What does the maritial status 'Separated' means???

IvanHo13

I have been organising singles meetup for my Facebook friends for few months already and generally, I do not allow 'married' people into my singles event.

But recently, a guy messaged me, saying he is 'separated' and ask whether he can turn up for my singles events. I just want to check with the folks here on the legal status of 'separated'. :huh:

Does 'separated' means:

(1) one is still married but just waiting for divorce, or

(2) one is not considered married but not divorced also, i.e. like an intermediate stage

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have been organising singles meetup for my Facebook friends for few months already and generally, I do not allow 'married' people into my singles event.

But recently, a guy messaged me, saying he is 'separated' and ask whether he can turn up for my singles events. I just want to check with the folks here on the legal status of 'separated'. :huh:

Does 'separated' means:

(2) one is not considered married but not divorced also, i.e. like an intermediate stage

it is (1).

So does it mean one can go from 'separated' back to 'married' if some form of reconciliation happens? I.e. separated does not confirm equals to divorced

Does 'separated' means:

Can i join ur group? :wub:

I single.... :D

• Praise 1

yes. because courts will want to see couples seperated for 3 years before granting the divorce. so couples have to stay away from each other to fulfill this requirement.

obviously the courts want to set it at a meaningfully long period like 3 years so the feuding couples got time to think and even reconcile.

note that there is no legally recognized status as seperated. so in the eyes of the law, these couples are still married. a seperated status is just a social construct to let these people differentiate the intermediate status of being married and divorce.

Oh.. but must be single hor! Cos I got married people who tried to sneak in... but lucky I got spies all around so I got wind and banned them! :blink:

yes. because courts will want to see couples seperated for 3 years before granting the divorce. so couples have to stay away from each other to fulfill this requirement.

obviously the courts want to set it at a meaningfully long period like 3 years so the feuding couples got time to think and even reconcile.

note that there is no legally recognized status as seperated. so in the eyes of the law, these couples are still married. a seperated status is just a social construct to let these people differentiate the intermediate status of being married and divorce.

Wow! You solve my query then! So means he is still married and of cos, can't come into my event....

Man...you know what... SDN (former SDU) does not allow married people into all their events! Means this guy got to wait 3 whole years before SDN or any of its accredited agencies will take him in! And they run every single applicant with ROM list to check their marital status! So no one can cheat them!

oh haha.....i wouldn't want to take sides actually.

but i can also pity some people like them. 3 years is not a short time. so if they know for sure the marriage is gone, and just have to waste 3 years waiting, it can be quite exasperating.

clearly the courts take the view that couples are not so capable of deciding for themselves within a short time frame. so the courts want to drag it 3 years, for time to help the couples grind it out and decide for themselves.

Alamak, nowadays singles meetup is like secret society meeting. Got to do background check first before becoming member.

Aiyo... cos got black black sheep.. many married guys go there and try to land a 'quick' one if you know what I mean... I only organise such meetups for few months only but got complains against such guys liao...

I must admit it is an interesting circle to be in [rolleyes]

Edited by IvanHo13

Aiyo... cos got black black sheep.. many married guys go there and try to land a 'quick' one if you know what I mean... I only organise such meetups for few months only but got complains against such guys liao...

I must admit it is an interesting circle to be in [rolleyes]

Ha. Black sheep can be in many forms. Some singles are black sheep as well dun have to married to be one and their motive are the same. You can't stop all of them.

Edited by Watwheels

It means he's finalizing a divorce with his wife, and they are divorcing not because he cheated on her. :D

Does 'separated' means:

Is like engaged for to-be-married couples.

Means have an agreement to divorce but haven't officially yet.

BTW, I curious about your events leh. What you all do ah? Hehehe.

Is like engaged for to-be-married couples.

Means have an agreement to divorce but haven't officially yet.

BTW, I curious about your events leh. What you all do ah? Hehehe.

[sly] what do u have in mind?... orgy?.... [sly]

↡ Advertisement