HOW TO CHECK car accident before

Rastaman01

if without evaluation, how check

jack up the car and check alignment.... my mech managed to find out 1 car got small accident when i sent it for check... owner was with me and he admitted to it.....

Twincharged

Bring a paint thickness gauge. Test all the panels. If got any panel with paint that is thicker than the rest of the car means that that panel got resprayed before which means most probably got accident. Then u can just check around that area for any other signs to confirm. If the thickness of the paint on the whole car is around the same thickness then it means the car probably had not been in an accident that required respray.

Edited by Nzy

jack up the car and check alignment.... my mech managed to find out 1 car got small accident when i sent it for check... owner was with me and he admitted to it.....

Agree, provided you have your own mechanic to consult with. [thumbsup]

if without evaluation, how check

This is my layman approach when I accompained my friend to shop for used cars.

1st of all, it all depends how do we define "accident". IMHO, the major concern are areas that aren't visible. For example, the engine bay and the under chassis.

This needs experienced eyes. If you look at the engine bay of a new car, there will be factory printed coloured markings on major joints and connection. When these parts were changed or swapped, usually the coloured markings will be vanished as well. Some bolts, nuts or screws may not be original ones too. Do some research about the car model if there it is still on sales with the AD, take a close look at the showroom.

Again, for people who like to mod, they may also replace parts that aren't original or stock. This doesn't mean it has got accident before. Common things like exhaust, manifold, catalytic converters, air-intake, Port/polish are easily done with by a modders.

There is no way to tell whether the piston is in good shape, unless you opened up the engine. Test drive the car is important. Even for auto car, you must try to shift gear and check whether the car is responsive to manual gear shift/change. Steer through corner and feel the steering wheel steadiness and listen to any "knocking sound" especially from behind. Got sound, may be suspension got problem.

Got service record will be the best or you can always make a call to the AD about its service history if they bother to entertain you.

For wear and tear, check whether got liquid leakage underneath the car when parked. Try a hard braking and see whether ABS kicked-in, if not at least ensure the car don't wobble when braked. Accident car tend to have problem to brake nicely due to chassis misalignment and cornering. Check the effectiveness of handbrake too.

Look at the C and H. Engine that overheat or easily surpass 3/4 mark should be avoided at all cost! One traffic jam can just kill the car. Test all car functions, signals, lamps, horn, alarm, wipers, radio, air-con, electric chairs and etc. Avoid cars with messy internal wirings that run everywhere underneath the carpet.

"Smell" the car. When at high rev, make sure you don't get "burnt" smell in the car cabin.

Do a detail research about the car model that you're interested in. So even if there is problem, you know where and how to rectify it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

That's good advice. I would also recommend calling the agent and check not only if accident before but also did they miss any servicing. Secondly, test drive the car carefully especially when change gears and stopping. If the gear change is not smooth, it could be a lemon. Good luck.

There is no way to tell whether the piston is in good shape, unless you opened up the engine.

there is a way....,

1) pull out the engine dipstick and smell at the lowest point to the highest...

if engine internal is good than you will not have petrol smell..

if got serious wear you will xperaince strong petrol smell...= piston / piston ring need replacement

2) take out 1 spark plug to see whether wet or dry ...

wet with oil = head gasket need replacment

dry = healty.

2cents

Edited by Lamemonster

There is no way to tell whether the piston is in good shape, unless you opened up the engine.

there is a way....,

1) pull out the engine dipstick and smell at the lowest point to the highest...

if engine internal is good than you will not have petrol smell..

if got serious wear you will xperaince strong petrol smell...= piston / piston ring need replacement

2) take out 1 spark plug to see whether wet or dry ...

wet with oil = head gasket need replacment

dry = healty.

2cents

Good to know that. Thank you.

Regards,

Bring along a trusted car mechanic with u to check the car or buy used car from a trusted friend. If not, then buy brand new car.

Any website to check for past historical accident records filed with insurers or TP ?

Hmm...not sure if Singapore has this service. When I watched auto trader on discovery turbo. There is a company in UK that sells this report to customers when they are checking on 2nd hand cars. Car accidents and traffic violation involving this car will be provided if reported. How the system works...I am not sure.

One way to know whether the car has been met with accident is to look for color tone of the car. If there is 2 different tone, highly the car was met with accident. Another thing to take note is to look out for any rubber seals at engine bay with respect to car age. A car age of 3 years should have rubber seals which should be hardened and not look like brand new. Those look like brand new with possible of just change recently and thus for what ever reason, that need to take extra precautions. Next is to look out for any welding at car chasis ( below or even at engine bay ). If there is, high chance it has met with major accident.

Hope this helps.

Neutral Newbie

I learnt a very good tip from Wheeler Dealers, try opening the boot and check all the spots where people will not usually check, for e.g. at the corners, if have broken glass means it might have been in an accident before.

Haha. going to help my friend see 2nd hand car tmr. Very gd write up by the mcf bros here.

Another way which my wk shop mech teach me is to look for uneven surface of metal.( engine bay, boot, fender etc) usually cause by panel beating and pulling of car body. Need a very sharp eye to indentify those beating mark. My mech can easily spot those repair marks. I'm still trying to learn. not as pro yet =/