Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

Hi,

Hope to find some Mazda owners who have experience with their shock absorbers to help me on this. I have switched to coilovers when my car was about 7 months old (about 5000km mileage) and kept the stock spring and shock absorbers in my store room since.

After 4 years, I have decided to go back to stock spring and shock absorbers for more comfort. I've check the videos on youtube on how to check shock absorbers that is out of the car. in the videos, the piston when depressed fully takes about 10 seconds to fully return to the original position. Mine took about 30 seconds, longer time but still can reach the max position. Is this normal? I have checked for leaks or signs or oil on the absorbers but I couldn't see any.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

↡ Advertisement

Based on your description, its in order for reuse. If its less than 3 seconds, I would suggest buy new set instead(totally worn).

You mean if the piston once depressed, returns/rise to its original position in less than 3 seconds is considered worn? The few videos i have seen showing how a good shock absorber should behave took about 8-10 seconds for the piston to rise to the max position. 3 seconds is awfully fast and should be a good thing right?

When I replaced those worn rear shock absorbers for my previous Mini, it was like 0 seconds each direction. [laugh]

Wow, it shoot out so fast. I guess it varies for different car models. Fast car, fast recovery. Mazda is slow, so slower recovery? Kek kek kek..... Looks like i have to bring it to a workshop to let them check it out.

Just an update. I took them to a friend's uncle workshop today to let him take a look. He said they look alright to him. I took a gamble and had them imstalled back into my car. It feels good. Same response from the workshop owner who brought it out for a spin. So i guess different shocks have different recovery time to normal position when fully depressed, as long as they fully extend to the max position. Just sharing, i might be wrong but good thing is my car feels right after the installation.

Thanks to all who replied.

Hi,

Hope to find some Mazda owners who have experience with their shock absorbers to help me on this. I have switched to coilovers when my car was about 7 months old (about 5000km mileage) and kept the stock spring and shock absorbers in my store room since.

After 4 years, I have decided to go back to stock spring and shock absorbers for more comfort. I've check the videos on youtube on how to check shock absorbers that is out of the car. in the videos, the piston when depressed fully takes about 10 seconds to fully return to the original position. Mine took about 30 seconds, longer time but still can reach the max position. Is this normal? I have checked for leaks or signs or oil on the absorbers but I couldn't see any.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Shouldn't be a problem. A portion of the nitrogen gas in the shock absorber will escape over time. If there are no leakages or any damage to the unit its fine to use. You won't feel any difference even if there are no more gas left in the chamber. The gas in the shock absorber is there to prevent airation due to heat from the piston's movement.

Shouldn't be a problem. A portion of the nitrogen gas in the shock absorber will escape over time. If there are no leakages or any damage to the unit its fine to use. You won't feel any difference even if there are no more gas left in the chamber. The gas in the shock absorber is there to prevent airation due to heat from the piston's movement.

Thanks for the information. I had them for almost a week and they feel great with no sound or abnormal feel over humps. Glad that they are still ok despite being in storage for 4 years.

Anybody knows where to get the best price for Fixing CAMRY 2005 Suspension FRONT and REAR inclusive Shock Absorber ?

The Front Suspension shall include replacing Absorber Mounting , Mounting Bearing , Absorber Stopper , Front Lwr Arm , Front Linkage Inclusive labor ?

Hello all. I am in need to replace my shock absorbers as going through humps and uneven road surface is causing too much shake in the car.

Auto**** quoted me $2050 for Audi stock shock absorbers for both front and rear pair, absorber mounting, stopper, bearing, cover, and 1 year warranty.

However, another workshop *** quoted me just $1200 for Audi stock shock absorbers (with installation) and that's all was mentioned.

Who is the carrot chopper? is $2050 legit?

My BMW 318i car has about 11 more months to Scrap. Last service the workshop said my front suspension needs to replace. Does anyone know if we could get some cheap suspension replaced just for this 11 months ?

4th Gear

My BMW 318i car has about 11 more months to Scrap. Last service the workshop said my front suspension needs to replace. Does anyone know if we could get some cheap suspension replaced just for this 11 months ?

Hi, if your car is not experiencing longer braking distance or nose-dive on hard barking or instability and bottoming-out when driving you probably could drive till scrap.

As for cheap suspension you might want to check with workshops or scrapyards whether they have used ones that have been taken out when owners changed to coilovers. Off-hand I can only think of JKS which kept advertising BMW / Merc stock parts. Google them to find out more. I personally have not visited them.

After I have changed the suspension, lower arms, shock absorbers and steering tie rod end, the car doesn't feel as stable as before.

May not be serious but being a person who is sensitive to motion,  I could feel the car wobbling at normal speed such as 50km/h.  Road holding is not very smooth.

Have been living with the discomfort for ~9 months after the change.  Had gone back to the mechanic several times, but he couldn't feel any thing abnormal.

Are there any workshop which I could bring for a good diagnosis?

24 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

After I have changed the suspension, lower arms, shock absorbers and steering tie rod end, the car doesn't feel as stable as before.

May not be serious but being a person who is sensitive to motion,  I could feel the car wobbling at normal speed such as 50km/h.  Road holding is not very smooth.

Have been living with the discomfort for ~9 months after the change.  Had gone back to the mechanic several times, but he couldn't feel any thing abnormal.

If u run around 50 and steering wheel is shaking. High chance its drive shaft

I notice u never replace  the linkage and link bush. But this 2 parts normally wont cause wobbling. (They will cause knocking sound if not good)

Do not explain your problem and throw the car to the mech. Normally  what u describe is not the term  they know.

Instead go for test drive together  with the mech and show him on the spot your issue

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Any alignment results and wheels balanced? 

• Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Any alignment results and wheels balanced? 

many other reasons, it could simply be tyres  balancing issue too, a damaged rim could cause such problem as well. need some isolation to nail down the cause. of cause it could still be those components that he had replaced, but dont get blind sighted to become too focused on a few things.  

• Praise 3

47 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Wobbling is a strange term to describe the ride. Very strange to have new suspension less stable than old one, unless the springs/shocks are comfort vs old sport. 

• Praise 1