Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

52 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If NIssan, sell it.

Previously, I have a Nissan Sunny that’s senget to the left.

Wheel alignment shop also give up.

Please don't ask me to sell away my Teana, I am hopelessly in love with it. :D

It used to be as stable as Titanic.  So smooth that I could almost fall asleep while driving.

With the recent change of parts, now the car sometimes rocks mildly like a waving 招財貓 on the road.

Not exactly a big problem.  I just need to get an experienced mechanic for a 2nd opinion. 

Recently passed VICOM test. No safety issue.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement

21 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Well-balanced and well-aligned.  No issues.

take away all the easy to spot issue.

some common mislook  such as

did u balance all 4 tyres? if the rear tyres balance is out by alot it will cause uneven driving also . 

another lesser but alway make mistake : is your car on sport rims? if yes did all the 4 rims have the correct centre bore ring install? did u put any spacer on your rims? if yes can try removing them.

some trouble shoot and filter out method. u mention your car wobble and unstable.

do u feel this issue only when u encounter uneven road?? if this only occur on uneven road. high chance is suspension and undercarriage issue.

if u encounter the wobbling even on very flat and even road, then can skip all the suspension factor. focus on the moving parts, ie: wheels rims tyres shaft. bore ring. 

• Praise 1

On 7/8/2015 at 12:15 AM, sudhr said:

Hi

I took my car for servicing today with the dealer. It's a 6 year old bios with 70k mileage. They are saying, the shock abs need to be changed as it is " leaky" and the costs for front and back is $1800.. Is it reasonable ? Btw i dont feel unconfirtable in driving this car and so concerned to pay this much...

I just changed my Vios front shock absorbers (with some rods and other small parts plus wheel alignment) and rear shock absorbers.  The front KYB set costs me about $850 while the rear KYB set costs me $380.  The total cost is about $1,230 and took about 5 hours to fully fix  😯 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, awhtc said:

I just changed my Vios front shock absorbers (with some rods and other small parts plus wheel alignment) and rear shock absorbers.  The front KYB set costs me about $850 while the rear KYB set costs me $380.  The total cost is about $1,230 and took about 5 hours to fully fix  😯 

U replace  at AD ah?

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Beregond said:

U replace  at AD ah?

No, it is an outside workshop at Toh Guan.  I asked for a few quotes and the price seems to be around there.

The front set is the expensive one as some ball joints had cracked.

Vios seems to have this particular issue of ball joints cracking or bending - every 4 years I change the shock absorbers sure to detect this problem.

My most expensive repairs seem to be the front suspensions.  The next most expensive one is the engine mounts.

I guess I will make a trip to a stockist soon to buy another full front sets including metal joints and 1 set of engine mounts to standby since the car has another 7+ years to go.

I may renew another 10 years COE again for my family to use.

10 minutes ago, awhtc said:

No, it is an outside workshop at Toh Guan.  I asked for a few quotes and the price seems to be around there.

The front set is the expensive one as some ball joints had cracked.

Vios seems to have this particular issue of ball joints cracking or bending - every 4 years I change the shock absorbers sure to detect this problem.

I believe  u replace some other major parts like lower arm etc.

Because just 2 shock absorber alone front 850 is very very expensive even if add in linkage  and link bush

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Because just 2 shock absorber alone front 850 is very very expensive even if add in linkage  and link bush

I saw some metal and plastic parts also replaced but not sure what they are.  The 4-5 hours job was quite extensive work and majority of the time was concentrated on the front part.  Perhaps the price could be on the higher side of the market but I think overall is okay.

I managed to install my front headlights also as the old pair was already yellow and had some water vapour condensation inside.  The labour cost was $80 and it took an additional 1 hour to fix...

Headlight.jpg

• Praise 5

23 hours ago, Beregond said:

I just checked my invoice.  Yes, you are right.  Mine was a front suspension and 4 sets of shock absorber replacements.  Every 4 years +/- wallet lightening exercise for my Vios.

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, awhtc said:

I just checked my invoice.  Yes, you are right.  Mine was a front suspension and 4 sets of shock absorber replacements.  Every 4 years +/- wallet lightening exercise for my Vios.

actually like u say, dun go compare every cents. as long as what problem u have is fix, u are happy with the car and the repair, enough liao.

25 minutes ago, Beregond said:

actually like u say, dun go compare every cents. as long as what problem u have is fix, u are happy with the car and the repair, enough liao.

When I was still a novice, I went to Autobacs to change my front suspension and replace the shock absorbers.  The bill came $2k+, I never go back again 😤

From then on, I make sure I check 3 quotes to get the market rates.

Since end of last year, the workshops seem to have raised their prices significantly compared to 2 years+ ago.

Usually, I post some details and prices of my maintenance here for my and other members' reference.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

You always whack over humps is it? 😅

Anyway, I don’t think can renew another 10 years after 20 years?

I think the metal parts are either too soft, I could be too harsh with humps, or our roads are too bumpy.

I have seen a few very old Vios NCP 42 still running around.  Their COE should have been renewed twice.

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, awhtc said:

I think the metal parts are either too soft, I could be too harsh with humps, or our roads are too bumpy.

I have seen a few very old Vios NCP 42 still running around.  Their COE should have been renewed twice.

Paiseh, got confused with commercial vehicles which have to be scrap after 20 years.

50 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Paiseh, got confused with commercial vehicles which have to be scrap after 20 years.

The only commercial vehicle which can renew in perpetuity  are the WA plate land rovers and the tow trucks. 

• Praise 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, awhtc said:

When I was still a novice, I went to Autobacs to change my front suspension and replace the shock absorbers.  The bill came $2k+, I never go back again 😤

From then on, I make sure I check 3 quotes to get the market rates.

Since end of last year, the workshops seem to have raised their prices significantly compared to 2 years+ ago.

Usually, I post some details and prices of my maintenance here for my and other members' reference.

The "since end of last year part" is legit, due to:

- Shortage of car spare parts

- Shortage of mechanics in Singapore, as they mostly have returned to Malaysia or China

Even if you try to order online and ship in parts for yourself, the parts itself take around 2-4 weeks to source, then another 1-2 weeks to ship in...

↡ Advertisement