All the best to parents of PSLE candidates

Jman888

47 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

There is a DSA category called Infocomm & Robotics offered by many schools which involves some coding but as far as I know, none for video creation or editing. Actually if he's top 3-5 in his sch and maintains his std in P6, he should be able to obtain a good AL score and enter his choice sch via the S1 posting which may be more flexible compared to DSA.

I don't really care about DSA but that appears to be my wife's obsession. I'm clueless to the pros and cons of each route, hence the question. I probably need to go to MOE website to find out more. That said, thanks for the infocomm info, appreciate it. If my son is able to do the DSA via infocomm, he probably can meet a lot of like-minded friends, which sounds great to me.

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement

10 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I don't really care about DSA but that appears to be my wife's obsession. I'm clueless to the pros and cons of each route, hence the question. I probably need to go to MOE website to find out more. That said, thanks for the infocomm info, appreciate it. If my son is able to do the DSA via infocomm, he probably can meet a lot of like-minded friends, which sounds great to me.

One of the big benefits of DSA is that once an offer to a choice sch is accepted like for my son's case, PSLE was so relaxing as he only needed to hit 200 T-score.

The cons can be divided into 2 groups - disappointments due to unsuccessful outcomes which is common, and accepting an offer from a 2nd choice sch and then realising during result day that one could qualify for the 1st choice sch based on result alone. This happened to some of my friends' kids.

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I think as what firefly is saying. It's more towards robotics and coding through it. My cousins son is really into it. But I not sure if he's attempting dsa via it. 

• Praise 1

21 hours ago, Weez911 said:

My son is very good at creating Youtube videos. Can he qualify for DSA/IP? 

Does father's HCI alumni help in the son's application for DSA/IP into HCI?

Paiseh for the noob question - my son is P6 next year. He is not GEP, but he is top 3-5 in his level. Top in English and Science in P2, P3, and P4. Prefect. Weak in chinese though but still manage to get into higher chinese. No CCA. His biggest hobby is spending time playing Roblox, watching TikTok and YT, and messaging on Discord. iPad is his best friend.

I think it is hard to DSA into academic. HCI is very competitive for DSA academic. I am not sure about DSA using talents as we did not go into that route. 

I am pretty sure alumni does not help. My name is on a small board for display in RI, one of my crowning achievements of my life

Edited by Wind30

36 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I think as what firefly is saying. It's more towards robotics and coding through it. My cousins son is really into it. But I not sure if he's attempting dsa via it. 

my daughter only like netflix... and idling... 

my wife thinks her attitude is terrible. I thought it is not too bad. 

Edited by Wind30

20 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

potential tai-tai candidate [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

21 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Interest can always arise later. Nothing wrong with idling.

My girl's English teacher flagged up to my wife that my girl tends to be daydreaming while doing assignments in class. My wife was going to speak to my girl about it. But i said no need. just say "noted" to the teacher. I know she knows what's going on during class. So just leave her be. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Interest can always arise later. Nothing wrong with idling.

My girl's English teacher flagged up to my wife that my girl tends to be daydreaming while doing assignments in class. My wife was going to speak to my girl about it. But i said no need. just say "noted" to the teacher. I know she knows what's going on during class. So just leave her be. 

my daughter gets her kindle confiscated by the teacher so many times... The stupid thing is she don't bother to apologize to teacher to get back the kindle and the teacher is left holding the kindle. No choice but to call us to complain...

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

potential tai-tai candidate [laugh]

she does study when FORCED... but she has zero interest in anything that can be DSAed

42 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

my daughter gets her kindle confiscated by the teacher so many times... The stupid thing is she don't bother to apologize to teacher to get back the kindle and the teacher is left holding the kindle. No choice but to call us to complain...

sounds like she likes to read. maybe humanities more for her.

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

she does study when FORCED... but she has zero interest in anything that can be DSAed

Dont worry too much now. If there is no interest then there is no interest, you cant really force an interest out of her. Let her be.

There is always a 2nd DSA intake at the end of sec 2 to play 大风吹,  so you might as well let her do PSLE as it is, can choose a sec sch from there. She might change when she move up to sec and decides if she wants/can go to some IP schools later. I know of a boy who DSA into SST, and then decided he didnt like it, and DSA to ASC (I) for IP at the end of sec 2. 

There is also this girl who DSA to NYG via sports. She did it because she wanted to go to NYG, now having issues with the sport, but cannot give up. 

My son had an offer to switch school when he was in sec 2, we didnt bother to. In sec 3 he did a  very strange subject combination and gave up a key subject in his school. He explained to me why and I accepted it. Even with the strange subject combo, 2 top IP schools have already approached us telling us they wanted him, but we told them he going to poly, so thank you very much... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

If you are good, ppl will come to you with offers to switch,  dont force something out of nothing.  At least she will feel happier to be a student...[laugh]

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

Then she should take the easier route and let her know that 265 will secure her a place. [laugh]

6 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Then she should take the easier route and let her know that 265 will secure her a place. [laugh]

>260 can go almost almost everywhere liao right. All the IP entry is between 250-260. 

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

Buy 2-3 spare kindles. Solve your problem 😀

13 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

>260 can go almost almost everywhere liao right. All the IP entry is between 250-260. 

I think not really. I thought one year some school cut off point is 265 or somewhere there 

PSLE is always iffy. what to do, she has no CCA worth mentioning. So Exams route here we come. On the bright side, I think it will teach her how to handle exam pressure. It will be nice to know how good my kid can score in PSLE. If she has DSA, I bet she wont score her best. 

She just got 37/40 for her english Prelim composition which is like amazing... I am pretty confident on her English and Maths. Science I believe I can fix in time for Prelims. Chinese we will pray hard to Guanyin... All that is left is execution.

I did not know you can change schools in secondary 3... so it is not that bad I guess. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

5 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Buy 2-3 spare kindles. Solve your problem 😀

This post reminded me to put a price alert on kindle PW. 

Our oldest kindle recently up lorry-ed. Now only left one for the kids. 

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I think not really. I thought one year some school cut off point is 265 or somewhere there 

PSLE is always iffy. what to do, she has no CCA worth mentioning. So Exams route here we come. On the bright side, I think it will teach her how to handle exam pressure.

She just got 37/40 for her english Prelim composition which is like amazing... I am pretty confident on her English and Maths. Science I believe I can fix in time for Prelims. Chinese we will pray hard to Guanyin... All that is left is execution.

I did not know you can change schools in secondary 3... so it is not that bad I guess. 

HCI or RJC can go up to 262 the 1-2 years i referenced. 

7 hours ago, Lala81 said:

HCI or RJC can go up to 262 the 1-2 years i referenced. 

Yup, 262 was the cutoff for RGS/RI for a few years. Didn't look at HCI. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement