Punishment too light?

Vid

Neutral Newbie

How do you define mistakes?

This is never a mistake.

This is a deliberate action done by drivers who eithier ....want to cut into a queue, make a entry into a opposite road or make a turn or get into the faster lane after exiting from a slip lane.

Or simply changes lane anyhow, anywhere they wish to.

The double white line is double for a good reason and even a partially blind could see.

The meaning of traffic signs are clear and obvious.

One choses to disobey the rules, not on the spur of the moment but with well thought of deliberation...

THAT is not a mistake!

I fear for you if you are a parent bringing up a child of your own.

Well spoken by a saint.

Clap Clap

↡ Advertisement

Did the driver not accept the full consequences?

He accepted the consequences of the LAW, you want himt go jump off a building?

Is that your idea of accepting the full consequences?

Your examples seems extreme.

We are discussing whether the law has err on being too light on the errant driver.

The guy drove into a taxi and killed an innocent young lady and got off with just $9k fine and 12 months driving ban.

You seems to think that is sufficient??

But I'll play along if this childish tone is what you like - i hope this driver don't get his license back 12 months later and kill you or your love ones.

Hope that don't come back and slap you in your face.

Eh?

when i said mistake, it is not to everyone knowledge of the Rule that a vehicle can't cross over a double white line cos you still see many drivers doing it (whether to their knowledge or not, i duno).

I was fined and then learn from this mistake.

The action you mentioned, if deliberate will be dangerous driving without consideration.

He drove a heavy vehicle across a line(double or not) without checking and hit a taxi.

Do you know how frightening that is?

I do - because I was hit by a large lorry exactly the same way with my wife and daughter in the car.

Luckily for us the a-----e did not swerve all the way or i'll not be typing this today.

He drove a heavy vehicle across a line(double or not) without checking and hit a taxi.

Do you know how frightening that is?

I do - because I was hit by a large lorry exactly the same way with my wife and daughter in the car.

Luckily for us the a-----e did not swerve all the way or i'll not be typing this today.

would you let a truck run over you again when you approach the double white line and you still think you have the right of way?

defensive driving is to anticipate not that i have the right .... then assume the other will follow the rules, if they don't they are wrong.... so what if he is wrong? everyone suffer!

i got fined for crossing the double white line (no car around and only the TP spotted me [:(] ) and i am now more aware and not to assume when come to those roads...

i defintely agree with you

P platers should not be allowed to drive lowlee

lowlee is big weapon, put in the wrong hands, that's it

small van maybe no need

but lowlee is differrent

Neutral Newbie

i respect the judge and i believe his decision is right,

there are a lot of mitigating factors, and IF you get sideswiped, you seriously need to open your eyes more.

LORRY so f big and you cannot see?

when i said mistake, it is not to everyone knowledge of the Rule that a vehicle can't cross over a double white line cos you still see many drivers doing it (whether to their knowledge or not, i duno).

I was fined and then learn from this mistake.

The action you mentioned, if deliberate will be dangerous driving without consideration.

Read what you post!

Who are the drivers here ( starting in MCF ) that have NO knowledge that vehicle can't cross a double white line?

Who?

You're damn lame as a person and dangerous too, on the roads.

BTW, let me also tell you ( and you are the type of person very likely to do this ) that you can't cross over chevron lines too!

I can't tell you what are the rest of the traffic laws you have NO KNOELEDGE until now. I only hope that ppl like you, don't ever meet me on the roads!

==================================================================

No wonder ppl get killed on the roads...everyday. You have ppl, who would tell you that HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of basic traffic laws and they are 'qualified' to drive on the roads! [:(]

Read what you post!

Who are the drivers here ( starting in MCF ) that have NO knowledge that vehicle can't cross a double white line?

Who?

You're damn lame as a person and dangerous too, on the roads.

BTW, let me also tell you ( and you are the type of person very likely to do this ) that you can't cross over chevron lines too!

