OEM or Original parts"?

Tigershark1976

Hi Guys, Just came bk from a sparepart shop n bought another 6 pcs of oil filter for my car.

All along, i always buy original toyota oil filer but today, I changed my mind and get someting cheaper- Denso oil filter.

Some of you may know that that Toyota oil filter is manufactured by Denso and i dont think that there is any different between denso filter vs toyota filter since it is manufactured by the same company. But the price is 23% cheaper for OEM parts (toyota filter 6.50, Denso filter $5.00)

So, why r we spending more for original instead of OEM parts?? any comment guys??

↡ Advertisement

Hi Guys, Just came bk from a sparepart shop n bought another 6 pcs of oil filter for my car.

All along, i always buy original toyota oil filer but today, I changed my mind and get someting cheaper- Denso oil filter.

Some of you may know that that Toyota oil filter is manufactured by Denso and i dont think that there is any different between denso filter vs toyota filter since it is manufactured by the same company. But the price is 23% cheaper for OEM parts (toyota filter 6.50, Denso filter $5.00)

So, why r we spending more for original instead of OEM parts?? any comment guys??

I will buy OEM.

I think most brands do not make their own spare parts, the OEMs are many a times makers for the brands. since denso make for toyota, why pay more when I think they are the same.

BTW, can PM me the shop, wonder if they have OEM for my Optra. [;)]

bro i think all we are paying for is the "name", there is actually no difference, your right.

you bought from Ric Tat?

Not all OEM parts are made to the same quality as original parts.

Check the quality and workmanship.

Cannot say for all vehicles.

In my opinion, I will stick to original parts.

• Praise 1

The only worry is the Denso oil filter original? Or was it fake, or rejected parts?

I think oil filter is critical in the first 5,000km oil change. Removing those fine metals bits.

you bought from Ric Tat?

1st round original filter from ric tat, but that was quite some time back, it was $6 last time if i remember correctly..

Today went to Yishun Inds park n buy the filter A since i knock off earlier and reach Yishun b4 6pm.

Not all OEM parts are made to the same quality as original parts.

Check the quality and workmanship.

Cannot say for all vehicles.

In my opinion, I will stick to original parts.

think u might be right. i will make a comparison and see whats the diff... but from my 1st look externally, it looks the same.

I took the risk cos Denso is part of toyota, n its a big brand by iteslef... dun think they will produce something inferior to their customer.

• Praise 1

The only worry is the Denso oil filter original? Or was it fake, or rejected parts?

I think oil filter is critical in the first 5,000km oil change. Removing those fine metals bits.

im not so worry about the immitation part cos chances is higher to get a immitation original part compare to OEM parts because they could earn more by simply printing the toyota logo instead of denso logo...

but you are not totally wrong... im not too sure about SG but there are many immitation parts in Malaysia, even cheap stuff like copper spark plug also got fake 1. there was once i seen cracked spark plug in the workshop and the mech told me that its most likely immitation plug,,,

I will buy OEM.

I think most brands do not make their own spare parts, the OEMs are many a times makers for the brands. since denso make for toyota, why pay more when I think they are the same.

BTW, can PM me the shop, wonder if they have OEM for my Optra. [;)]

dun need pm lah, you can find the shop at Yishun Inds park A, think there is only 1 or 2 sparepart shop there. replacement parts are rather cheap I would say, for example, denso copper spark plug is only selling at $10/set (4pcs).

think u might be right. i will make a comparison and see whats the diff... but from my 1st look externally, it looks the same.

I took the risk cos Denso is part of toyota, n its a big brand by iteslef... dun think they will produce something inferior to their customer.

Denso is a reputable and established brand. No worries if I am in your shoes.

I am referring to those so-called "OEM parts" that mechanics or workshops will try to sell to car owners saying that they are cheaper by a few cents or dollars cos they are manufactured in "certain countries". I have encountered a few and on the spot and check their quality (for example, air filter). Realized that original parts being made and manufactured in Japan (where my car was made and assembled) are better quality and last longer. This gives me a peace of mind when I am driving. Cars in Singapore are very expensive and cost tens of thousands of dollars and I won't allow some so-called parts to be put inside my car.

O.E.M. means Original Equipment Makers,anyway those who wants a good oil filter should go for K&N...very heavy duty.

k&N got oil filter, tot they only come out with air filter?? well, &N product should be quite reliable, it might be good but if too expensive, then forget it.... I will only get it if it is cheaper and the quality is same or better than origial... hmm... do i sound very cheapskate [laugh][laugh][laugh]

dun need pm lah, you can find the shop at Yishun Inds park A, think there is only 1 or 2 sparepart shop there. replacement parts are rather cheap I would say, for example, denso copper spark plug is only selling at $10/set (4pcs).

Usually I will go to the main stockist and buy.

Not that I am paranoid. At least I got the parts number, invoice and receipt.

Denso is a reputable and established brand. No worries if I am in your shoes.

I am referring to those so-called "OEM parts" that mechanics or workshops will try to sell to car owners saying that they are cheaper by a few cents or dollars cos they are manufactured in "certain countries". I have encountered a few and on the spot and check their quality (for example, air filter). Realized that original parts being made and manufactured in Japan (where my car was made and assembled) are better quality and last longer. This gives me a peace of mind when I am driving. Cars in Singapore are very expensive and cost tens of thousands of dollars and I won't allow some so-called parts to be put inside my car.

arghh...

bro, u r making me worry [:(][:(] .... the oil filter i bot is made in thailand... anyway, the toyota oil filter i bought last time is also from Thailand...

k&N got oil filter, tot they only come out with air filter?? well, &N product should be quite reliable, it might be good but if too expensive, then forget it.... I will only get it if it is cheaper and the quality is same or better than origial... hmm... do i sound very cheapskate [laugh][laugh][laugh]

K&N has oil filters and their website claimed to be much better than original parts.

No. You don't sound cheapskate in my opinion. Maybe I sound cheapskate, kiasu and kiasi. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement