All the best to parents of PSLE candidates

Jman888

3 hours ago, Mason016 said:

I would venture to say that the litmus test is when you remove the scaffolding around your kid and they can stand on their own and chart their own path forward. 

Lol your dg tertiary Liao mah. Haha mine far far away. 

↡ Advertisement

18 hours ago, firefly20 said:

Some would argue that starting from 5-9 is too late already ... oops 

I understand where you're coming from. I think one key concept parents should understand is acceptance - an acceptance that one's child may not be the top student, or be in the top class of the school. As long as he is performing to potential then it should be good enough. But I've friends who tell me if their kids are performing to potential, then they should be the top students and it becomes circular argument. 

Acceptance coupled with the knowledge that a successful career is better determined by other personal attributes such as AQ, EQ, leadership and motivational qualities would create a less stressful environment for the family.

Edit: Personally I struggled with this acceptance thingy when my kid was in primary school. It was only later in sec school that I realised how far he will go in life depends more on his motivational level and less on his grades (results are good but unfortunately he's quite laid back and refused tp fight for most opportunities that came his way). So it's something that as a parent I've to accept. So not saying it's something easily achievable.  

What's AQ? 

12 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Adversity Quotient.

Ah OK. Grit. 

Well this one is hard to say. It's hard to prep your kids for this. need to let your kids have some independence and experience failure in a good way. Maybe sports would be more suitable for this? 

9 hours ago, Alg said:

about 60% of my son classmates in HCI is from PRC. This is how competitive they are.

WAH!!! I kind of expected it but 60% is very high. I suspect Raffles should be less since more ang mo pai.

So I think maybe the competition is tougher now in PSLE. Last time it is can get 27x but nowadays with all the additional PRC competition it is probably much harder as T score is by std deviation. 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, Wind30 said:

I read this with pretty mixed feelings.

The parent obviously wanted her kid to do well in exams but chose to say her kid is average... She did not do anything until P5 when her kid did badly for science.

Is intelligence inherited or trained? I think the answer to this is pretty obvious after years of research and it is a bit of both. Personally, I am more inclined to the "trained" camp.

Is a kid naturally born good in maths? No, it is the hours spend on tackling difficult questions when young that build up your aptitude in maths. It is not TEACHING the answer to the kid but let her solve it on her own however long it takes at home. The kid could love maths and enjoy the challenge like I did when young, or grow to detest math like my daughter, but either way, the kid will be good in maths. Although if she has a passion in it, she will be great in maths. Unfortunately, passion is much harder to teach.

I used to think I was born intelligent as my parents don't know a word of English and neither had more than secondary education, never had a day of tuition in my life. But when I reflect closer, I noticed my family is not that bad... my father always put university entry as the big goal when young... I still  remember he would say "qiao kai da xue de men" He would give maths lessons to my brother sister and me. Me being the youngest started much earlier and did slightly easier problems but I would always try to do my elder siblings problems.

My uncle who was living with me would play chinese chess with me everyday until I can beat him. Now I am too lazy to play chess with my 6 year old and it is freaking boring. It also tells me how much my uncle loved me. When I entered RI in sec 1, I could beat the future chinese chess captain without a single day in a chess club in primary school.

To me, if you tried to train the mind when he is 5-9 years old and still cannot make it, then I guess  maybe that is the genetic limit. But if you choose to let your kid run free from 5-9 years old, it is a choice to be average. and the choice is made by you the parent. 

The fact is most other 5-9 year old are "training"....

There are many types of intelligences and almost always we are talking about those intelligences that translate into academic ability such as logical-mathematical

Others such as verbal-linguistic, musical-rhythmic, etc are hard to measure  in our curriculum

An average academic kid may have superior intelligences in other domains

We are slowly moving into promoting different pathways of "success" for our students and this is a good thing

Moving away from a T score label at a young age is a good step in the right direction

• Praise 4

6 hours ago, Wind30 said:

WAH!!! I kind of expected it but 60% is very high. I suspect Raffles should be less since more ang mo pai.

So I think maybe the competition is tougher now in PSLE. Last time it is can get 27x but nowadays with all the additional PRC competition it is probably much harder as T score is by std deviation. 

I m not surprised that our future leaders will be imported Prc

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/psle-bell-curve-primary-school-students-secondary-moe-seab-13716946

I don't understand what MOE is talking about.... I thought PSLE Tscore is always fitted into a bell curve. 

I think MOE fail maths. I mean if every year exactly for the last five year, 66% of the students qualify for express stream kind of tell you how the tscore is calculated...

Edited by Wind30

22 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Hope the kids got what they wanted!! 

Some will hope to get a new iPhone 12 and unlimited WiFi 

Most will just hope for a big hug from the parents and say: "it's OK, we love you nonetheless. "... 

...plus a new iPhone 12 and unlimited WiFi 😁

• Haha! 2

Twincharged

Supercharged

Looks like there'll be lots of computerized balloting. Good luck to those who have kids going into Sec 1.

Make it simpler, should remove affiliation category, less complication and be true to meritocracy. Privileged background, more resource, still need lower cutoff to protect. If like that still get same score as the kampong kid, the kampong kid deserve the place, still ballot some more. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1