair amount of walking required each day... returned to S'pore last Mon... barely a week left before the SCM race... so quickly squeeze in a 5k run last Thur... to give myself a last assessment... luckily the ankle didn't protest... so i decided to proceed with my HM... with a lots of doubts though...

On the actual run

• First time I'm wearing a ankle guard to a HM run... was contemplating if i should wear it as is not exactly comfortable to run with it for such distance... at the end decided to stick with it as i'm still concern my ankle may easily give way as i've only just recovered.
  • Adopting a different running approach. Knowing that I seriously lack the mileage due to the lack of training/injury, I'm aware i can't possibly can run all the way the entire 21k... so I decided to try out the run-walk approach which i've read in some running book before. I set my watch to run 6 mins follow by 1 min walk... I didn't exactly followed this routine during the initial few kms as I'm still feeling alright & I wanted to start only from the 1st water stop.
  • Insufficient water points during the 1st half of the run - The 1st stop only came after the 3km mark & the 2nd is even further... if i remembered correctly... only at 7km mark  [mad] . Total 2 water stops during the sentosa leg... the 3rd was only after the 10km mark where we've our gel/banana as well... too few water points I felt.
  • Scorching weather [sunny]  - This has to be the hottest run I've ran... the sun is up strong by the time we left the sentosa leg... by then I've started to ignore my run/walk timing sequence... the run time gotten shorter & shorter  [bigcry] Finally, my knees started to give in to the pain as well at the 16k mark... so no choice has to increase my walking time as I do not want to cause further injuries. So as i walked more, it took longer to reach & the sun got hotter... finally i make it to the finishing point... 15mins more than my last year HM timing (which was already a PW - Personal Worst)  [dead]  & more than 30 mins from my PB which i've clocked during the 2014 2XU run.

Conclusion... was indeed a torture to run without sufficient preparation... we may get away with 10k but not HM & above. Hope the organiser can consider bringing forward the HM start time to 6am.. the 2XU start time is at either 5 or 5:30am... 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

Actually now most sports are all $$$ minded (even if they say got this sponsored and that sponsored) Actually if you register early bird and use the StanChart Cards its only something like $65/- for full marathon ; In the old days they used to give loyal runners discounts and used to send advance mailers but now no more leh! Even the freebies are pathetic (nothing but stupid paper vouchers to buy over-inflated things) and last years run they ran out of banana's and seems like they cut down on energy gels too;

Even the cheapest one the 1/2 Army Marathon also no more !! cheap cheap at like $9/- for all ex NSF's ; Do NS for what?? this one small contribution also govt. cannot suppork!!

......... and they even stopped doing the SAFRA Biathlon too for the last 2 years (which was quite reasonably priced) or so and who can afford the Triathlon at almost $200/-!!! 

Hmm, I haven't been keeping track of the prices since my company has sponsored me most of the time (for all employees) but I have also been receiving mails from my SAF unit practically begging me to run and that it would be sponsored by them.

Mind you, I am damn unfit and on the borderline of being overweight.

Dear Commanders and Men,

1. This year marks the 45th year of National Service (NS45). On behalf of the SAFRA Singapore Bay Run and Army Half Marathonorganising committees, we would like to extend the invitation to you to participate in the Army 5km or 10km runs on 9 Sep 12. Only combat fit personnel are eligible, and all personnel above 35 years old must have a valid IPPT FFI certificate. If you do not have a valid FFI, you may contact Ms xxxx at 6xxx to make an appointment.

2. Your participation will be fully subsidised by the Army, and you will be given a commemorative Army running singlet, which you are strongly encouraged to wear on race day.

sample of what I received in 2012. Got it every year since but can't find the emails.

Edited by Kusje

Hmm, I haven't been keeping track of the prices since my company has sponsored me most of the time (for all employees) but I have also been receiving mails from my SAF unit practically begging me to run and that it would be sponsored by them.

Mind you, I am damn unfit and on the borderline of being overweight.

sample of what I received in 2012. Got it every year since but can't find the emails.

Don't bother to find them anymore ... they stopped it for last 2 years already , last one I did was 2013 and after that no more;  At least this was one small thing Govt. gave something back to NSF's ....... maybe budget cost cutting to SG50 celebrations run up. Everything also want private sector to do     

Actually now most sports are all $$$ minded (even if they say got this sponsored and that sponsored) Actually if you register early bird and use the StanChart Cards its only something like $65/- for full marathon ; In the old days they used to give loyal runners discounts and used to send advance mailers but now no more leh! Even the freebies are pathetic (nothing but stupid paper vouchers to buy over-inflated things) and last years run they ran out of banana's and seems like they cut down on energy gels too;

Even the cheapest one the 1/2 Army Marathon also no more !! cheap cheap at like $9/- for all ex NSF's ; Do NS for what?? this one small contribution also govt. cannot suppork!!

