Help!!!my laptop is duper slow

Keithchue

guys,

my laptop recently lags alot, the problems is as described.

opening applications is taking close to 2 mins, once opened, running is fine. booting up is also not a problem.

my laptop is 8 yrs old, running on XP, and about 1 week ago it is fine, i did not install any extra apps. and i also cannot system restore to a earlier time.

↡ Advertisement

Go task manager, check your processor and memory usage. High usage, then probably virus/trojan infection. Average cpu utilisation at idle should be less than 5%. A small spike when you launch any apps b4 dipping.

For a 8 year old laptop, if you've not changed the harddisk, then the harddisk could be failing. Is the harddisk led being lighted up for a long time (instead of the usual blinking) when u encountered the slowness? If so, better backup your data asap. It could be failing.

for Win XP, it is possible to slash no. of processes to about 26~30. i noted that most computers run anything from about 50 to nearly 70, my friends' and company workstations that is.

8 yr old laptop? time to change loh.

in any case, think of anything you have installed recently. Virus, malware, spyware will make it slow. Suspicious websites visited or emails? Anti virus installed?

time to format. 8 years is a really good run for a windows laptop. even 8 months, i'd notice a significant slowdown.

When i was still using windows, 6-8 months is a good time to format to clean out everything. the longest is 1 year. but truth be told, system slowdown is noticeable from the 4th month or so.. and that's with me using antivirus and not getting infected.

like what another person suggested, get a new laptop. u wanna upgrade also hard cos parts from that era are different. Tried to upgrade my wife's HP laptop but the cost of the RAM was much more due to the different era of RAM, so i shelved the idea. your HDD likely to be IDE, while nowadays it's SATA HDD. different connectors.

Just do a Defragment on your hard drive. From time to time it's recommended to do so. It beats formatting the hard drive which is more dedious. 8 years is a long time. Already made your money's worth.

guys,

opening applications is taking close to 2 mins, once opened, running is fine. booting up is also not a problem.

my laptop is 8 yrs old, running on XP, and about 1 week ago it is fine, i did not install any extra apps. and i also cannot system restore to a earlier time.

Can check for improvement after de-fragmenting it?

guys, thank you for the information,

i have upgraded my ram from ancient 512 to 1.5 (added another 1gb) about 3 yrs ago. i think it may due to trojan/malware, but my anti virus comes out nothing.

i have also de-frag...a couple of times and nothing seem to improve. i have a active paid antivirus running and the it tells me that 100% of my system resources is running most of the time.

Turbocharged

sometimes anti virus does not help. run both spy-bot and ad aware. it solved a rather similar problem for me last time.

guys,

Try run combofix.

guys, thank you for the information,

i have upgraded my ram from ancient 512 to 1.5 (added another 1gb) about 3 yrs ago. i think it may due to trojan/malware, but my anti virus comes out nothing.

i have also de-frag...a couple of times and nothing seem to improve. i have a active paid antivirus running and the it tells me that 100% of my system resources is running most of the time.

Try to reformat your system..

Neutral Newbie

guys,

fyi, anti-virus may slow down your PC too. real time scanning.. 1.5gb not good enough for XP. i find 3gb also slow.. Hdd run out space may slow down too.

guys,

have you been watching too much naughty stuff

↡ Advertisement