Top 5 questions to ask every used car dealer

Coldshot

Hello guys

I'm planning to get my first 2nd hand car soon. I'm seriously a noob when it comes to buying cars.

I'm pretty sure those car dealers can smell my 'noobness' when i go car shopping. [rolleyes]

To those pple here who have bought 2nd hand cars a couple of times, pls list your top 5 must ask questions to the dealer.

I think many of us new to buying cars can use such questions to our benefit when we go car shopping.

So please shoot away.

↡ Advertisement

Just one question u need to ask, another dealer.

1) gave the car number plate and details to another dealer and ask them how much they will take in this car!

The price quoted will be the price you should ideally be buying it!

• Haha! 1

Just one question u need to ask, another dealer.

1) gave the car number plate and details to another dealer and ask them how much they will take in this car!

The price quoted will be the price you should ideally be buying it!

Sounds like a good tip. Will come in handy when bargaining

Sounds like a good tip. Will come in handy when bargaining

hmmm good tip.....but lidat....can nvr make any purchase from dealer....they need some 'margins' as to pay rental....staff salary...utility bills...& other blah blah fees [laugh]

1) Had the odometer been tempered with?

2) Any previous accident?

3) Had the car been to the track?

4) Had the car gone up north and any tickets outstanding?

5) Are you lying?

The answer will be obvious... [rolleyes]:D :D :D

Edited by Vratenza
  • Haha! 2

seriously...never take their word for it....

do the following...not fool proof but add a few layers of security:

1) see the printout of the owner log card to confirm: no. of transfer, OMV value, COE value, date of registration and date of manufacture

2) if they claim fully serviced at AD, check with AD on the last serviced date and mileage +/- any major accident claim. (verify the odometer + check major servicing done and parts replaced)

3) if they claim full service record outside workshop, ask them to show the invoice. If they unable to proof it, take it as non-existence. (verify the odometer...the invoice will usually show the mileage serviced)

4) If they have STA/vicom cert already, ask for a fresh one to be done at your own expense at your own choice of branch, date and timing (without allowing them chance to "pre-arrange").

5) Always ask the car to be passed at your WS of your choice.....can put down in writing the conditions when you will reject the deal with full refund)

Edited by Vratenza

No matter what, you should ALWAYS get a pre-purchase inspection from the AA or a workshop of your choosing, this is the most basic when buying a used car.

No matter what, you should ALWAYS get a pre-purchase inspection from the AA or a workshop of your choosing, this is the most basic when buying a used car.

Will there be dealers who insist on sending the car only to STA and no where else?

if you ask those question, the typical ah-beng looking, smoker & coffee breath, aka car dealer salesman, will not mind showing you his middle finger and shout back "si-ginna don come here play play hor!!!".

this is due to current hot demand for 2nd hand car & a carrot head is just a call away.

the car market is theirs, for now.

seriously...never take their word for it....

do the following...not fool proof but add a few layers of security:

1) see the printout of the owner log card to confirm: no. of transfer, OMV value, COE value, date of registration and date of manufacture

2) if they claim fully serviced at AD, check with AD on the last serviced date and mileage +/- any major accident claim. (verify the odometer + check major servicing done and parts replaced)

3) if they claim full service record outside workshop, ask them to show the invoice. If they unable to proof it, take it as non-existence. (verify the odometer...the invoice will usually show the mileage serviced)

4) If they have STA/vicom cert already, ask for a fresh one to be done at your own expense at your own choice of branch, date and timing (without allowing them chance to "pre-arrange").

5) Always ask the car to be passed at your WS of your choice.....can put down in writing the conditions when you will reject the deal with full refund)

Fpr pt 4, all we have to do is make an appt with STA and let the dealer know?

No.1 question!!

Price and all the cost esp. things like transfer fee, processing fee etc........

Most of the time, prices is purely car price. Dealer will charge you processing fee for doing transfer and taking up loans etc..... This has no margin one. When I bought my first car, I kana chop carrot head of $800 processing fee!! WTF!!

Then some require you to buy insurance from them as well. Cannot get your own. So must bargain.

No.2 Check for warranty. Dealers love to say no repairs needed! then if drive 3 days break down how? Some have their own WS to repair your car, others don't so must ask and check.

No.3 Tyres. Not so much of a question but make sure you are getting decent and not worn tyres. I kana worn tyres because I failed to check, have to spend $300 to replace 2 tyres just after 1 week..... CB man.....

No.4 Check for accidents. If dealer say Accident free, !!WRITE DOWN IN BLACK AND WHITE ON THE INVOICE!! I have face dealers who tell me accident free but don't dare to write down in black and white. If they say don't need to write, you look somewhere else.

For anyting the dealer says PUT IT IN WRITING.

Ask them the specific questions

"so what are all the fees related to the purchase of this car - can itemise in writing please"

And you are under no obligation at all to take their insurance, so if they try to force, tell them to fly kite.

Fpr pt 4, all we have to do is make an appt with STA and let the dealer know?

NO!......That defeats the purpose of getting a fresh one done right?

The best inspection will still be an experienced workshop that is familiar with the car you are buying...these they can advise on any visual signs of accidents as well as help you check on the engine and transmission (2 biggest ticket items in terms of repair)

STA/Vicom is good for their computerized chasis alignment check that will reveal major chasis intrusion/accident.

If you dun have the workshop and want to go for STA... you can try the following:

Get the dealer to agree to send your car for inspection. Don't tell them where exactly. Just tell the sales person to get ready to drive the car to meet you at a general location near to the branch or WS at a certain time/date. After you meet him, both of you can proceed to your appt timing at the branch or WS you chose. That way, you minimize the kopi $$ issue that had been plaguing STA/Vicom.

Of cos you must have a prior written agreement that if the car is anything less than A for a <2yr car or less than B for a >2yr car, you get reimbursed for the inspection cost and the deal is void and you get full refund of the deposit. IF the inspection is ok, you absorb the inspection cost.

Edited by Vratenza

1st question: Is this the best price you can quote to me?

2nd question: Are you selling new car or used car??

3rd question: How I know you are not lying to me?

4th question: You think I'm born yesterday?

5th question: See 1st question.

:D

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement