Why directasia car insurance so cheap?

Agentwilson

My advice is not to buy insurance plan online, e..g., Direct Asia.

I have a very bad experience recently with them. I got mine policy last year and I did not name my son as a named driver as that time he has not got his driving licence. When he got his driving on Jun 2015, I forgot to add him and that comes the nightmare when a taxi hit my car when it was driven by my son on the National day.

Direct Asia straight away wrote me to repudiate the policy and not even cover the 3rd party (reason stated by them is that my son is young, below 30 yr, and inexperience). That means, the insurance policy i bought is equivalent to never bought even though I bought the comprehensive plan. The taxi is claiming for about $20,000 for medical, lost of income, lawyer fee, etc., excluding vehicle damage of another $12,000.

My own damage was $6,500 and I did not claim Direct Asia as my son is unnamed.

I'm now seeking advice for the following: 1. Can Direct Asia really repudiate the policy for 3rd party claim? It is by law that all vehicles on the road are covered at least 3rd party. 2. The claim from the taxi driver is really ridiculous as no one was injured that day.

Lesson learnt: know what you are buying. There is a Chinese saying, anything that is cheap must be a reason...

that's a tad unfair. You forgot to inform insurer about adding your son into the policy, then now you kpkb ? It has nothing to do with DA or any online insurer for the matter ............. Even if you bought it from a physical broker, any insurance company will/can void your policy if there is a breach.

Let me post a question to you

Let's day you are a successful banker and insured your life for $5 million. Then you suddenly had career change and went Thailand be professional Muay Thai fighter WITHOUT informing ALL your insurers about your new career . Unfortunately, you are seriously injured in a fight and suffered total paralysis. Now, the insurers DO have a right to terminate your policies as the onus is always on policyholder to inform about MATERIAL changes. So you say, fair or not ?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

It is the responsibility of owner of the car to ensure that the insurance policy that he or she took covers whoever drives the car.

• Praise 3

Seems like insurance companies are able to cancel your policy on the spot when you have an accident. I haven't heard of anyone who has challenged this in court. Probably because those who can afford it don't save on insurance. This is not the first time I heard of direct asia cancelling the policy and refusing to pay out on claims.

Hope you have gotten a policy with a more useful company. Don't get suckered by direct asia's lame ads with those people claiming to have saved hundreds and how they put the money to other uses. Joke's on them when shit happens.

well, nothing to challenge mah. Buy policy to cover only himself then let son drive. I doubt any other insurance companies are so generous to offer payouts when there is a clear breach.

DA is not always cheap. It can however be cheaper for certain category of drivers.

It is the responsibility of owner of the car to ensure that the insurance policy that he or she took covers whoever drives the car.

precisely !!!!

• Praise 3

actually i find ntuc not bad.

years back i had an accident, they sent in their 'orange force' on a trike bike to render assistance.

all the paperwork was done by the guy, he even helped draw the situation map and wrote account for me.

Becos of competition. Even AIG also buck up liao.

• Praise 1

Go buy the most expensive vehicle insurance in the market at given coverage and conditions. Then you conveniently forget and let a unnamed driver, i.e. your young son who just obtained his license drive and got into an accident, See if the Atas-atas insurance company will entertain your claims.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Go buy the most expensive vehicle insurance in the market at given coverage and conditions. Then you conveniently forget and let a unnamed driver, i.e. your young son who just obtained his license drive and got into an accident, See if the Atas-atas insurance company will entertain your claims.

Don't understand.. U don't pay for it yet expect them to provide coverage?

Don't understand.. U don't pay for it yet expect them to provide coverage?

I think that's what he is trying to get at. No matter what insurance company you use, if you're not going to declare all the drivers and pay the extra charges, don't expect the insurance company to cover you when those unknown drivers get into an accident.

Of course there are policies that cover all unnamed drivers below a certain age, but the cost has probably been factored into your premium.

• Praise 2

I think that's what he is trying to get at. No matter what insurance company you use, if you're not going to declare all the drivers and pay the extra charges, don't expect the insurance company to cover you when those unknown drivers get into an accident.

Of course there are policies that cover all unnamed drivers below a certain age, but the cost has probably been factored into your premium.

Hi bro, your Singlish and Queen English got very high standard!

[scholar][thumbsup]

I used the premium insurance company for many years, and by God's Grace, did not involve in any claims. So every year just paid good money to them whenever the agent sent me renewal notice/quote.

Early this year, after looking at the title of this thread, I decided to seek a second quote.

Afetr filling up the details, eg use car to commute to work, travel more than 8k km per year, car modifications, NCD, Merit Cert etc, the price from DA was some 30% cheaper than the quote I received from AxG. The agent said they could not come close, so I bought it from DA.

Then I bought another car and in transition, bought another insurance at almost full premium from DA. When I got rid of my 1st car, I emailed to DA to ask for transfer of NCD, refunds for "unutilized premium" and rebate of NCD for the 2nd car.

DA replied the next day stated the rebate amounts I would receive for the 2 cars and that the monies would be credited back to my credit card within 2 weeks. And they did.

That was the only "claim" I had in years and I must say I am happy with the way and speed DA handled it.

Would other premium insurance companies do it any better? I, for one would never know.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone, got a question to ask.

I have a directasia insurance plan with my current car, and I have accumulated 50% NCD on it. I just purchased a second car. I am not selling my first car as I will be passing it to my parents to drive (until COE expires in August 2016).

Since I am not transferring my current insurance plan to the new car, I signed up another insurance plan with the AD, which is an MSIG plan. However, I have been told that I cannot transfer my NCD over, since I am not terminating my earlier insurance package. So basically I have to start afresh with 0% NCD.

Is this correct? Is there any way to have my NCD taken into account by MSIG? Very reluctant to have to start accumulating NCD again. Thanks for your help!

yes of cos. if u never terminate the previous insurance then how to use both cars at 50% off? insurance companies will lugi

I used the premium insurance company for many years, and by God's Grace, did not involve in any claims. So every year just paid good money to them whenever the agent sent me renewal notice/quote.

Early this year, after looking at the title of this thread, I decided to seek a second quote.

Afetr filling up the details, eg use car to commute to work, travel more than 8k km per year, car modifications, NCD, Merit Cert etc, the price from DA was some 30% cheaper than the quote I received from AxG. The agent said they could not come close, so I bought it from DA.

Then I bought another car and in transition, bought another insurance at almost full premium from DA. When I got rid of my 1st car, I emailed to DA to ask for transfer of NCD, refunds for "unutilized premium" and rebate of NCD for the 2nd car.

DA replied the next day stated the rebate amounts I would receive for the 2 cars and that the monies would be credited back to my credit card within 2 weeks. And they did.

That was the only "claim" I had in years and I must say I am happy with the way and speed DA handled it.

Would other premium insurance companies do it any better? I, for one would never know.

isnt rebate a standard practice? for sure they have to refund u for any unused amounts.

Turbocharged

I have a directasia insurance plan with my current car, and I have accumulated 50% NCD on it. I just purchased a second car. I am not selling my first car as I will be passing it to my parents to drive (until COE expires in August 2016).

Since I am not transferring my current insurance plan to the new car, I signed up another insurance plan with the AD, which is an MSIG plan. However, I have been told that I cannot transfer my NCD over, since I am not terminating my earlier insurance package. So basically I have to start afresh with 0% NCD.

Is this correct? Is there any way to have my NCD taken into account by MSIG? Very reluctant to have to start accumulating NCD again. Thanks for your help!

I don't understand this question or the rationale.

Either you have had a claim in the last 5 years or you haven't? Why should the NCD be tied to selling the old car?

You mean to say that if I own five different cars, I have to accumulate NCD on each of them individually? Even if I haven't had an accident in the last 15 years? That's not very logical.

I'd just argue the point with MSIG

yes NCD starts from zero for 2nd vehicle owned concurrently.

You mean to say that if I own five different cars, I have to accumulate NCD on each of them individually? Even if I haven't had an accident in the last 15 years? That's not very logical.

That is exactly how it works....

I don't understand this question or the rationale.

Either you have had a claim in the last 5 years or you haven't? Why should the NCD be tied to selling the old car?

I'd just argue the point with MSIG

This is standard practice. I've had two cars for years, and even with 50% on the first you start with scratch on the second.

I'm not sure how things go if you make a claim on one. Would be the height of injustice if they all went together.

• Praise 1