Fail to Renew Road tax with partial insurance cover

Hippoheyhey

Hi Brothers,

Need some advise and help.

My current road tax expires on 29 Dec 2010. Next road tax expires 29 Dec 2011.

Current insurance expires 30 Mar 2011 due to me being a second owner.

LTA has said I will not be able to renew my road tax unless the car insurance is extended to 29 Dec 2011.

However my current insurer Chartis (AIG) said they do not extend insurance more than 6 months.

What are my options now?

↡ Advertisement

Hi Brothers,

LTA has said I will not be able to renew my road tax unless the car insurance is extended to 29 Dec 2011.

However my current insurer Chartis (AIG) said they do not extend insurance more than 6 months.

What are my options now?

buy until 2012

Hi Brothers,

What are my options now?

buy half yr till june 2011?

Brother

Buy from direct Asia, you can purchase a min 7 months insurance. So for your case, buy from March till Dec 2011, you just need to buy 9 months insurance and they will pro-rate it. You can pay using credit card with instalments as well

Edited by Funny88

The only way is extend ins to 30sep2011 with current ins company . Then can paid road tax unit 30sep2011 ( 6 mths ). Cant change ins company at this point of time .

Neutral Newbie

Hippoheyhey,

I face the same problem with my company's van road tax previously..but was able to extend the insurance for another extra 2 mths(NTUC and paid the extra extended 2mths insurance price)..

So i guess yr current insurance company mite wanna ripped u out by saying they cant extend for 6 mths..sum insurance company would prefer customers to buy 1 whole full year insurance...in yr case, u cant change a new insurance company(like wat Jasonjst hv said) since yr current insurance ran up to Mar2010...i think u hv to play tough,nego harder wit yr current insurance company or mayb try saying like wanna cancel the current insurance since unable to extend..if cant extend,cant renew road tax,cant drive,then wats the point of having sure insurance?

Mine is OPC, cannot renew 6 months, must be 12 months.

Cannot buy new insurance because no insurance company will let me buy from 31 Mar 2011 to 29 Dec 2011.

First-Class LTA.

Any other ways?

Neutral Newbie

In tat case,how abt cancel yr current insurance at Dec 2010 and sign up wit a new insurance company starting frm Jan 2011 to Dec 2011?

In tat case,how abt cancel yr current insurance at Dec 2010 and sign up wit a new insurance company starting frm Jan 2011 to Dec 2011?

My NCD will start from 0% again [:(]

I dont see where is the problem that your insurer Chartis cannot renew until the road tax expiry date. They charge premium pro-rated. Very inflexible. I can imagine how they behave when it come to claims.

Hi Brothers,

What are my options now?

call up your insurance company.

tell them that you need to get covered from 31st Mar 2011 to 29th Dec 2011 to match your road tax.

they surely can do it and they should know about this situation will happen when one purchased a 2nd hand OPC.

you are not the only one get hit by this.

i have doubts if they are not willing to do so.

↡ Advertisement