......... and they even stopped doing the SAFRA Biathlon too for the last 2 years (which was quite reasonably priced) or so and who can afford the Triathlon at almost $200/-!!! 

I wouldn't mind participating in runs with no freebies if it means cheaper registration fees. What happen to promoting healthy lifestyle? Only for people who can afford it? We should run for health, not for freebies (which are not free, by the way).

I wouldn't mind participating in runs with no freebies if it means cheaper registration fees. What happen to promoting healthy lifestyle? Only for people who can afford it? We should run for health, not for freebies (which are not free, by the way).

I think those freebies (other than the t-shirt) are actually there to subsidize and lower the cost because those sponsors will be paying (or maybe just giving it free) the organisers to include their freebies.

The only thing that will cut cost is to cut the medal and t-shirt?

Top local male runner Mok was just a minute faster than the overall top female runner!!

Just can't imagine how these Kenyan women can run so fast averaging more than 15.3km/h!!

The Kenyan men were running close to 20km/h [thumbsup]

the-gods-must-be-crazy-2-2-1.jpeg

• Praise 1

I think those freebies (other than the t-shirt) are actually there to subsidize and lower the cost because those sponsors will be paying (or maybe just giving it free) the organisers to include their freebies.

The only thing that will cut cost is to cut the medal and t-shirt?

the biggest cost is definetely the human factor &  payment to govt. Agencies to get approval (nowadays all this need to pay big $$$$$ and I'm sure its very stringent too like they have to get ,Outriders ;CISCO, Red Cross, Insurance and what nots;  ), ; Tshirts and medals don't really cost much; In fact getting water and isotonic drinks cost quite alot this days ..tentage... and of course the clean up ops thereafter too and volunteers need to  makan too

the freebies are always usually vouchers for make up, spa, heart rate monitors..... just useless papers to throw away..........they will never give like NTUC/ Sheng Shiong vouchers [mad] , even Mustafa also can also [:p]  

• Praise 1

I am also in 1st wave too.  I was running behind the pacers from Siloso Beach up to Prima.  I rem 1 guy in white top, are you that guy?

I remember that guy cos he stood out from all the blues.. But I was part of the normal blues.. Maybe next year I'll wear different from the run tops they provide..

• Praise 1

I remember that guy cos he stood out from all the blues.. But I was part of the normal blues.. Maybe next year I'll wear different from the run tops they provide..

I m in yellow singlet w/o blue balloons

Definately not me. My legs feel so sore after starting my first jogging session with my new in-soles. At least now no more pain in my foot and I am able to run continuously w/o stopping to walk. :a-happy:

From my Tomtom multi-sport watch :

post-2654-0-04779800-1464581986_thumb.png

post-2654-0-77730900-1464582000_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Definately not me. My legs feel so sore after starting my first jogging session with my new in-soles. At least now no more pain in my foot and I am able to run continuously w/o stopping to walk. :a-happy:

From my Tomtom multi-sport watch :

attachicon.gifSaturday Jog 001.png

attachicon.gifSaturday Jog 002.png

Wah !! You so wired up -

You got plantar fasciitis is it ?? Heel pain ??

I managed to burn 2200 calories yesterday

Hypersonic

Wah !! You so wired up -

You got plantar fasciitis is it ?? Heel pain ??

I managed to burn 2200 calories yesterday

2200, -> Full marathon ?? well done.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

2200, -> Full marathon ?? well done.

Actually it showed 2,285  calories and 43km or something like that according to "Runkeeper" app , though it was only 42.2km

Hope more MCF's participate .... well to at least reduce some weight since its a weighty issue always i see in forums. As Dr Ben Tans book is aptly titled "Run for your Life" 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Actually it showed 2,285  calories and 43km or something like that according to "Runkeeper" app , though it was only 42.2km

Hope more MCF's participate .... well to at least reduce some weight since its a weighty issue always i see in forums. As Dr Ben Tans book is aptly titled "Run for your Life" 

When I did HM earlier this year,, my garmin indicate I burned about 1400 calories.. So I extrapolate your 2200 calorie to full marathon.

Hope to participate more but mostly would be the HM. I did a few FM, but all of them I cannot fully complete it. i.e a significant amount of walking after the 30km mark.. Next HM will be my Army Half. This is one race I try not to miss.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

43 km sounds about right. 42.195 is the shortest possible distance for the route. Our cornering not so precise....also have to weave in and out sometimes. [laugh]

Well done.

• Praise 1