Japanese or Continental van?

AhRoNgHMR

Hey, i need your inputs on japanese and continental. Which one would you choose? I plan to get a second hand toyota hiace or a volkswagen caddy 1.9 tdi.

Need you guys to tell me more about which one is better because i heard loads of stories that continental van have very very high maintain cost especially if you need to replace parts. Thanks! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

personally, I would go for the Hiace LH103(3L 2.8l engine) or LH113(5L 3.0l engine) series. Loads of spare parts & accessories, most of them quite cheap. Labor costs are low as no specialized tools or knowledge needed. Able to take mineral oil change intervals of 10K km or more, though not recommended. Built to be tough as nails. Decent power. Main drawbacks over conti vans are the lack of interior refinement, lack of stuff such as ABS, and poorer fuel economy. Contis are nice to drive, well built & feels more like passenger cars as opposed to commercial vehicles.

Thing is, u need to decide if u're going to haul bulky heavy loads often & the kind of mileage u'll be hitting. If high mileage, with bulky/heavy loads, then go for the Hiace. If small loads, low mileage, the conti will serve rather well. Plus fuel economy is excellent. Spares for conti can range from reasonable to downright extortion. Expect to pay more in labor costs as there's more work involved in getting access to some of the parts that may require replacement. Ever heard of a $300+ fuel pump oil seal change from 1 owner. Mind u, not change the entire pump. Just change the rubber seal that was rotten & leaking fuel.

Also heard of another case, a $1300 original part aircon condensor coil change. Part alone was $1100. $200 to remove all the stuff in the way like bumper, lights, certain reinforcement beams etc, & put them back in with the new condensor.

I own a 1994 LH103 & despite the fella being 16 years old, no major problems except normal wear & tear on the running gear. No overhauls done, even at 550,000km as of now. Just a few belt changes, a fuel injector pump refurb, a new a/c compressor, a new radiator & water pump so far. Still hauls heavy loads nicely. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

for conti van, get cit/pug one better

parts wise very readily available as got 4 stocklist

renault ones are problematic, opel and fiats parts pricing are on the cutthroat end of the scale, fiat one is worst..no parts even...

Vans I would go for Japs and Toyota. Very reliable. Parts everwhere, servicing also cheaper.

Conti..... No confident in Renault after incident with my friend's Kangoo. Drive 3yrs fuel pump spoil. Cost 2K+ to replace.... Madness..... Then fan belt snapped halfway (replaced for only 6 months). Then FC also sucks. Now engine got problem and he decides to scrap it. Its just around 7yrs old. Terrible.....

Edited by Mini-itx

Thanks a lot, those plus points about the hiace are the reasons why i want it. Haha. Ups to your hiace,550 000km and still kicking ass.

My dad's van is Toyota also (14+yrs already and over 440K already). Still kicking and well alive. Engine and gearbox no problem at all. Change one (cheap mineral one) once every 6 months only (don't care about mileage, just once every 6 months). Extremely durable.

Of course, got things spoil before lar.

1. Fuel pump seals. Yes, the pump can be taken apart and replace the seals.

2. Aircon coil leakage and compressor.

3. Radiator.

4. Tierod linkages.

5. Alternator not charging well now, only after 14yrs...

5. a few minor ones.

But major stuff like engine, gearbox, final drive, steering rack, final drive etc all fine..... Amazing engineering.

"I own a 1994 LH103 & despite the fella being 16 years old, no major problems except normal wear & tear on the running gear. No overhauls done, even at 550,000km as of now. Just a few belt changes, a fuel injector pump refurb, a new a/c compressor, a new radiator & water pump so far. Still hauls heavy loads nicely."

Hi,

wonder if can share where your servicings and repairs are done, as am impressed of the good maintenance ?

Edited by Dadiao

"I own a 1994 LH103 & despite the fella being 16 years old, no major problems except normal wear & tear on the running gear. No overhauls done, even at 550,000km as of now. Just a few belt changes, a fuel injector pump refurb, a new a/c compressor, a new radiator & water pump so far. Still hauls heavy loads nicely."

Hi,

wonder if can share where your servicings and repairs are done, as am impressed of the good maintenance ?

My dad service his van at sin ming autocare. The guy is called Ah Heng (an old man). His WS is directly opposite 04-17. He is the best tech I have ever met. Very honest man and will really try to help you to save money rather earn more from you. When he find parts for you, he even call a few suppliers to find the lowest price rather than just call 1 and take.

IF something going to spoil, he will advise you on what to do (tell you how long it can roughly last and if its serious). Not serious don't need to change so soon. Can use just use to save $$$. Sometimes spoilt things can be rebuilt at very low prices rather than buy new one and thats what he does, replace carbon brushes on start motors, fuel pump seals etc. Some WS, would charge you $500 for a new starter motor and more for a new fuel pump (diesel pumps are different from petrol pumps, diesel pumps are much higher in pressure and cost alot more).

Only donwside is the he is one man show and he doesn't know electronics stuff very well and his WS is usally packed with old cars. Thus must call usually must beforehand one.

I kana chop before by many WS. Back then remember that I replace a right broken axle assembly and the WS bought the entire undercarriage assembly (including suspension) from scrap yard for over $500 instead... Then charge me over $200 to replace it. Later, I found that the individual parts are available from another scrp yard just around $200..... Damm dualn......

Edited by Mini-itx

My dad service his van at sin ming autocare. The guy is called Ah Heng (an old man). His WS is directly opposite 04-17. He is the best tech I have ever met. Very honest man and will really try to help you to save money rather earn more from you. When he find parts for you, he even call a few suppliers to find the lowest price rather than just call 1 and take.

IF something going to spoil, he will advise you on what to do (tell you how long it can roughly last and if its serious). Not serious don't need to change so soon. Can use just use to save $$$. Sometimes spoilt things can be rebuilt at very low prices rather than buy new one and thats what he does, replace carbon brushes on start motors, fuel pump seals etc. Some WS, would charge you $500 for a new starter motor and more for a new fuel pump (diesel pumps are different from petrol pumps, diesel pumps are much higher in pressure and cost alot more).

Only donwside is the he is one man show and he doesn't know electronics stuff very well and his WS is usally packed with old cars. Thus must call usually must beforehand one.

I kana chop before by many WS. Back then remember that I replace a right broken axle assembly and the WS bought the entire undercarriage assembly (including suspension) from scrap yard for over $500 instead... Then charge me over $200 to replace it. Later, I found that the individual parts are available from another scrp yard just around $200..... Damm dualn......

Good technicians are hard to come by, therefore it is good to keep these references which might come in handy.

Thanks for sharing your WS :)

↡ Advertisement