Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

Just change the shock absorber of my car (ES5) year 05 @ milage 109k km.

Change all 4pc to KYB excel G. I did it in JB. I understand my KYB are MY made.

Total damage = RM1150 include labour and front rubber stopper (pair).

Didn't do wheel alignment yet. Mechanic told me alignment cost RM25. But I don't

know whether is it computerise alignment. Also change my timing belt on his advise.

(Not the same day. Done a week later). Item changed were timing belt, aircon belt,

alternator belt, head gasket, water pump, a bearing, 2 bot(1 lit) auto trans oil,

4lit eng oil (semi syn), oil filter. Total cost = RM960 included labour.

But I forget to change fuel filter.

KYB better is those made in Japan but now most r made in Thai. I prefer the quality of the Jap though. Made in MY I never heard b4 n I wud prefer not to get them if ty r made in MY. Price sud n about similar if u did it in SG but it depends on yr model as now the KYB shocks got many different prices fr different cars.

4 wheel computerised alignment sud b done soon after u change yr shocks as the alignment prob run out already.

JB does the computerised 4 wheel alignment fr abt RM25 but I havent tried yet. I wil try when I change my shocks soon.

Timing belt n all other belts n water pump is already due at 109K km if not done b4.

Fuel filter I dont change often as I never encounter any problems with it becoming blocked b4.

Head gasket I dont see why u change as it sud last very long. Was there any leak? I prefer not to change it unless there is a leak as the workmanship fm the factory is mostly much better than those done in SG or MY.

↡ Advertisement

If my ride is rocky and bumpy... is it because the suspension is hard or soft that causes the bumpiness???

Also, for shock absorber, does it comes with softer version and harder version??.. In order to reduce the rocky and bumpy feeling, should i can a harder or softer one.

What model car u driving?

If my ride is rocky and bumpy... is it because the suspension is hard or soft that causes the bumpiness???

Also, for shock absorber, does it comes with softer version and harder version??.. In order to reduce the rocky and bumpy feeling, should i can a harder or softer one.

Kia Cerato Forte EX

B4 u go changing yr shocks, check yr tire pressure 1st.

Too hard wil make the ride bumpy. If u r following the recommended pressure as stated in yr handbook(N not what some pple tell u to pump) try to reduce a bit(1-5 kpa n see if it improves n yr handling is still ok.

Hi,

I'm on a 5yr old Altis and past 80K. Last servicing at BM was advised to change shock absorbers but was quoted a ridiculously high $$ to chamge all 4. Anyhow, long story short, I've been checking up and looks like the couple of brands keep popping up so hoping those with experience can share their opinions on these makes of shocks so as to help me in deciding which to go for.

Tokico: I've read that it's softer than OEM but there were guys who say it's comfortable

KYB: seems to have good feedback as good when travelling fast (qn: how 'fast' is fast'? 90km/hr?... 110km/hr?... or 250km/hr?)

OEM: from a workshop guy. Says cannot go wrong (I suppose)

Anyhow, my car is only cosmetically enhanced but no performance/power parts...pretty much stock in that department. I travel frequently on expressways in lane1 but never exceeding the speed limit ... much [;)]. Am looking for shocks that will provide for a comfortable ride on both expressways and on normal road and need not cater to Initial D driving as I'm just an old beng in an unker car...

Anyone can help recommended which of the above would suit me best?... thanks in advance :D

Edited by Scoots

Hi,

I'm on a 5yr old Altis and past 80K. Last servicing at BM was advised to change shock absorbers but was quoted a ridiculously high $$ to chamge all 4. Anyhow, long story short, I've been checking up and looks like the couple of brands keep popping up so hoping those with experience can share their opinions on these makes of shocks so as to help me in deciding which to go for.

Tokico: I've read that it's softer than OEM but there were guys who say it's comfortable

KYB: seems to have good feedback as good when travelling fast (qn: how 'fast' is fast'? 90km/hr?... 110km/hr?... or 250km/hr?)

OEM: from a workshop guy. Says cannot go wrong (I suppose)

Anyhow, my car is only cosmetically enhanced but no performance/power parts...pretty much stock in that department. I travel frequently on expressways in lane1 but never exceeding the speed limit ... much [;)]. Am looking for shocks that will provide for a comfortable ride on both expressways and on normal road and need not cater to Initial D driving as I'm just an old beng in an unker car...

Anyone can help recommended which of the above would suit me best?... thanks in advance :D

I suggest u stick with the OEM shocks which r KYB.

U can get them from outside suppliers like Chin Hon at race Course Rd or several other places but most r now made in Thai unless u can find the Jap made fr yr car. Then I recommend u get Jap made as their quality is better but slightly more ex, but worth the $. Fr better handling, get e gas shocks if u can find.

Just get a trusted ws to install fr u. Dont forget to change the 2 rubber stoppers fr e front pair n do a computerised 4 wheel alignment after (even if e ws tells u no need).

If u get it done at the Agent, prepare to pay much more $ cos agents always r much more ex n sometimes e quality of the work sux.

Edited by Pisces69

Hi,

hi,

can share how much bm charge for that?

if not convenient can PM me :)

just want to know, estimated how much change for something like that from AD.

I suggest u stick with the OEM shocks which r KYB.

U can get them from outside suppliers like Chin Hon at race Course Rd or several other places but most r now made in Thai unless u can find the Jap made fr yr car. Then I recommend u get Jap made as their quality is better but slightly more ex, but worth the $. Fr better handling, get e gas shocks if u can find.

Just get a trusted ws to install fr u. Dont forget to change the 2 rubber stoppers fr e front pair n do a computerised 4 wheel alignment after (even if e ws tells u no need).

If u get it done at the Agent, prepare to pay much more $ cos agents always r much more ex n sometimes e quality of the work sux.

Thanks!

Yeah. Have checked out stockists and the pricing for KYB is not too much higher than the others. So most likely I will be going for those since I've not come across any negative comments about that.

And yes. will definitely be going for computerised wheel alignment... didn't know about that rubber stoppers part so thanks for the heads up =)

Think you have to get quote fr the workshop you have in mind. The one I'm going quoted ard 100

That is reasonable. With alignment?