BMW X1

Mockngbrd

Oh yeah. Based on 3 series platform, my mistake.

Aiya, so stiff for what?

it's a BMW.....for sporty people.....stiff ride is part of their characteristics.....

you want soft suspension???

get Audi or Mercedes-Benz..... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

it's a BMW.....for sporty people.....stiff ride is part of their characteristics.....

you want soft suspension???

get Audi or Mercedes-Benz..... [laugh]

Audi also stiff suspension. Merc got stiff seats.

Audi also stiff suspension. Merc got stiff seats.

BMW is stiff seats and stiff suspension..... [laugh]

Mercedes and Audi still ok.....can adjust their suspension comfort (or stiffness, which ever way you like to call it as) levels.....

To me it's no point a crossover or SUV having a stiff ride. Once the ride height is raised the character and handling of the car is dynamically changed, no matter how the manufacturer stiffen the suspension. And since like you said it's some lifestyle vehicle might as well make it comfortable with softer suspension.

They already have the 1 series. They can make this one as stiff as they like. Although the X1 is using the same platform but it does not have to perform like the 1 series hatch.

Doesn't the X1 use the 3 series platform?

How's the ride comfort and rear view? The rear view seems very clutered thus creating a lot of blind spots.

Ride comfort is adequate, yup the suspension is on the more stiff side but really depends on the driver. I don't mind it because it translates into pretty fun handling. The handling's really good.

Blind spots, non at all.. seriously... non at all.... it feels especially airy once you' roll back the glassroof covers.

P1050977_800.jpg

what's the occasion for having the X1 for the past 2 days?

On test/review

there will be blind spots aplenty.....

dude... you can tell just by looking at it?

The X1 review in one_shift.com gave comments like "stiffly sprung suspension" and "relatively low ride height". Kinda unusually for crossover or SUV. Expecting softer suspension for comfortable ride since the power to weight figures(150hp, 200Nm, Kerb weight 1505kg) does not hint anything sporty. I dun think FC will fair very well either.

The one in the review has grey interior while TS's is beige. The grey interior does look kinda plasticky with not so nice plastics on the centre console and dash, my opinion. Perhaps it's the camera they are using, very "un-vivid" colours. TS 's pics are way better. Gotto go see the real thing for myself.

Yes you should go have a look. I actually think its a pretty good car and at a list price of 158k, closest rival is a higher-spec Tiguan. Really up to you which u prefer. I like BMWs for their handling, interior and overall "feel". VW's are a bit pedestrian imo, even with the Scirocco, the interior is kind of a let-down.

To me it's no point a crossover or SUV having a stiff ride. Once the ride height is raised the character and handling of the car is dynamically changed, no matter how the manufacturer stiffen the suspension. And since like you said it's some lifestyle vehicle might as well make it comfortable with softer suspension.

Not so true, take the X6 for example, the way that car moves around corners is unbelivable for a car it's size.

Though yes the X1 is a tad stiff for a small SUV-looking vehicle, when you park it nex to other cars, it actually isn't much higher in height and dimensions-wise isn't all that much bigger. It just looks more chunky. Driving feel wise its more sit-in-car-like then sit-on-suv-like.

Yup, the X1 is based on the same platform as the AWD BMW 3 Series Touring. Which also brings back the price equation, 158k for something built on a 3 series platform, it's only a "1" in name. I think it's pretty good given the price point.

I'll do a more proper writeup when i get back from overseas. Heading off to the airport... bon voyage

Edited by Mockngbrd

Ride comfort is adequate, yup the suspension is on the more stiff side but really depends on the driver. I don't mind it because it translates into pretty fun handling. The handling's really good.

Blind spots, non at all.. seriously... non at all....

there will be blind spots aplenty.....

dude... you can tell just by looking at it?

The X1 review in one_shift.com gave comments like "stiffly sprung suspension" and "relatively low ride height". Kinda unusually for crossover or SUV. Expecting softer suspension for comfortable ride since the power to weight figures(150hp, 200Nm, Kerb weight 1505kg) does not hint anything sporty. I dun think FC will fair very well either.

The one in the review has grey interior while TS's is beige. The grey interior does look kinda plasticky with not so nice plastics on the centre console and dash, my opinion. Perhaps it's the camera they are using, very "un-vivid" colours. TS 's pics are way better. Gotto go see the real thing for myself.

Yes you should go have a look. I actually think its a pretty good car and at a list price of 158k, closest rival is a higher-spec Tiguan. Really up to you which u prefer. I like BMWs for their handling, interior and overall "feel". VW's are a bit pedestrian imo, even with the Scirocco, the interior is kind of a let-down.

Not so true, take the X6 for example, the way that car moves around corners is unbelivable for a car it's size.

Though yes the X1 is a tad stiff for a small SUV-looking vehicle, when you park it nex to other cars, it actually isn't much higher in height and dimensions-wise isn't all that much bigger. It just looks more chunky. Driving feel wise its more sit-in-car-like then sit-on-suv-like.

Yup, the X1 is based on the same platform as the AWD BMW 3 Series Touring. Which also brings back the price equation, 158k for something built on a 3 series platform, it's only a "1" in name. I think it's pretty good given the price point.

The X1 is based on the same platform as the AWD BMW 3 Series Touring

one would be better of with the upcoming new X3 then???

(edited)

and what's your occasion for having the X1 for 2 days???

Back in SG.

answered ur question above.

one would be better of with the upcoming new X3 then???

er.... ur question abit the duh right? different segment/class... like that, might as well say X5 is betterest

Edited by Mockngbrd

it's been noted that the new X3 is just 2cm shorter than the previous X5.....

size wise, it's pretty darn close to the previous X5 as well, though it may not look the part.....

X1 is a good entry level crossover SUV to the BMW brand,

but since both X1 and X3 has the same basic platform,

i wonder if both cars are actually rivalling each other???