Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

ok, I've been searching around for shock absorbers. Recently, I've an offer from another forum to takeover a set of used 1000km KYB Gas shock absorbers at $400. Is this a good deal or should I go stockist and the stock shock absorbers will do,

Most stock japanese cars use KYB from what i remember. why don't you get a quotation from the stockist? CoD plus receipt gives you assurance. Furthermore how much would 1000km of usage save you in terms of discount?

↡ Advertisement

My ride is a 2006 Toyota Vios and the ride is very bumpy. My passengers have complained that this is a very bumpy ride and they feel like vomitting sometimes after meals riding in my car.

I am driving a 2006 Toyota vios and the mileage is about 100k. What should I do? Change the springs and shock absorbers? I am looking for a more comfortable ride.

Did u change low profile tires or put too much air in them?

This can cause a firm n bumpy ride.

ok, I've been searching around for shock absorbers. Recently, I've an offer from another forum to takeover a set of used 1000km KYB Gas shock absorbers at $400. Is this a good deal or should I go stockist and the stock shock absorbers will do,

Check wh KYB stockist what is price of new shocks n if only slightly more, better get new.

Now KYB got new sole distributor n all come fm thailand. No more jap made.

My optra original korea shocks[gas] abt same price but slightly cheaper than thai kyb[gas] so i prefer to get originals.

If kyb made in jap, then i wil get kyb.

Check wh KYB stockist what is price of new shocks n if only slightly more, better get new.

Now KYB got new sole distributor n all come fm thailand. No more jap made.

My optra original korea shocks[gas] abt same price but slightly cheaper than thai kyb[gas] so i prefer to get originals.

If kyb made in jap, then i wil get kyb.

may know what does KYB stands for?

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I just sent my car to the workshop for servicing and after service my ride feels very rocky so I brought it back to the WS to check with them again. They said its time to change my absorber, but I told them before they service my car I don't feel the rockyness. They said maybe its because my absorber is already not very good and during servicing they jack up my car and the absorber was left "hanging" down and that might have affected it.

They recommend me to change both front and back absorber at $480 (he said this price is for genuine toyota part + labour cost). Is it really true that jacking up a car will cause the absorber to become spoilt and caused my ride to become so rocky and stiff? He mentioned that if I don't want to change the absorber its also ok just that I will feel uncomfortable driving it and just make sure it doesn't leak oil. I'm driving a 2006 Toyota Altis. Any recommendation to what I should do? This is my first car and I'm still quite noob in this. Thanks in advance!

My ride is a 2006 Toyota Vios and the ride is very bumpy. My passengers have complained that this is a very bumpy ride and they feel like vomitting sometimes after meals riding in my car.

I am driving a 2006 Toyota vios and the mileage is about 100k. What should I do? Change the springs and shock absorbers? I am looking for a more comfortable ride.

same ride, my right front shock got noise when going thru humps... suddenly a "tok" noise, wondering wat is wrong...

Hi, I just sent my car to the workshop for servicing and after service my ride feels very rocky so I brought it back to the WS to check with them again. They said its time to change my absorber, but I told them before they service my car I don't feel the rockyness. They said maybe its because my absorber is already not very good and during servicing they jack up my car and the absorber was left "hanging" down and that might have affected it.

They recommend me to change both front and back absorber at $480 (he said this price is for genuine toyota part + labour cost). Is it really true that jacking up a car will cause the absorber to become spoilt and caused my ride to become so rocky and stiff? He mentioned that if I don't want to change the absorber its also ok just that I will feel uncomfortable driving it and just make sure it doesn't leak oil. I'm driving a 2006 Toyota Altis. Any recommendation to what I should do? This is my first car and I'm still quite noob in this. Thanks in advance!

ignore them, they are just trying to part you from your cash.

Where is the 'tok' sound coming from?

Not sure what kind of suspension setup your car has but based on a coil over shock absorber setup (or coilover), I suspect one or more of the bump stops that sit between the shock body and top mount has either disintegrated or fallen off, thus when you go over high humps fast, the shock body is impacting directly against the top mount without the cushioning effect of the bump stop.

Best to bring down to your mechanic and get it checked. Could be loosen nuts/bolts somewhere along your suspension setup.

i dont trust any WS for suspension,

thats why i ended up buying my own from the US, shocks, strut, spring and bump stops.

suspension seems a major carrot point still locally, whether dealer or 3rd party. but i must say, Especially dealer...

Has anyone heard of the brand "PARAUT"?

I was calling up some stockists for a quote for KYB Excel G's today and one of the stockists recommended Paraut.

The price is almost 2/3 that of KYB and it is a Japanese OE manufacturer.

Has anyone heard of the brand "PARAUT"?

I was calling up some stockists for a quote for KYB Excel G's today and one of the stockists recommended Paraut.

The price is almost 2/3 that of KYB and it is a Japanese OE manufacturer.

Not OEM related.

↡ Advertisement