Car battery lifespan getting shorter?

Kelpie

(edited)

Wow Amaron can last 4.5 years?

So change original car battery after 1 year

and then change at 5.5 years and drive until scrap?

I will try Amaron next time.

:grin: 

I hope I won't be disappointed.

Edited by Jamesc

On 6/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, inlinesix said:

1. State of charge: With daily of drive of 10+km, it is NOT enough to charge the battery once you divide the mileage by 2.

2. Location of the battery: A lot of times, battery placed in engine bay will be "destroyed" by heat.  Look at battery placed in the back.  It could last up to 5 years.  My previous BMW (battery in boot) has original factory battery till alternator voltage regulator fried the battery.

I am wondering is it so difficult to relocate the car battery from engine bay to car boot if can really pro-long the battery lifespan significantly. Can just use thick copper cables to link right? Most of car boots are quite big, definitely can box up a small area with enclosure for safety. And the engine bay is now less cluttered so other engine parts can have lower temperature so can last longer. Win win for all haha. But it will definitely void the warranty of the cars so not possible for those newer cars.

Really curious why this is not done by engineers designing cars. Anyone has insight on this?

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Amaron. [:p]

I may sound biased, but after replacing 1,000 of batteries, my conclusion is that Amaron for the most part is more reliable. Not that it's perfect, but if you have to put your money down, it's the least risky.

Yes. Amaron only for me😂

Anw amaron got 2 series. Amaron pro is even more lasting then normal amaron😉

11 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I am wondering is it so difficult to relocate the car battery from engine bay to car boot if can really pro-long the battery lifespan significantly. Can just use thick copper cables to link right? Most of car boots are quite big, definitely can box up a small area with enclosure for safety. And the engine bay is now less cluttered so other engine parts can have lower temperature so can last longer. Win win for all haha. But it will definitely void the warranty of the cars so not possible for those newer cars.

Really curious why this is not done by engineers designing cars. Anyone has insight on this?

Higher cost.

U see the spare tyre they even want save.on that. Many model refuse to give u a orginal rim 

• Praise 2

Balance Weight distribution in the engine bay area is very impt. Locating the battery in rear boot  is idea for space saving in engine bay but the location lack air flow , the end result battery will be operating in higher temp. The other problem is the very long battery cable to alternator - resulting in voltage drop. Running the long cable along the chassis  , in the event of cable is damaged , chance of grounding and may result in fire

• Praise 5

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Hamburger said:

But I have not seen any Amaron AGM batt before leh.

No, Amaron no AGM.

Hoppecke have AGM

• Praise 2

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

It's the cost involved.

Running a long, thick cable is quite expensive. You can't use a thinner cable, like you can if the battery is located in the engine compartment near the starter motor.

Also running a long positive cable in a negatively ground chassis is quite dangerous if the cable is not adequately protected, to prevent a short circuit.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Beregond said:

Higher cost.

U see the spare tyre they even want save.on that. Many model refuse to give u a orginal rim 

Not only higher cost. Normal flooded Lead acids vent out gas. So battery sitting in the closed boot is not good. If want to sit in boot then need to use AGM. 

batteries die faster now due to deep discharge caused by car cams in parking mode.  

best battery FAQ is http://www.batteryfaq.org/

been following it since 2000. Updated often. Best source of information. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Wow Amaron can last 4.5 years?

So change original car battery after 1 year

and then change at 5.5 years and drive until scrap?

I will try Amaron next time.

:grin: 

I hope I won't be disappointed.

I had changed a Amaron battery on a Camry that lasted 4 years, but it's kinda one off. It was a black coloured casing, before they switched to green.

Now, don't expect 4 yrs life span or you'll be disappointed. [:p]

Most of them died around 2~2.5 yrs.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I had changed a Amaron battery on a Camry that lasted 4 years, but it's kinda one off. It was a black coloured casing, before they switched to green.

Now, don't expect 4 yrs life span or you'll be disappointed. [:p]

Most of them died around 2~2.5 yrs.

OK then I will stick to Yuasa Ecor

[thumbsup]

As featured on SGCARMART

image.png.82d3402f0adf6be1f1a05ca77966a602.png

https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=2953

Japan made GS Yuasa ECO-R battery - Go green with your car battery

image.png.4b6d298456a513f2d4dda7c132a6547f.png

Supersonic
4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Not only higher cost. Normal flooded Lead acids vent out gas. So battery sitting in the closed boot is not good. If want to sit in boot then need to use AGM. 

batteries die faster now due to deep discharge caused by car cams in parking mode.  

Some batteries have vent holes, used to connect a vented hole in the car chassis. It's for prevention of dangerous build up of gas.

Long time ago, when I work in telco, one of my customers asked me why his telco battery cost US$500 while his car battery cost US$50. I didn't have an answer then. But now I know this.

Automotive battery is "cheap". They are designed for cranking engine. Lead plates are thin and big, to produce high current in a short period of time.

Deep discharge battery has much thicker lead plates, designed for longer discharge, but does not produce instant high current like automotive battery.

• Praise 2

Workshop tao-Kay told me amaron battery not suitable for Conti car wor.. he say conti go for verta better .. dunno got hao siao or not...

Maybe verta battery more expensive = higher margin for him.. Lol

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, Bezbee said:

Workshop tao-Kay told me amaron battery not suitable for Conti car wor.. he say conti go for verta better .. dunno got hao siao or not...

Time to change workshop.

• Praise 2

23 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Buy a portable jump start kit and keep in your car. Can be use to charge your hp too. 

Hi Fcw75,

Can you share the link or description where to buy this jump start kit.

Kamsia

Twincharged
51 minutes ago, Bezbee said:

Time to avoid such workshops then! Another bo tak che boss cum mechanic. 

Hypersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Acewin said:

Hi Fcw75,

Can you share the link or description where to buy this jump start kit.

Kamsia

Hi bro, just check out Qoo, Lazada or Shopee and see which one the cheapest.

Any brand is fine and the same frankly. I have used Powerall, RAVpower, Noco and after 1 year of leaving in the car, it will be become bloated either after charging or jump starting. 😅

This time round I bought a Baseus from Qoo. $52.90 after coupons. This one I leave at home for now but frankly it defeat the purpose....oh well.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2