I can't tell you what are the rest of the traffic laws you have NO KNOELEDGE until now. I only hope that ppl like you, don't ever meet me on the roads!

==================================================================

No wonder ppl get killed on the roads...everyday. You have ppl, who would tell you that HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of basic traffic laws and they are 'qualified' to drive on the roads! [:(]

i forgot if i come across this rule in basic theory during my time (got my license at 17), that why i have no knowledge.

but so far i only had one minor accident in more than 20 years of driving that i ran into another car on slip road (another COMMON mistake if i have to say it again [:p] ) .

Don't worry, with my kind of driving, you probably see me everyday on the road who some time give way to you and occasionally piss you off [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Your examples seems extreme.

We are discussing whether the law has err on being too light on the errant driver.

The guy drove into a taxi and killed an innocent young lady and got off with just $9k fine and 12 months driving ban.

You seems to think that is sufficient??

But I'll play along if this childish tone is what you like - i hope this driver don't get his license back 12 months later and kill you or your love ones.

Hope that don't come back and slap you in your face.

Eh?

If a guy who does not stop at a stop line and accidentally ran over a person, killing him, what kind of punishment do you propose?

Your loved ones and my loved ones are on the roads all the time, facing people who are commiting such perceived "minor trangressions", who is to say it wont happen to them?

The crux of the problem is this, an action however small, has the ability to cause a consequence that is huge. There is no intent or malice to his actions, only conceit and stupidity. Demanding or calling for harsher punishments does not solve anything. What we must do is to solve the problem, not try to punish the one person harder. U think if he was hung people will stop crossing double white lines?

In some countries double white lines are also accompanied by bright orange plasic poles inbetween the lines, how come our world class ministars havent thought of stuff like that to prevent things like these from happening?

If a guy who does not stop at a stop line and accidentally ran over a person, killing him, what kind of punishment do you propose?

Your loved ones and my loved ones are on the roads all the time, facing people who are commiting such perceived "minor trangressions", who is to say it wont happen to them?

The crux of the problem is this, an action however small, has the ability to cause a consequence that is huge. There is no intent or malice to his actions, only conceit and stupidity. Demanding or calling for harsher punishments does not solve anything. What we must do is to solve the problem, not try to punish the one person harder. U think if he was hung people will stop crossing double white lines?

In some countries double white lines are also accompanied by bright orange plasic poles inbetween the lines, how come our world class ministars havent thought of stuff like that to prevent things like these from happening?

Ok I see you are starting to talk like an adult.

Great, so let's discuss this logically then.

You seems to forget that this person has broken the traffic rules and resulted directly in the death of another person.

This is not a minor transgression.

What I've been proposing is not that he jump off any buildings or he gets hung.

Simply that the law is there to protect the innocent and if someone breaks the law the person should be persecuted as to the severity of the offence.

You understand that both his offences could have resulted in jail terms but yet he only got a small fine and a 12 months driving ban.

Hardly the deterrent message that we should be sending to errant drivers or people who claimed ignorance of the law.

I'm suggesting that the judge should have thrown the book at the guy and gave him a jail term - all within the limit and purpose of having the laws for such offence in the first place.

The law is not just to serve the single purpose of punishment but also to the greater purpose of deterring others from commuting such offences.

This accident happened in 2008. It's 2010 now. With the case pending until now, can he drive during that time??? If he was suspended right after committing the "crime", does it mean he can drive now since the sentence was 12 months suspension and it has been 24 months since the accident happen?????

Since many here are saying the punishment is too light, what should be the appropiate sentence?

Perhaps a minimal jail sentence is more appropriate so that he will remember forever and ever. young pple nowadays are v forgetful

Perhaps a minimal jail sentence is more appropriate so that he will remember forever and ever. young pple nowadays are v forgetful

True... Let him do some reflection in his jaill cell for a few years?

True... Let him do some reflection in his jaill cell for a few years?

Not just for him to reflect on his mistake but also to make an example or deterrent to many careless drivers who seem to think it is perfectly ok to take some liberties when driving.

