Newbie with conti car asking for advice

Lgt1977

hi bros, i need advice from bros here with conti experience.

I am thinking of switching car to a conti car if it fits into my budget and I am looking for car which is more then 5 years on the road. Can the bros here advice me on what are the things to look out for while searching for this type of 2nd hand cars? I am currently eyeing on some bimmers and VW that is available on the 2nd hand market but I will also jump at the change of own an audi or a merc if there is any.

I read so much pros and cons about the realibility and spare parts or maintance which is also a main concern of mine coz i dont know what to expect for this type of cars which is this old. Hopefully I can get some direction from bros here.

P/S my history of owning cars are rather young. I only managed to own a honda and a hyundai so far.

thank u bros in advance who take their time and patient to answer my noob questions. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

I am thinking of switching car to a conti car if it fits into my budget and I am looking for car which is more then 5 years on the road. Can the bros here advice me on what are the things to look out for while searching for this type of 2nd hand cars? I am currently eyeing on some bimmers and VW that is available on the 2nd hand market but I will also jump at the change of own an audi or a merc if there is any.

I read so much pros and cons about the realibility and spare parts or maintance which is also a main concern of mine coz i dont know what to expect for this type of cars which is this old. Hopefully I can get some direction from bros here.

P/S my history of owning cars are rather young. I only managed to own a honda and a hyundai so far.

thank u bros in advance who take their time and patient to answer my noob questions. [thumbsup]

get a bimmer or merc, spare parts easier to get and not to forget buy AD car not PI one.

may i know ur budget?

Seem like now is a trend for a move to conti.....i own a merc, and so far maintenance is not really that high....just regular servicing, and of course depends where u go for servicing....

For me, i prefer to go back to cycle purely because i know i can trust that they will do their job well and they have a reputation to uphold....there are outside workshop that do merc, but i rather not have more hassle on whether they are good or bad kind of thing....simple term, i want quality and reliability.

hope u can find your ride soon....

Seem like now is a trend for a move to conti.....i own a merc, and so far maintenance is not really that high....just regular servicing, and of course depends where u go for servicing....

For me, i prefer to go back to cycle purely because i know i can trust that they will do their job well and they have a reputation to uphold....there are outside workshop that do merc, but i rather not have more hassle on whether they are good or bad kind of thing....simple term, i want quality and reliability.

hope u can find your ride soon....

ha?? maintenance not high?? how much u pay for servicing?

Neutral Newbie

last time I went to PML test driving cars, the SE showed me servicing receipts of a 5 series, ranging from $200~350 only... even plus changing brake pads, total $600+

A day after I called Mini Habitat, how much to service my R56, the answer is S$690+. [knife] OMFG

last time I went to PML test driving cars, the SE showed me servicing receipts of a 5 series, ranging from $200~350 only... even plus changing brake pads, total $600+

A day after I called Mini Habitat, how much to service my R56, the answer is S$690+. [knife] OMFG

yesterday my E250 cost me 600+ in servicing and plus 80 dollar delivery charge cos i lazy send my car to workshop

overall 700+ [sweatdrop]

this is first service and only change oil and check here check there

it definitely cost more to run a conti vs a jap, although you can lower that by sourcing for cheaper parts, oils etc. servicing can do at workshops that do conti because ADs definitely charge more. cheaper doesn't mean inferior. you must know where to get. however, major servicing will still cost a small fortune.

a lot of contis face the problem of melting interiors, especially those over 5 years. fuel economy is generally worse than jap, except for the modern VWs. you gain in terms of crash safety, a firm ride, better sound proofing etc.

a lot of contis face the problem of melting interiors, especially those over 5 years. fuel economy is generally worse than jap, except for the modern VWs. you gain in terms of crash safety, a firm ride, better sound proofing etc.

Melting plastic (due to use of soft touch plastic and coating to make it feel/look nicer), I agree. But Fuel economy, I don't agree. Now, most contis are more fuel efficient than Jap. (And for the fact that the figures declared are normally closer to the real world than Jap).

While the Jap's hard plastic don't melt, they actually chip off and crack under our harsh weather. Only thing is that, it does not irritate more than melting/sticky plastic.

Edited by Kangadrool

Melting plastic (due to use of soft touch plastic and coating to make it feel/look nicer), I agree. But Fuel economy, I don't agree. Now, most contis are more fuel efficient than Jap. (And for the fact that the figures declared are normally closer to the real world than Jap).

While the Jap's hard plastic don't melt, they actually chip off and crack under our harsh weather. Only thing is that, it does not irritate more than melting/sticky plastic.

like i said, cars like the modern VWs (TSI, DSG etc) are very fuel efficient. most contis are heavy, that's the problem.

3 series BMWs above 5 years are going at pretty attractive prices right now I think. Plus, super-high conti depreciation has mostly been absorbed already! Saw a few examples at Turf City going at 60+ - 70k...but dunno whether it's flood car anot...

buying a conti car which is 5 years old is asking for serious trouble. speaking from personal experience. this is the time when things start falling apart and you repair until you xiao.

Well kept, regularly serviced and low-mileage examples should pose no problems whatsoever. My mate's had one (3-series) since new for about 5 years now, in perfect running condition and looks to stay that way for years to come. Cars in general, conti/jap, are not made to last only 5 years before falling apart, they are made (especially contis) to last a lifetime. Only here in Singapore, with the COE mentality, do people believe that a car's lifespan is 10 years [shakehead]

Well kept, regularly serviced and low-mileage examples should pose no problems whatsoever. My mate's had one (3-series) since new for about 5 years now, in perfect running condition and looks to stay that way for years to come. Cars in general, conti/jap, are not made to last only 5 years before falling apart, they are made (especially contis) to last a lifetime. Only here in Singapore, with the COE mentality, do people believe that a car's lifespan is 10 years [shakehead]

yeah, but when a car roughly turns 5 yrs old, things start to spoil due to ear and tear and needs to be changed, like timing belt , water pump, alternator, mounting, shocks, ignition system, brake disc, compressor, fan, you name it. easily comes up to few k not to mention conti car parts are much more expensive. if unlucky, maybe even need gear box overhaul. of cos depend on mileage also.

Edited by Vextan

Perhaps, they are too many people who are SOLD on extended oil change interval using super duper oil.

IMHO, using normal oil and get it changed frequently (min every 6 months) is far better than extended OCI.

Imagine driving in stop-start traffic for 20,000 km before changing oil. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by Kangadrool

yeah, but when a car roughly turns 5 yrs old, things start to spoil due to ear and tear and needs to be changed, like timing belt , water pump, alternator, mounting, shocks, ignition system, brake disc, compressor, fan, you name it. easily comes up to few k not to mention conti car parts are much more expensive. if unlucky, maybe even need gear box overhaul. of cos depend on mileage also.

Haha! True also lah. That's why regular maintenance is so important. If the car comes with full service history and all, it's OK to spend on replacing key wear & tear parts to extend the life of your car for another 10 - 20 years, once again with constant regular maintainance. Also, all these parts don't need to be replaced at the same time. Spread out your upgrading over a few years, it's easier on your wallet and not to mention quite fun as well! [thumbsup]

Perhaps, they are too many people who are SOLD on extended oil change interval using super duper oil.

IMHO, using normal oil and get it changed frequently (min every 6 months) is far better than extended OCI.

Imagine driving in stop-start traffic for 20,000 km before changing oil. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Too true. It's far better to make frequent oil changes using normal oil. Super duper oil is expensive and feels good at first. But after a thousand kilometres or less, it feels exactly as it would've if you'd used a normal oil in the first place <_<

First thing is to take your time in choosing the car. Dun rush and make sure that major things like timing belts haf been replaced. This can be very costly. I spent about $600+ a few years ago. This was wif me bringing in the parts and going to an independant mechanic. Still cheaper tho' compared to agent who was charging $1000+

Secondly try to get contacts of stockist. They can save hundreds of dollars when it comes to repair cost. U can most likely get their contacts from other forums. Try to get contacts of reputable independant mechanics. Some of these guyz are former mechanics wif C&C or performance and set up their own shop. They too can save u hundreds in labour cost and plus some do offer a personal touch like my previous mechanic. I despise going back to the agents unless the car is still under warranty.

Overall a second hand conti can be an enjoyable experience. My family has had contis since forever and most haf been second hand. If they are properly maitained they will last till past scrapage. Hope my lil bit of info helps. [:)]

↡ Advertisement