Latest news : SAF Apache heli

Adrianli

Under the circumstances, the pilot's best option is to force land on a turf area.

Remember the ex-USAF now airline pilot landed a liner on the Hudson River after a birdstrike on the engines not too long ago? Not one terrified passenger or crew died...

Man, that guy's reaction was super! [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

precisely!!

not only his landing skills.....

it's also his quick decision to land in the river..... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I doubt this incident will be swept under the carpet. If it happened inside the airbase, then easy to close case. But this time, it involves many many ppl + media. It will be HBOI case. Someone will sure kenna, either maintenance crew, pilot or manufacturer.

Either human error or mechanical fault.

Not likely a birdstrike or anything like that.

Bottom line is that it will be $$$$ unless it is a mechanical fault and billed to the manufacturer?

Haha just had a thought:

Will the pilot & his crew member submit whiplash medical claims from the manufacturer if,and I stress again if, they are at fault?

(All these increases in motor premiums is getting into me.... [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry] )

dumb example for dump people.....

since i'm not replying to you,

STFU would be better for you k???..... [nod]

You want me to STFU, you gotta meet me and make me, deal?

precisely!!

not only his landing skills.....

it's also his quick decision to land in the river..... [laugh]

I think the aerodynamics of a passenger jet or a military jet as compared to a chopper are very different.

I am trying to recall my school physics & correct me if I am wrong.

The jets generate lift from their wings whereas the choppers uses their rotors to do that.

Given the Hudson River case, the pilot was able to utilise whatever little amount of lift left to safely glide the jet along the river surface.

For a out of control chopper, like Adrian mentioned, the only viable option would be to autorotate & hope to land the machine in one piece. Else if that does not work, it will drop from the sky like a brick.

In the latter case, it would be ideal to have a "soft" landing like a turf area & cross your fingers.

If I am a chopper pilot, I will not choose a river to do a emergency landing unless I have no choice.

Edited by Vulcann

You want me to STFU, you gotta meet me and make me, deal?

aiyo, another put time put place....

please proceed to the other thread to redeem your coupon and forgive him [laugh] [laugh]

I think the aerodynamics of a passenger jet or a military jet as compared to a chopper are very different.

I am trying to recall my school physics & correct me if I am wrong.

The jets generate lift from their wings whereas the choppers uses their rotors to do that.

Given the Hudson River case, the pilot was able to utilise whatever little amount of lift left to safely glide the jet along the river surface.

For a out of control chopper, like Adrain mentioned, the only viable option would be to autorotate & hope to land the machine in one piece. Else if that does not work, it will drop from the sky like a brick.

In the latter case, it would be ideal to have a "soft" landing like a turf area & cross your fingers.

If I am a chopper pilot, I will not choose a river to do a emergency landing unless I have no choice.

yup....you're right..... [laugh]

that's why they say,

Helicopter Pilots are the "sadest"..... [laugh] when it comes to emergency cases.....

can't eject, can't 'glide' the air-craft to safety.....

From wat I know, NO chopper pilot want to land in water.

1) Heli will sink

2) Difficulty in escape from c0ckpit, they dont have ur fighter pilot kind of rocket ejection seats. [laugh]

3) Total loss, unable to recover precious electronics

4) Heli is inherently unstable, it will not glide in the sky. It will drop like rock when the rotor stops spinning

Given a choice, I would rather land on soft turf in emergency cases.

From wat I know, NO chopper pilot want to land in water.

1) Heli will sink

2) Difficulty in escape from c0ckpit, they dont have ur fighter pilot kind of rocket ejection seats. [laugh]

3) Total loss, unable to recover precious electronics

4) Heli is inherently unstable, it will not glide in the sky. It will drop like rock when the rotor stops spinning

Given a choice, I would rather land on soft turf in emergency cases.

Unless folks in the US can invent a giant net to "HOP" out-of-control choppers machiam a giant fish net? :D:D:D

Like in WWII, USN's aircraft carriers were equipped with deck nettings to trap their out-of-fuel/damaged fighters or dive/torpedo bombers if all else failed? Then again the planes those days were all propeller-driven (late in the war then got the world's first jet by the Jerries) so maybe the speed/momentum was still not that great and can still use nets to stop these planes.

Ooops OT liao...

Comments Made by DPM Teo on RSAF Apache AH-64 Helicopter Emergency Landing

During Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence Teo Chee Hean's official visit to India, he commented on the helicopter incident which happened on 30 September 2010. The following is the transcript:

"I have been receiving regular updates from Singapore. Our preliminary findings are that a mechanical problem was the cause of the incident. We are conducting investigations together with the manufacturers of the aircraft. Our preliminary findings also show that designated flight routes and emergency procedures were followed and these allowed the pilots to land the aircraft in an open field. Our next steps are to make sure that we do a thorough investigation to find the root cause. We will thoroughly inspect our Apaches and Seahawks before any decision is made to resume flying of these aircraft."

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_...01oct10_nr.html

Under the circumstances, the pilot's best option is to force land on a turf area.

Remember the ex-USAF now airline pilot landed a liner on the Hudson River after a birdstrike on the engines not too long ago? Not one terrified passenger or crew died...

Man, that guy's reaction was super! [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Bro, the plane body is designed to float (at least for a while), hence there are water slides attached to the emergency exits...hahah

The helicopter is not - it will drop like a stone into the water (some dumb kid here don't even know that - which proves that empty vessels make the most noise)...

whahaha, is this the dumbest example I have seen or actually you mean something else?

Were you expecting anything different from him? hahah

You can't make a leather purse out of sow's ear bro [laugh]

One little boy ask me........." Can put a parachute for the helicoptor?".............

don't know how to answer him so ask him to go library to find out......any one can help? :)

One little boy ask me........." Can put a parachute for the helicoptor?".............

don't know how to answer him so ask him to go library to find out......any one can help? :)

The parachute may get entangled with the rotating blades which can be even more dangerous.

Good try from the kid though.

The parachute may get entangled with the rotating blades which can be even more dangerous.

[thumbsup] Will let him know...thanks

Actually can - they do skydive out of helicopters...hahah

Of course, it depends on when you deploy the chute

↡ Advertisement