Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

in this case i think might even get to save more if we skip the make's usual stockist abd buy straight from the shocks stockist eg KYB.

Yes thats known as buying OEM parts. But make sure he get the correct part from the correct supplier.

Some shops wil try to sell u anything as long as it MIGHT fit, sometimes with need to knock here n there to get it in. :blink:[sweatdrop]

But buying OEM now is a bit more risky than b4 cos many parts made in China or Thai etc so although it is considered OEM n correct part, the quality might suck.

↡ Advertisement

sorry but i cant start a new topic yet, hoping to seek some advice from any kind bros here,

my mit is abt 5yrs old, done 120k km, after recent servicing was adviced by mech to change rear shock absorbers as its leaking oil and not damping properly. was quoted $340 to change both rear absorbers (includes Original parts and labour). Says the front absorbers are still okay dont need to change.

what is the difference between shock absorber and spring? the mech said all 4 springs are okay and dont need to change, only part need to change is the shock absorber for the rear.

so now my qn is shld i only change the rear absorbers or shld i change all 4 (front and rear) at one shot, If i just change the rear will it affect anything on the ride? and do i have to do wheel alignment after that? i also feel like i'm being [knife] after reading some of the prices other bros paid to change their absorbers.

many thanks in adv.

Yes thats known as buying OEM parts. But make sure he get the correct part from the correct supplier.

Some shops wil try to sell u anything as long as it MIGHT fit, sometimes with need to knock here n there to get it in. :blink:[sweatdrop]

But buying OEM now is a bit more risky than b4 cos many parts made in China or Thai etc so although it is considered OEM n correct part, the quality might suck.

Maybe before buying, we should try to find the part number from the car's service manual.

sorry but i cant start a new topic yet, hoping to seek some advice from any kind bros here,

my mit is abt 5yrs old, done 120k km, after recent servicing was adviced by mech to change rear shock absorbers as its leaking oil and not damping properly. was quoted $340 to change both rear absorbers (includes Original parts and labour). Says the front absorbers are still okay dont need to change.

what is the difference between shock absorber and spring? the mech said all 4 springs are okay and dont need to change, only part need to change is the shock absorber for the rear.

so now my qn is shld i only change the rear absorbers or shld i change all 4 (front and rear) at one shot, If i just change the rear will it affect anything on the ride? and do i have to do wheel alignment after that? i also feel like i'm being [knife] after reading some of the prices other bros paid to change their absorbers.

many thanks in adv.

Each wheel resides a spring and shock absorber assembly. The spring just looks like an ordinary helical spring. The shock absorber is simply a canister containing hydraulic fluids. Within the canister resides a few internal vents which the hydraulic fluid courses back and forth when the canister elongates and retracts. The internal vents causes the internal cross sectional area available for the hydraulic fluid to flow to be drastically reduce thus it provide flow resistance. How much flow resistance it provides is incorporated in design as each shock absorber is engineered for specific damping characteristic(s).

The spring provides the means for the spring and shock absorber assembly to travel. Travel in this case refers to the degree/extent of vertical elongation/retraction of the spring + shock absorber assembly. The assembly has to elongate or retract by design because as your vehicle travel over uneven terrain, there is a need to keep the chassis of your vehicle level with the ground. To ensure this, the assembly has to elongate or retract as per requirement.

The shock absorber retards the travel of the spring and of the assembly overall and "cushions" the vertical motion of the assembly overall.

Since your mechanic tells you the springs are fine, i would suggest you to simply purchase 2x rear shock absorbers and swap them out. You definitely have to do some wheel alignment after that. Depending on you, you may choose to buy the 2x shock absorbers from the Mit stockist or buy direct from the suspension stockist if you know which company makes shocks for your car model.

Edited by Happily1986

i swapped over to Cusco shocks over a year ago, only prob is that is too low for sg roads.

car parks, humps and kerbs are a nightmare.

current tyre profile R40, thinking of increasing the gap, going for wheel alignment before changing tyres which are almost worn out already

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Sorry to borrow this thread as im a newbie with insufficient post thus unable to start a brand new thread.

Im driving a 06 mazda 3 sp and encountered knocking noise when going over bumpy roads , sound seems from the rear suspension. My shock absorber are still working gd as theres no sinking feel when going over humps. I also noticed that the knocking sound willl decrease whenever theres passenger sitting at my rear, maybe the weight had supressed the knocking sound?

Any experts know the problem as its quite irritating to hear the knocking sound at times. Could it be the bearing from the shocks?

pls advise and thank you for the time and effort.

regards,

ben

Edited by Mahcosg

Anyone tried KYB absorbers with lowering springs like Vogtland.. ?

Will it last... ?

KYB G are good absorbers and stiffer than stock.

Recently I changed to KYB G plus Eibach. I like the gap - 2.5 fingers ( my fingers ) and 3 fingers at the back. But firm ride and take corners and flyovers at ease.

Btw I drive a Lancer EX

anyone knows how much does stock suspension/shock cost for toyota vios? wanna change at 80k servicing..

U can use KYB G to replace stock absobers. The springs can still be used. Go to Yuen Thong at Veerasamy. Cash n Carry shouldnt be more than $450

U can use KYB G to replace stock absobers. The springs can still be used. Go to Yuen Thong at Veerasamy. Cash n Carry shouldnt be more than $450

thanks for the rec bro.. any idea how is this compared to the stock one? cos i looking more on comfort rather den performance.. i dun speed much n i take corners slow.. haha..

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to bore all bros out there. I'm driving a 5+ year Toyota Altis and after servicing from one WS (which I got for a deal on Groupon), my ride became very bumpy. They said that my shock absorbers need to change and quoted me $780/- to change all-inclusive of computerised alignment, etc. Went to Riverview, my usual service workshop) and was quoted $600+. From what I'm reading on this thread, I should be able to get it done lower than $500/- by buying the parts myself and getting it fixed at a workshop. Can I trouble any expert Bro out there who would so kind to advise where I can get the reliable parts myself (I see that Jap made is better) and where to get it installed. Really short of cash nowadays and have to SAVE!! Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros,

I am driving a 08 Honda accord and recently noticed my car the driver side wheel arc is 1cm lower than the right side side. Basically the the driver side is lower than the right.

Driving the car so far is normal and nothing unusual. Only that it looks not too good and funny.

And of course I am wondering whats wrong with the car suspension or coil over and anything.

The car is stock and nothing has been changed, mileage is 80,000km

Thanks in advance for any kind advice given.

Regards,

Alan

Clutched

If the car front bottom down when going over potholes. Is it the spring is soft or shock weaken. ?? Dunno Wat to change to improve it now. Dun like coilover though.

Supercharged

actually i think we need to be clearer about what role does the absorber or spring plays.

like yourself, i also experiencing some issues with my absorber or spring.

i'm running the max tyre size for my ride, everytime when i ferry people or go over bumpy road.

the right rear will rub against my tyre.

from my vision, i see that the absorber sock is torn due to this friction.

as i google the net for more info, i learnt something about absorber and spring.

start with the spring, spring are pretty lasting despite losing its firmness over time.

that's why people fix spring buffer to strengthen the firmness, at our local context, i don't think we ever need to change spring.

people do that only if they wish to lower their ride or high speed corner.

now to absorber, it works as a mechanism to bring back the ride back to the initial state.

lifespan is relatively short, 5 years..

2 tyres of absorber, gas and oil.

oil will have bubble, dirt over time causing it to lose the reliability.

while gas, seem to be a better choice. stiffer and firm.

i be changing my rear absorber in my case.

of course, i can choose to live with it after all i seldom ferry people and dread doing that too.

or i can take away the sock, wait until the fine day that the absorber really give up on me..

i don

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

juz use coilovers . don bother changing cheap springs or absorbers .

Edited by Fd3s57
↡ Advertisement