Punishment too light?

Vid

It took me about 6 months (18,000km) to get the hang of driving my first car for most situations. It is going easier for auto cars but for manual cars, more time is needed to get the hang of it.

No joke bro? Guide for a year??? :blink: Nobody guided me when I started driving. 1 or 2 months should be enuff IMO -_-

↡ Advertisement

doesn't it just make you feel like maybe i also should go knock somebody down?

9k i got, 1 yr revoke i don't mind but i can boast that i killed somebody before!

Good move to eliminate one's thorn in the flesh ... [gossip][gossip]

so light the sentence?

wah... so the courts are sending a msg to ppl. if u wanna kill someone just use a motorvehicle instead. make it look like an accident one can escape long jail terms and capital punishment

This person is literally getting away with murder.

Can the family take civil lawsuit to sue the pants off this man?

Sorry I'm not a lawyer but reading this makes my blood boil.

A innocent life is lost and the perpetrator is getting off with just $9k and 12 months driving ban???

WFT?!! [furious]

Neutral Newbie

This person is literally getting away with murder.

Can the family take civil lawsuit to sue the pants off this man?

Sorry I'm not a lawyer but reading this makes my blood boil.

A innocent life is lost and the perpetrator is getting off with just $9k and 12 months driving ban???

WFT?!! [furious]

Hope u dont cause an accident which results in some1 dying on the roads in future. Your words will come back to slap your face. And yes, the deceased can file a claim agaisnt the Lorry's insurance IF the driver wasnt drunk.

So easy for everyone to throw stones and demand greater punishment. Typical mob mentality. I take it that all of you crying for blood has never broken some minor or major traffic rule one way or another. (Driving at 61kmh IS speeding just FYI).

Its just fate or random coincidence or plain bad luck, anyone ever think about the guilt he has to live through his whole life now with blood on his hands? It may be worse than just a simple death sentence.

The sentencing norm for causing death by a negligent act, which is what he was charged under, is a fine and disqualification of license. Only in special circumstances will the Court impose a custodial sentence for negligence.

If however, he had been found to have caused death by a rash act, then imprisonment is the norm.

It does not mean that everytime someone dies, the accused should go to jail/hang. There are different levels of blameworthiness. Negligence --> Recklessness --> Intentional. Punishment has to be proportionate to the blameworthiness.

ST ftw! Never explain anything properly. Bah.

keyword is intent.

was it on purpose?

was it a lapse in judgment?

or just plain inexperience?

go back a couple of years, the MX5 guy was jailed for his rash act during the test drive.

Singapore a huge number of drivers here are impatient, & get complacent especially at night (both perdistains & drivers). Often I see car cross junction even when the lights are red.

I do blame him, no question about it, but what happen, can easily happen on a daily basis in Singapore. There is a serious need to educate people about driving.

Maybe encourage Singaporean to watch a video on safety & coutesy every time they renew their road tax, maybe give a 10 bucks discount on the road tax if they do.

I know those that insist to drive relessly, will do, but I am sure many don't even realise what they do are bad! & driving can be much more enjoyable ( & cheaper) if everyone exerise some consideration & tolerances.

this video could help..let all drivers watch..

the roads are getting dangerous recently..everyone pls drive safe! [drivingcar]

Hope u dont cause an accident which results in some1 dying on the roads in future. Your words will come back to slap your face. And yes, the deceased can file a claim agaisnt the Lorry's insurance IF the driver wasnt drunk.

So easy for everyone to throw stones and demand greater punishment. Typical mob mentality. I take it that all of you crying for blood has never broken some minor or major traffic rule one way or another. (Driving at 61kmh IS speeding just FYI).

Its just fate or random coincidence or plain bad luck, anyone ever think about the guilt he has to live through his whole life now with blood on his hands? It may be worse than just a simple death sentence.

If I cause an accident then I would expect to accept the full consequences like a man.

Do you have a problem with accepting responsibilities?

Lim, who pleaded guilty, was driving his father's lorry which had encroached into the path of a taxi when he unlawfully drove across two double white lines from a slip road of Bishan Street 11 into Braddell Road on Dec 27, 2008.

this is a common mistake that even experience driver will make, you see this everyday on the road, so i guess driver must also keep a look out when approaching and anticipate for vehicle that do that.

How do you define mistakes?

This is never a mistake.

This is a deliberate action done by drivers who eithier ....want to cut into a queue, make a entry into a opposite road or make a turn or get into the faster lane after exiting from a slip lane.

Or simply changes lane anyhow, anywhere they wish to.

The double white line is double for a good reason and even a partially blind could see.

The meaning of traffic signs are clear and obvious.

One choses to disobey the rules, not on the spur of the moment but with well thought of deliberation...

THAT is not a mistake!

I fear for you if you are a parent bringing up a child of your own.

How do you define mistakes?

This is never a mistake.

This is a deliberate action done by drivers who eithier ....want to cut into a queue, make a entry into a opposite road or make a turn or get into the faster lane after exiting from a slip lane.

Or simply changes lane anyhow, anywhere they wish to.

The double white line is double for a good reason and even a partially blind could see.

The meaning of traffic signs are clear and obvious.

One choses to disobey the rules, not on the spur of the moment but with well thought of deliberation...

THAT is not a mistake!

I fear for you if you are a parent bringing up a child of your own.

when i said mistake, it is not to everyone knowledge of the Rule that a vehicle can't cross over a double white line cos you still see many drivers doing it (whether to their knowledge or not, i duno).

I was fined and then learn from this mistake.

The action you mentioned, if deliberate will be dangerous driving without consideration.

Neutral Newbie

If I cause an accident then I would expect to accept the full consequences like a man.

Do you have a problem with accepting responsibilities?

Did the driver not accept the full consequences?

He accepted the consequences of the LAW, you want himt go jump off a building?

Is that your idea of accepting the full consequences?

↡ Advertisement