Apple Macbook Air

Cerano

Hey guys

thinking of buying the new Apple Macbook air but the 1.6ghz processor only comes with the 11.6 on 128GB SSD.

I actually only need the 64gb SSD but that only comes with 1.4ghz core 2 duo.

Do you think 1.4ghz and 1.6ghz core 2 duo makes a big difference?

↡ Advertisement

Such an coincidence, I was reading it today.

Actually they are not using hard drive for storage. They are using flash memory chip like those used in thumb drives, usb drives and RAM but in a really big capacity of 32gb x 4 pcs. See attached pic. They are on the top left corner.

design_flash20101020.jpg

design_power1_20101020.jpg

According to apple they also use these flash memory in their i products like ipod, iphone & ipad. No hard drives.

No hard-drives means more space for other stuff like their batts.Their batt (also 4 pcs) occupies the most space.

If you ask me 1.4ghz or 1.6 ghz, it depends on what you use this mac for. If there plenty of graphics involved, of course take the 1.6ghz with 4G RAM. But screen is only 11.6" I doubt that it makes a lot of difference.

Edited by Watwheels

Such an coincidence, I was reading it today.

Actually they are not using SSD or hard drive for storage. They are using flash memory chip like those used in thumb drives, usb drives and RAM but in a really big capacity of 32gb x 4 pcs. See attached pic. They are on the top left corner.

design_flash20101020.jpg

design_power1_20101020.jpg

According to apple they also use these flash memory in their i products like ipod, iphone & ipad. No hard drives.

No hard-drives means more space for other stuff like their batts.Their batt (also 4 pcs) occupies the most space.

If you ask me 1.4ghz or 1.6 ghz, it depends on what you use this mac for. If there plenty of graphics involved, of course take the 1.6ghz with 4G RAM. But screen is only 11.6" I doubt that it makes a lot of difference.

Ahh

it is my understanding that SSDs are essentially just flash chips

i have a vaio P with a 64gb SSD currently

I intend to use it for alot of youtube watching,msn and light paperwork + surfing net.

most important is no lag during usage so does ram make more difference or the processor in this case?

Neutral Newbie

wow. its a luxury to watch youtube, surfing, msn and light paperwork on a notebook like this. but i want also.

did you have a special price for it or something?

wow. its a luxury to watch youtube, surfing, msn and light paperwork on a notebook like this. but i want also.

did you have a special price for it or something?

no la

just like it.never bought a mac before but ive always been a fan of small notebooks.

its either this or an ipad which is pretty useless since its like my iphone

so which would be better/ more value for money/necessary

1.4ghz + 4gb ram ($150 topup i think)

or

1.6ghz + 2gb ram

or

1.6ghz + 4gb ram

:D I confuse SSD with HDD.

More processing power and ram is good on generating graphic quality(like 3D). For your case I think no need to go to 1.6ghz & 4g ram. 1.4ghz & 2g ram is enough. Somemore got built-in graphic card NIVDIA or something. Good enough.

Edited by Watwheels

:D I confuse SSD with HDD.

More processing power and ram is good on generating graphic quality(like 3D). For your case I think no need to go to 1.6ghz & 4g ram. 1.4ghz & 2g ram is enough. Somemore got built-in graphic card NIVDIA or something. Good enough.

Ahh i see

yup it has a Nvidia Geforce 320M thats why i thought it will be no problem playing 1080p vids.

Just wondering if it will lag while playing songs + paperwork + surfing net.

Ahh i see

yup it has a Nvidia Geforce 320M thats why i thought it will be no problem playing 1080p vids.

Of course lah, You are using more processing power when you multi-task all 3. But I dun like laptops becos the lack of space/ventilation will cause it to heat up easily. Which also means processing speed will not be in the optimum, in other words slow or what you call lag.

I was a laptop user before. Still prefer to use desktop cos I can add more fan or easily upgrade cpu and ram if I want to.

Ahh i see

I am reading the spec.

The 11" model only support 768 lines while the 13" model has 900 lines. They are not full HD.

But since the screen is small, the effect should still be very good.

$1500 for 11" with SSD @1.06kg. It's a bargain!

its either this or an ipad which is pretty useless since its like my iphone

The ipad is actually nothing like an iphone.

You need to spend time with it to see the point of it. It's big enough to read properly without squinting, small enough to be much more portable than a clamshell laptop, convenient enough to use on the go without a table or anything like that, very fast (instant power on/power off, instant online, anywhere), no need to care about conserving energy (11 hour battery life)...

Basically, it's one of the best tools for consuming media, internet content, social networking and entertainment. And yes, with Vonage/pingchat, it's like a big iphone cos you can make calls/SMS with it too...

Yup the iPad is my PED - Personal Entertainment Device

I use it to watch movies streamed from my PC anywhere in the house...

Surfing on my iPad while watching TV is now a habit...hahah

Streaming of music from my PC - don't even need to download songs to my iPad anymore...

Of course, I am an apps junkie - tons and tons of apps downloaded using AppShopper (it highlights which apps have price cuts - some to free - as well as interesting new apps)

I am reading the spec.

The 11" model only support 768 lines while the 13" model has 900 lines. They are not full HD.

But since the screen is small, the effect should still be very good.

$1500 for 11" with SSD @1.06kg. It's a bargain!

For that price, I think I will stick with my Macbook

Lugging it around also helps to build up my arm muscles [laugh]

You need to spend time with it to see the point of it. It's big enough to read properly without squinting, small enough to be much more portable than a clamshell laptop, convenient enough to use on the go without a table or anything like that, very fast (instant power on/power off, instant online, anywhere), no need to care about conserving energy (11 hour battery life)...

Basically, it's one of the best tools for consuming media, internet content, social networking and entertainment. And yes, with Vonage/pingchat, it's like a big iphone cos you can make calls/SMS with it too...

yup but because I already have a 600g vaio P that can do actual word processing with ppt presentation and all with full windows 7 that the ipad cant...

I have fren who make biz proposal with Ipad.

Please do write pre-purchase a 6 page complaint letter in anticipation.

Re: Singtel Iphon4. :D

Hey guys

thinking of buying the new Apple Macbook air but the 1.6ghz processor only comes with the 11.6 on 128GB SSD.

I actually only need the 64gb SSD but that only comes with 1.4ghz core 2 duo.

Do you think 1.4ghz and 1.6ghz core 2 duo makes a big difference?

Please do write pre-purchase a 6 page complaint letter in anticipation.

Re: Singtel Iphon4. :D

Apple service is always [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement