All the best to parents of PSLE candidates

Jman888

Better not do give your kid additional stress.

A lot of times, parents more stressed and get insomnia

Modern Day Parenting Syndrome  [laugh]

wah jin stress... my son also taking...

i will clear some leave to see if i can be of any (last-minute) help.... but he not stressed... which makes me even more worried....

• Praise 9

Better not do give your kid additional stress.

A lot of times, parents more stressed and get insomnia

Modern Day Parenting Syndrome  [laugh]

Yup, it's true that it's not good to overstress the kids, esp. for this strawberry generation.

Last time, if don't do well for spelling, test, exam, go home can kanna caning. The mother will scold and say earn $$ not easy, pay to go school still dun study hard and get good grades... and the kids would wake up and buck up...

Now if do the same thing, wah lao, young kids also can commit suicide...  [sweatdrop]

So better dun stress them. But the problem is that the new generation if so strawberry-like, how to expect them to grind out a life on their own in the face of adversity?

Being a modern day parent is really stressful even just by thinking about this  [laugh]

Yup, it's true that it's not good to overstress the kids, esp. for this strawberry generation.

Last time, if don't do well for spelling, test, exam, go home can kanna caning. The mother will scold and say earn $$ not easy, pay to go school still dun study hard and get good grades... and the kids would wake up and buck up...

Now if do the same thing, wah lao, young kids also can commit suicide... [sweatdrop]

So better dun stress them. But the problem is that the new generation if so strawberry-like, how to expect them to grind out a life on their own in the face of adversity?

Being a modern day parent is really stressful even just by thinking about this [laugh]

its how we raise them......grow strawberries will get strawberries grow durian will get durian! The old tried and tested method is always the best not the current coddling and moddling method!

its how we raise them......grow strawberries will get strawberries grow durian will get durian! The old tried and tested method is always the best not the current coddling and moddling method!

I also thought so, but it seems like with the current gen, there are lots of external influence and our old methods might not always work... My neighbour last time told me that his kids even tell him cannot anyhow go into their rooms and to respect their privacy, and talk about human rights lah... 

dunno to laugh or cry...

• Praise 1

I also thought so, but it seems like with the current gen, there are lots of external influence and our old methods might not always work... My neighbour last time told me that his kids even tell him cannot anyhow go into their rooms and to respect their privacy, and talk about human rights lah...

dunno to laugh or cry...

this wan very tricky! I always tells my daughter that she needs to open her daughter unless she is studying and needs the privacy if not it must remains opened. If she quarrelled with her mum then its okay i wont bother to tell her as she will need the space to cool down. Once she reached 18 we have to respect their privacy liao......need to knock first before entering. The old traditional ways wont work 100%.....so need to sprinkle the old ways with the new! Thats where we need to compromise.

Now if do the same thing, wah lao, young kids also can commit suicide...  [sweatdrop]

Being a modern day parent is really stressful even just by thinking about this  [laugh]

last time it is quite common to hear this from parents 生一片叉烧好过生你,叉烧还可以吃,  or a variation of it. if you tell this to your young kids now, now sure what will be their reaction.

last time it is quite common to hear this from parents 生一片叉烧好过生你,叉烧还可以吃,  or a variation of it. if you tell this to your young kids now, now sure what will be their reaction.

the kids today will talk back and say 我宁愿你生块叉烧好过生我 !

this wan very tricky! I always tells my daughter that she needs to open her daughter unless she is studying and needs the privacy if not it must remains opened. If she quarrelled with her mum then its okay i wont bother to tell her as she will need the space to cool down. Once she reached 18 we have to respect their privacy liao......need to knock first before entering. The old traditional ways wont work 100%.....so need to sprinkle the old ways with the new! Thats where we need to compromise.

I can definitely respect privacy. In fact, the recent few years had seen my girl grow up markedly, you know, from the little girl who was still crying in school, to now is ~1.72 m tall. Can still remember the times when i would bathe her when she was much younger, but now I also let my wife tend to her when she sometimes complains stomachache and needs to apply ointment to the tummy...

