Top 5 questions to ask every used car dealer

Coldshot

can put black and white to refund deposit if bank don approve loan and there is no other car in their premises that meet yr needs?

can waive admin fee, after they confrim the car price with u?

any other charges not mentioned?

if car breakdown within 2 weeks repair free?

can get own insurance?

Edited by Tom_kkh

Asking them is like asking a fruit seller... Unlce, you apple sweet or not? *Then he will say to you, No, not sweet. Dont buy, dont buy!!

i thought they will say "sweet, confirmed sweet! if not sweet, u bring back i SURE exchange for u!"

Neutral Newbie

Hi I would like to seek for advice:

I bought a COE 2nd Hand car on 13 December 2019 and trade in my car. When I bought the car i ask the car dealer how long warranty u give me. He said 1 month. Yesterday 01 January 2020 my car brokedown and I call the car dealer he said can send his workshop or my workshop so i tow to my workshop. Today, 02 January 2020, my workshop said its gearbox problem. Repair cost arou d $1300-$1500. I call my car dealer he said this one he cannot bear the cost fully and ask me share the cost 50-50 and send the car to his workshop to repair. He ask me to pay $650 for the repair cost and I need to pay for the towing cost $50x2 (yesterday to my workshop and now from my workshop to his workshop).

I hope some experts can advise what should i do now.

18 hours ago, Shammy said:

I bought a COE 2nd Hand car on 13 December 2019 and trade in my car. When I bought the car i ask the car dealer how long warranty u give me. He said 1 month. Yesterday 01 January 2020 my car brokedown and I call the car dealer he said can send his workshop or my workshop so i tow to my workshop. Today, 02 January 2020, my workshop said its gearbox problem. Repair cost arou d $1300-$1500. I call my car dealer he said this one he cannot bear the cost fully and ask me share the cost 50-50 and send the car to his workshop to repair. He ask me to pay $650 for the repair cost and I need to pay for the towing cost $50x2 (yesterday to my workshop and now from my workshop to his workshop).

What is the dealer name?

34 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:
18 hours ago, Shammy said:

I thought Lemon Law covers engine and transmission faults for 6 months after purchase? You should not be paying a single cent. 

My dealer also said one month warranty but when the shock absorber leaked within 2 weeks, he said that is not covered as it is wear and tear

21 hours ago, Shammy said:

Option 1: Repair at your own cost

Option 2: Take up dealer offer. No guarantee 1 ho

Option 3: Sell the car

21 hours ago, Shammy said:

ask for his share of the repair cost. say 1300/2 = 650, then you go outside do. becos you go his workshop, u wont exactly know what was changed or done. also, wat exactly is the issue? did you get a vw?

17 hours ago, Vinceng said:

My dealer also said one month warranty but when the shock absorber leaked within 2 weeks, he said that is not covered as it is wear and tear

From Torque:

"Warranties are compulsory now, but didn’t new cars always have these?
Car dealers have always provided warranties, but their coverage was never legally mandated until the Lemon Law was enacted. This new law states that if a previously undocumented defect is found in a new car within six months of its registration date, that fault will be deemed to have existed at the time of delivery."

https://www.torque.com.sg/features/8-things-to-know-about-singapores-lemon-law/

You should not let them accuse u of wear n tear problem after a few weeks. Wear and tear is something that happens over a long period of time by definition so even if u contributed ur not the only one and the dealer has responsibility for most of the prev owners usage. And at 2 weeks thats ridiculous ... at most u shld say u contribute 5-10% of wear and tear to be "reasonable" even tho by law u dont have to bear anything.

I used to ask got discount or not.

Mt fren taught me to ask

How much is the discount? 

So now I never ask got clock the milage or not

I now ask

Did you clock 100k or 50k or just 30k?

:grin: 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 1/2/2020 at 6:49 PM, Shammy said:

Have experienced similar issues with my used car

depends on how much u paid for your car and u get a sense the dealer's profits when he sold to you, that will also give you a sense how hard u wish to push for full repair cost

you are lucky dealer entertained you

In my case, i invoked the lemon law and then negotiate to save time and trouble

50-50, 25-75 are reasonable options 

dealers who are kind enough to take at least part responsibility should be lauded, they too need to earn a living   

• Praise 3

I got Facebook video feeds of 2nd hand car dealers in China shopping for cars.

1. They would check conditions of nuts and screws to see if the panels have been touched for parts replacement.

2.  Some would use a small paint thickness meter/analyzer  to go over the car body to see which part of the car had been heavily repainted.

Has anyone used this paint analyzer?  If it is cheap and effective, I may be interested to buy one to go over my 11year car to see which parts had been repaired/repainted by ex-owners.

3 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I got Facebook video feeds of 2nd hand car dealers in China shopping for cars.

1. They would check conditions of nuts and screws to see if the panels have been touched for parts replacement.

2.  Some would use a small paint thickness meter/analyzer  to go over the car body to see which part of the car had been heavily repainted.

Has anyone used this paint analyzer?  If it is cheap and effective, I may be interested to buy one to go over my 11year car to see which parts had been repaired/repainted by ex-owners.

So what would you do if you happen to find out?

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

So what would you do if you happen to find out?

On those parts  which had been heavily-dented and repaired, I would put more sponges and tie with raffia strings  

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4