Punishment too light?

Vid

Cutting through double white line and causing the death of a love one of some people, this is a v light sentence.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_592119.html

Oct 18, 2010

P-driver fined for fatal accident

By Elena Chong

A PROBATIONARY driver who caused the death of a taxi passenger by a negligent act was fined a total of $9,000 on Monday on two charges.

District Judge Low Wee Ping also banned Gabriel Lim Yong Han, 21, from driving for 12 months.

Lim, who pleaded guilty, was driving his father's lorry which had encroached into the path of a taxi when he unlawfully drove across two double white lines from a slip road of Bishan Street 11 into Braddell Road on Dec 27, 2008.

The collision resulted in the death of rear seat passenger Tan Sheng Ping, 28, an accountant.

He also admitted causing hurt to cabby Teo Cheng Liang, 41, by doing an act so negligently as to endanger life at 1.53am that day.

The court heard that Ms Tan, who was not buckled up, suffered serious head injuries and was taken to hospital where she died abut 2 1/2 hours later.

Defence lawyer Derek Kang said his client was a young and inexperienced driver at the time, having obtained his driving licence in April that year.

Lim could have been jailed for up to two years and/or fined for causing death by doing a a negligent act. The other offence is punishable with up to six months and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

↡ Advertisement

Lim, who pleaded guilty, was driving his father's lorry which had encroached into the path of a taxi when he unlawfully drove across two double white lines from a slip road of Bishan Street 11 into Braddell Road on Dec 27, 2008.

this is a common mistake that even experience driver will make, you see this everyday on the road, so i guess driver must also keep a look out when approaching and anticipate for vehicle that do that.

A life is gone and the culprit jus get away with a 9K fine & 12 months revoke of driving licence ... [shakehead][shakehead]

doesn't it just make you feel like maybe i also should go knock somebody down?

9k i got, 1 yr revoke i don't mind but i can boast that i killed somebody before!

doesn't it just make you feel like maybe i also should go knock somebody down?

9k i got, 1 yr revoke i don't mind but i can boast that i killed somebody before!

Tsk... tsk... tsk... that's not nice. Wanna knock down your enemy at work? [:p]

the judge probably considered his age. If he was sent to jail, then his future would be gone. But then again, the accountant has no future to talk abt anymore

Very light sentence considering a life was lost. Only a fine and ban driving for 1 year?? Pardon me for thinking that some "hitman" or "assassin" will get a bright idea of staging a road accident to kill their victims. Use knife or other weapons = possibly get hanged for murder. Use vehicle to bang = pay fine + license suspended??? :o

On the other hand, it may also be that some responsibility was shifted to the accident victim, sad as it may be, because she wasn't belted up in the taxi.

Too light liao punishment... but im sure the deceased's family will sue him for causing death to their daughter... Get compensation calculated wif the number of working years wif salary...

Neutral Newbie

seat belts DO make a difference.

no seatbelts should have been a mitigating factor,

people do this illegal lane crossing day in day out, only this guy never check blindspot and rearview mirror.

BUT.

what's the taxi driver doing? Don't know how to brake? press horn more important than braking?

A life is gone and the culprit jus get away with a 9K fine & 12 months revoke of driving licence ... [shakehead][shakehead]

So sorry, no mention of revoke of driving licence, just 12 months ban. Can drive again thereafter

would the outcome be the same if the accountant is buckled up? Prob the judge also take this into account?

If the lorry crashed into the taxi. The seat belt can not protect the lady's head against the lorry. She still die from the head injury. She was a passenger, not the taxi driver. I wonder if P-licence should be allowed to drive any commercial vehicle at all (more driving skill required)

↡ Advertisement