Also never open the door when she's closed it, as she could be changing - but many a times, she actually closed the door and instead of changing, she's actually hiding inside the room playing on her phone  [mad]

jialat lah... when we say cannot bring phone into room, she says we dun trust her...  [sweatdrop]

now v often they show their temper, walk to room and slam the door, ok...  [sweatdrop]

happened at home before, and immediately i made it clear that it will never be tolerated ever again!

I can definitely respect privacy. In fact, the recent few years had seen my girl grow up markedly, you know, from the little girl who was still crying in school, to now is ~1.72 m tall. Can still remember the times when i would bathe her when she was much younger, but now I also let my wife tend to her when she sometimes complains stomachache and needs to apply ointment to the tummy...

Also never open the door when she's closed it, as she could be changing - but many a times, she actually closed the door and instead of changing, she's actually hiding inside the room playing on her phone [mad]

jialat lah... when we say cannot bring phone into room, she says we dun trust her... [sweatdrop]

How old is your daughter? Mine is 12 and very different from my boy. The boy is much more easier but the girl is very temperamental. At 10 i started to joke with her differently, no more cuddly cuddly but more on verbal banter and started to be a bit fierce. At primary 4 i told her to let me carry and kiss her cheek for the last time as i did the same with her brother. She asked me why the last time......told her that she will get her answer in a few yrs time.....
  • Praise 1

now v often they show their temper, walk to room and slam the door, ok... [sweatdrop]

happened at home before, and immediately i made it clear that it will never be tolerated ever again!

Same same.....but she only dares to do it with her mum but i will always put my foot down in such instances eventhough i am not involved. I wont give an inch if it comes to slamming doors to proof a point! Its a big no....no in my family!

now v often they show their temper, walk to room and slam the door, ok...  [sweatdrop]

Ya!  Mine also!  She answers  back when we scold her.  Talk to us like we owe her $ like that.  I really dun know how to discipline her.  Never use hp like will die like that.  Keep liking her friends posts in snap chat and instragram.  I really dun understand.

My friend's son beat her back when she hit him.  End up both fighting.  

My neighbour took her daughter's hp from her and she hit my neighbour, same both of them hitting each other.

Ya! Mine also! She answers back when we scold her. Talk to us like we owe her $ like that. I really dun know how to discipline her. Never use hp like will die like that. Keep liking her friends posts in snap chat and instragram. I really dun understand.

My friend's son beat her back when she hit him. End up both fighting.

My neighbour took her daughter's hp from her and she hit my neighbour, same both of them hitting each other.

Eh.....its maciam we are all in the same boat with this hp thingy.. Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 2

My P6 son do not have a mobile phone and his teachers applause him for that-apparently his class went through an investigation due to spreading some malicious news about a certain teacher via their class group Whatssap.

Parents have to set good example and spend times with kids, if you think all kids are like that due to society, peers influence, and this give you self assurance that it's normal, then you can continue and rant and rant which doesn't improve the situation. Your own flesh and blood, we got to go into action 24/7. Hehe.

• Praise 2

parents please dun give up, spend some time listen and talk to them, even if they dun like to talk.  

try a few words of concern and do something for them. It takes time to see result, let them feel it first.

kids at 11-17 are quite unstable (some start at P3), they look out to peer and not from the parents, if they can find someone as mentor (like teacher, senior, family friends or relative who they can spend more time with) it will help. I was told by a parent that when her girl was P5 becoming very rebellion, after joining a holiday workshop she got motivated and 180 deg changed before PSLE. Set a good example for the younger siblings.

• Praise 4

i think we all get rebellious at that stage lah. So i think just have to give and take.

Just set down a few Core/unbreakable type of rules (no drugs/no drinking/no smoking etc etc) then let them to discover their own path bah.

Handphone i will probably restrict use at home to certain hours only  [laugh]

given my girls stubbornness, i worried i next time will get heart attack haha

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1