Punishment too light?

Vid

seat belts DO make a difference.

no seatbelts should have been a mitigating factor,

people do this illegal lane crossing day in day out, only this guy never check blindspot and rearview mirror.

BUT.

what's the taxi driver doing? Don't know how to brake? press horn more important than braking?

If you are kidding with us, this is not ticklish.

I believe there was nothing much if any, the taxi driver could do to avoid being hit by the lorry crossing double white lines. Do you believe horn lorry crossing double white lines effective/correct action?

Edited by Good-Carbuyer
↡ Advertisement

If the lorry crashed into the taxi. The seat belt can not protect the lady's head against the lorry. She still die from the head injury. She was a passenger, not the taxi driver. I wonder if P-licence should be allowed to drive any commercial vehicle at all (more driving skill required)

And that at almost 2am in the morning. What in the world is that young man thinking of?!

If the lorry crashed into the taxi. The seat belt can not protect the lady's head against the lorry. She still die from the head injury. She was a passenger, not the taxi driver. I wonder if P-licence should be allowed to drive any commercial vehicle at all (more driving skill required)

head injury may not mean the lorry bash into her head leh <_< . no wear belt maybe she fly and her head go thru the taxi roof can also what! :D

I'm beginning to feel the road is getting more and more dangerous, why can't people just drive safely. All road user just want to get to their destination safely and happily...... [:(]

Neutral Newbie

No s--t bro,

you mean you can't see a car heading sideways into your lane or crossing the lane next to yours close to your car?

even crossing double white lines, you should be able to see the dickhead coming and take evasive action as such.

before you call me a kid spouting nonsense,

i deal with this b-------t day in day out, with women driving suvs, i had an suv pull out 3 car lengths in front of me, with no signal, headlights not on even, at 110kmh, i was still able to brake and avoid.

that happened just yesterday.

and i've had an x5 try to change lane into my car i braked and fell back. so whats the issue? step brake first, anger later.

Turbocharged

No s--t bro,

you mean you can't see a car heading sideways into your lane or crossing the lane next to yours close to your car?

even crossing double white lines, you should be able to see the dickhead coming and take evasive action as such.

i deal with this b-------t day in day out, with women driving suvs, i had an suv pull out 3 car lengths in front of me, with no signal, headlights not on even, at 110kmh, i was still able to brake and avoid.

and i've had an x5 try to change lane into my car i braked and fell back. so whats the issue? step brake first, anger later.

yes.. predicting other driver's possible action and being prepared for it, know your surrounding like where are the other cars relative to you, expecting the unexpected..all part and parcel of defensive driving..very very important..

Whether it's single or double continuous white line, I notice a lot of drivers boh chap and cut across. I think they shud come along with 3 inch long steel spikes in order for ppl to take notice.

Singapore a huge number of drivers here are impatient, & get complacent especially at night (both perdistains & drivers). Often I see car cross junction even when the lights are red.

I do blame him, no question about it, but what happen, can easily happen on a daily basis in Singapore. There is a serious need to educate people about driving.

Maybe encourage Singaporean to watch a video on safety & coutesy every time they renew their road tax, maybe give a 10 bucks discount on the road tax if they do.

I know those that insist to drive relessly, will do, but I am sure many don't even realise what they do are bad! & driving can be much more enjoyable ( & cheaper) if everyone exerise some consideration & tolerances.

The sentencing norm for causing death by a negligent act, which is what he was charged under, is a fine and disqualification of license. Only in special circumstances will the Court impose a custodial sentence for negligence.

If however, he had been found to have caused death by a rash act, then imprisonment is the norm.

It does not mean that everytime someone dies, the accused should go to jail/hang. There are different levels of blameworthiness. Negligence --> Recklessness --> Intentional. Punishment has to be proportionate to the blameworthiness.

ST ftw! Never explain anything properly. Bah.

We don't have a justice system here but rather a legal system, so do not expect justice to be served in courts.

Cutting through double white line and causing the death of a love one of some people, this is a v light sentence.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_592119.html

Oct 18, 2010

P-driver fined for fatal accident

By Elena Chong

A PROBATIONARY driver who caused the death of a taxi passenger by a negligent act was fined a total of $9,000 on Monday on two charges.

District Judge Low Wee Ping also banned Gabriel Lim Yong Han, 21, from driving for 12 months.

Lim, who pleaded guilty, was driving his father's lorry which had encroached into the path of a taxi when he unlawfully drove across two double white lines from a slip road of Bishan Street 11 into Braddell Road on Dec 27, 2008.

The collision resulted in the death of rear seat passenger Tan Sheng Ping, 28, an accountant.

He also admitted causing hurt to cabby Teo Cheng Liang, 41, by doing an act so negligently as to endanger life at 1.53am that day.

The court heard that Ms Tan, who was not buckled up, suffered serious head injuries and was taken to hospital where she died abut 2 1/2 hours later.

Defence lawyer Derek Kang said his client was a young and inexperienced driver at the time, having obtained his driving licence in April that year.

Lim could have been jailed for up to two years and/or fined for causing death by doing a a negligent act. The other offence is punishable with up to six months and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

Bro,

It takes experience plus 100% concentration. Just a moment of lapse can result in tragedy. Most if not all drivers, do have their moments of concentration lapse, no matter how experienced they are.

In fact, I've been imparting skills on anticipation to my wife whenever she drives my car (she just passed), and it has helped to improve her driving as they don't teach anticipation in driving schools. But I still did not let her drive alone as she still has a lot to learn.

As mentioned in Class 95 today, I would say it would be a good idea to have an experienced driver to accompany a P plate driver at least for 1 year so as to ensure they have someone to guide them in driving in real life.

No s--t bro,

Neutral Newbie

Bro,

It takes experience plus 100% concentration. Just a moment of lapse can result in tragedy. Most if not all drivers, do have their moments of concentration lapse, no matter how experienced they are.

In fact, I've been imparting skills on anticipation to my wife whenever she drives my car (she just passed), and it has helped to improve her driving as they don't teach anticipation in driving schools. But I still did not let her drive alone as she still has a lot to learn.

As mentioned in Class 95 today, I would say it would be a good idea to have an experienced driver to accompany a P plate driver at least for 1 year so as to ensure they have someone to guide them in driving in real life.

If you deal with stupid drivers day in day out, you'll eventually learn to be on the ball all the time.

Yeah, a moment of lapse in judgment can result in tragedy, but if you are vigilant and make it a habit to be vigilant, this can greatly reduce the chance of such an accident occuring.

a simple, periodic rear view mirror, side mirrors, and a glance at the sidewalk is enough, if anything happens, the body will just react accordingly.

No joke bro? Guide for a year??? :blink: Nobody guided me when I started driving. 1 or 2 months should be enuff IMO -_-

If the lorry crashed into a bike with pillion, then i wonder will the punishment be heavier....?

yes.. predicting other driver's possible action and being prepared for it, know your surrounding like where are the other cars relative to you, expecting the unexpected..all part and parcel of defensive driving..very very important..

"Predicting other driver's possible action"...hmm if a "she" than i surrender with both hands. 9 out of 10 times i got it wrong. The one time i got it right she was hogging the lane. [:p]

Turbocharged

"Predicting other driver's possible action"...hmm if a "she" than i surrender with both hands. 9 out of 10 times i got it wrong. The one time i got it right she was hogging the lane. [:p]

If a "she", i'll siam far far away by either overtaking or let her drive far far away.. [laugh] [laugh]

jokes aside, driving needs 100% concentration..it's not hard to anticipate other people's action and be prepared once you're experienced enough..

↡ Advertisement