Cellphone shopping turns ugly at Lucky Plaza

Timex1441

A NIGHT out to buy a cellphone at Lucky Plaza turned ugly for a Chinese national yesterday.

The kindergarten teacher, who wanted to be known only as Ms Mei, said that the staff of DAB Electronics at the basement of the shopping centre had quoted her $900 for an iPhone 4 without a contract.

However, a staff member rang up an amount of $1,900.

When she asked what the extra $1,000 was for, the man said that $350 was for a repair service, and quoted fees for unlocking her SIM card and cutting her SIM card, a service he said was required in order to use the popular mobile phone.

When she did not agree to the deal, she said the man refused to return the ATM card she had handed him for payment.

Afraid, she called two friends to help her. But the staff did not allow them to leave the building. One of her friends then called the police.

Shop employees denied holding onto the woman's card, and turned aggressive towards a photographer who was there, while the police were present.

Police said they have advised both parties to settle the matter amicably, and they have complied.

↡ Advertisement

Lucky Plaza has always had a bad reputation....but this case seems like they've become real gangsters....refusing to return ATM card, illegal confinement of customers, aggression towards photographer...

:angry:

tougher for them to differentiate between foreigners and locals (citizens and PRs)

last time, can always get away easily because seldom pple come back to complain after leaving the country.

now, 5 out of 10 u meet on the road is with a different accent.

i think next time must ask to produce identify before conning liao. Haha

Personally prefer to buy phones from big shops like Singtel, Starhub, M1, Courts, Harvey Norman, etc, even for without plan. You get fresh stock of unopened boxes. Whereas, these small shops, the handsets have all been taken out most of the time. The price isn't going to be cheaper anyway in these small shops.

Turbocharged
When she asked what the extra $1,000 was for, the man said that $350 was for a repair service, and quoted fees for unlocking her SIM card and cutting her SIM card, a service he said was required in order to use the popular mobile phone.

Isn't this suppose to be illegal??? Now the telco should sue this shop......

Turbocharged

whatever lah.

as long as con china man. i don't really give a damm

damn you..china man is also human....

A lot of our ancestors are also china man. Give some respect la...

In cases like this..I don't care he con what skin colour. What make you think that if he con enough china man, he won't con singaporeans?

Always so discriminating to other humans....you had just brought racial harmony which we tried so hard to build up back to the pre-independent days.

the woman damn stupid leh

is this the kind teaching our future generations?

the apple shop sells Iphone 4 DELIVERED to your house for 888

can save $12 drink kopi somemore no need to stress

Lucky and simlim will forever be the same.

But I am farking angry when I read such news.

How come the authorities always seems to appear and help foreigners in such disputes?

Knn if it was a singaporen...the advice would be "you walk in with eyes wide open hor, you die your pua-sah hor"

Turbocharged

I hope the shop get closed down just like the Newton seafood hawker stall.

Hate people who doesn't earn their money honestly and go around conning others.

Of all the places why have to buy cell phone at Luck Plaza? [rolleyes]

That place is a slaughter house for dumb and stupid fools

yalor.... [shakehead]

I hope the shop get closed down just like the Newton seafood hawker stall.

Hate people who doesn't earn their money honestly and go around conning others.

thats the problem with our spf's protocol which is always "u guys settle privately and dont bother us".... the shop should be given a wraning letter.. that will really make those slaughter house think twice.... who doesnt know places like these and those in sls are slaughter house for tourist and isnt that a -ve image given to tourist?... [rifle]

and pls dont even bother to tell me "blablabla case should look into it...".... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

An foreign friend of mine was also ripped off at DAB in Lucky Plaza last year. He had bought and iPhone 3G from them earlier on for about $1,200. The next day he returned to ask them to load some applications for him. When he returned to collect the phone he was charged $1,600 for the apps! The loaded hundreds of games into this phone and countless other which did not need or ask for. They charged him about $50 per app, saying they had to buy from Apple Store etc etc.

Knowing that such business practices exist in SIngapore really makes me sick in the stomach! And worse still to know that the authorities are doing nothing and letting these thugs continue to rip off innocent people. Little wonder if the flood waters that hit Lucky Plaza earlier on in the year could not flush them out. I avoid shopping there at all cost. And when foreign friends come to visit and ask me about Lucky Plaza, I tell that the most interesting shop there is the one that sells Sex Toys ! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement