Pedestrains Becoming "Impervous" to Cars and Zebra Crossing.

Mini-itx2010

Just wondering if pedestrains think that they are becoming impervous to cars and their flesh and bones are even tougher than steel.....

Cause near my house (consist of several small 2 lane roads), the way the pedestrians cross is really scary, they love to cross the road holding a phone and looking at opposite direction instead of looking for oncoming vechicles. Some see you come but still just cross at a leisure pace. Then some loves to cross at the exit of a T junction.

There is also problem with Zebra crossing. Remember how we were taught in school to ensure vehicle has stopped before crossing? They see a car coming in fast and they still cross. Of course, I am not saying they are wrong. Cars should look out for pedestrains at zebra crossing and should stop. Some drivers are either blind or brainless or whatever and never stop one (I seen several cases myself). But the thing is when accident occurs, whos at the losing end? Car damage can repair or replace, person dead can replace?

I feel as our tiny island gets more and more crowded with cars and people, there is a strong need to promote road safety for drivers and pedestrains.

↡ Advertisement

This happens everywhere... Even at pedestrian crossing... People can catwalk and take their time to cross even when the flashing green man has turned red...

This happens everywhere... Even at pedestrian crossing... People can catwalk and take their time to cross even when the flashing green man has turned red...

Seriously, I don't know whats becoming of our society. Things are not like that back then.....

What to do? They may be in the wrong but we can't and shouldn't bang them, because we'll still be at the losing end no matter what. Just drive slower and be more alert and defensive towards unexpected jaywalkers in residential and urban areas.

I have no problem with slowing down at zebra crossing when I see people approaching it. It does get irritating when able-bodied people take their own sweet time to stroll across - last week I even had one guy stop in the middle of the crossing to light a cigarette! I find it hard to believe that he will die of withdrawal symptoms by waiting till he got across before his smoke! But no choice, from the day we decide to drive, we acknowledge that it is inevitable we will meet reckless, selfish drivers and pedestrians from time to time and always have to be prepared.

Aiya, nowadays not only pedestrains anyhow cross the rd w/o looking. Even motorists also drive w/o giving way to pedestrains. Often u cld see cars trying to turn at the traffic lights crossing even though they see pple crossing at green light! Or didn't stop at the zebra crossing for pedestrains!

Seriously, I don't know whats becoming of our society. Things are not like that back then.....

Better keep your distance and let them be... Only a few more seconds in exchange for a lifetime of regret should you buang into them... We drivers will always be on the losing end should anything happen...

Neutral Newbie

Bros, its says we bang them we r in the wrong coz drivers r always expected to look out for them.....but how many pair of eyes do drivers have to look out for cars, humans, bicycles etc...........juz be careful ourselves & ppl who got bang.....da bao only lor

just check, check and check..no other way except being careful [bigcry]

I think now pedestrains cross rd also must check, check and check. Often i nearly got knocked down when crossing at the pedestrains crossing! [sweatdrop]

Just be careful on the road. If they are not looking, we look. Pedestrians expect cars to give way so we drivers LL have to give way.

I think the authorities should ban cycling across the zebra/pedestrian crossings. Had several encounters with cyclist appearing very quickly in front of me and had to jam brakes.

as others have mentioned, the problem cuts both ways.

not long ago, i brought my 3-yr old kid to nearby mama shop which is across the two-direction road.

during the process of crossing, halfway at the zebra crossing, a delivery truck was heading towards us.

i thought it would stop but just to play safe, i stopped, and guess what, that bloody driver just zoomed past me and my kid.

he stopped about 10m away to deliver some goods. i showed him my middle finger, and he still dared to stare back.

seriously, if i wasn't with my kid, i would have taken the law into my own hands.... :angry:

Neutral Newbie

well, your horn is there for a reason,

and @ Teowilliam, you're supposed to slow down at a z crossing, so why do you have to jam brakes if a cyclist appears?

are you not slowing down then?

What I meant was when u r preparing to move off(rolling), then a bloody cyclist appear in front of you before you can see him. I didn't mentioned that I was traveling at a fast speed at a zebra/pedestrian crossing. Sorry if i let you have the wrong idea.

Just be careful on the road. If they are not looking, we look. Pedestrians expect cars to give way so we drivers LL have to give way.

coz if knock them die and they die, drivers right or wrong also die!

Neutral Newbie

What I meant was when u r preparing to move off(rolling), then a bloody cyclist appear in front of you before you can see him. I didn't mentioned that I was traveling at a fast speed at a zebra/pedestrian crossing. Sorry if i let you have the wrong idea.

horn them lo, they have no right of way if they're on 2 wheels, just horn.

but then again, dont need to get so worked up la.

I've been hit by a car while crossing the z crossing on a bicycle, about 4 years back, when i got up and cleared my head, the guy had gone, was pretty pissed, but i'm alive, so it doesn't matter.