The rules are there to make the roads safe for everyone.

This accident happened in 2008. It's 2010 now. With the case pending until now, can he drive during that time??? If he was suspended right after committing the "crime", does it mean he can drive now since the sentence was 12 months suspension and it has been 24 months since the accident happen?????

You got the point. You are right. I believe the 12-months driving ban has expired. The accused only pay the fine? However, what if he had another accident after the 12-month driving ban expired? Perhaps the driver should attend refresher driving lessons with that lorry as training vehicle this time. My concern is our safety. I ever encountered lorry driver who blamed accident on his own bad luck, instead of his own negligence (he can never learn from his own mistake)

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Neutral Newbie

Ok I see you are starting to talk like an adult.

Great, so let's discuss this logically then.

You seems to forget that this person has broken the traffic rules and resulted directly in the death of another person.

This is not a minor transgression.

What I've been proposing is not that he jump off any buildings or he gets hung.

Simply that the law is there to protect the innocent and if someone breaks the law the person should be persecuted as to the severity of the offence.

You understand that both his offences could have resulted in jail terms but yet he only got a small fine and a 12 months driving ban.

Hardly the deterrent message that we should be sending to errant drivers or people who claimed ignorance of the law.

I'm suggesting that the judge should have thrown the book at the guy and gave him a jail term - all within the limit and purpose of having the laws for such offence in the first place.

The law is not just to serve the single purpose of punishment but also to the greater purpose of deterring others from commuting such offences.

Notice that i said perceived "minor transgressions"

Killing someone as a result of the "minor transgressions" does not make the act major or minor. Its the consequence of killing someone that is dire and not the act of crossing white lines.\

All I am saying is that even if you had hung him, these perceived "minor transgressions" aka not stopping at stop lines, crossing double white lines, illegal U-turns (VERY dangerous!) will continue to be commited every single day. Even if he went to jail or got hung, these will continue happening. This is why I do not understand the tit for tat or baying for blood mentality so many people here have, I dare bet that those who have been crying his blood have commited the very same offense of crossing double white lines at least once in their motoring life. They are just lucky and he wasnt.

I myself was the victim of a having a lorry rush past a stop line from a minor uncontrolled junction, he ran me down on my bike and i suffered concussions, losing my memories 12 hours prior to the acccident. Even today, I cant recall anything and the details were provided by the TP.

Notice that i said perceived "minor transgressions"

Killing someone as a result of the "minor transgressions" does not make the act major or minor. Its the consequence of killing someone that is dire and not the act of crossing white lines.\

All I am saying is that even if you had hung him, these perceived "minor transgressions" aka not stopping at stop lines, crossing double white lines, illegal U-turns (VERY dangerous!) will continue to be commited every single day. Even if he went to jail or got hung, these will continue happening. This is why I do not understand the tit for tat or baying for blood mentality so many people here have, I dare bet that those who have been crying his blood have commited the very same offense of crossing double white lines at least once in their motoring life. They are just lucky and he wasnt.

I myself was the victim of a having a lorry rush past a stop line from a minor uncontrolled junction, he ran me down on my bike and i suffered concussions, losing my memories 12 hours prior to the acccident. Even today, I cant recall anything and the details were provided by the TP.

Let me emphasize again that we are not talking about hanging anyone here.

You seems to gravitate towards something that nobody is advocating here - other than yourself.

Whether you term this as minor transgression or not has no bearing on this case.

The law is written clearly that the maximum punishment is amounting to jail term.

Since an innocent life is lost here is anyone 'crying for his blood' by asking that the law be applied to the severity of this case?

Unless you are so kind as to explain the the family of the innocent dead that this case is not severe enough to put this punishment on?

Again reminding you that this is written in the law.

You seems to be mistaking my call for justice and deterrence sentence to be baying for blood mentality.

I find that amusing.

Your argument is that since people continue to do these minor transgressions then we should just forget about doing anything about it?

Then why bother having any laws at all?

↡ Advertisement