Retire at 68 yrs old???

WTF

that's the price to pay for living longer. If ask u to give up living longer, which means having less time alive to spend with loved ones, in return for not working longer years, will u do it?

frankly i think not enough.

for an average joe, looking at the current hdb prices, standard of living etc, when one reach 68, there will be not much saving for them for old age, be it own saving or CPF.

taking into account, by that time, their kids are also looking for new hdb to stay, maybe 3 rooms half million by than, they will be struggling to buy a new flat, so ending the kids no money to give parents.

so u think 68 to retire is too damn long? I think otherwise. maybe must work till death....

Edited by Tom_kkh

giving all the cleaning, kopitiam, etc jobs to foreigners where to find jobs for those 62+?

these jobs are given to foreigners because we gave them up ourselves. They were not snatched from our hands. As a people, we have gotten lazy, and are unwilling to lower ourselves to do dirty (though honest and respectable) jobs. See the TS, he's one of the many among us who are dying to retire early, shake leg at home and relax, not realising that such a way of living has been proven to be unsustainable.

The leisurely retirement is a myth born in the last century and it should have died a long time ago.

If want to be alive, it's only right that we work for our own food on the table.

these jobs are given to foreigners because we gave them up ourselves. They were not snatched from our hands. As a people, we have gotten lazy, and are unwilling to lower ourselves to do dirty (though honest and respectable) jobs. See the TS, he's one of the many among us who are dying to retire early, shake leg at home and relax, not realising that such a way of living has been proven to be unsustainable.

The leisurely retirement is a myth born in the last century and it should have died a long time ago.

If want to be alive, it's only right that we work for our own food on the table.

I beg to differ slightly.

The locals turn away from such jobs, are not primarily becos the jobs are more difficult but such jobs , even if taken by locals, are not paid enough even to survive to meet present cost of living standards.

Some would say this happened becos there is 'NO MINIMUM WAGE protection in Sinkland.

Sinkies ( the poorer lot) need to broaden their minds further and not be kept in a state where they are fed in both mind and soul, by the govnering body such that they except such crap from those fatly paid ppl, who run their system.

It is always the strong ( in financial means) who bully the weak.

And it seems that the weak are told that they will have to die, even without a means to buy their own coffin!

The locals turn away from such jobs, are not primarily becos the jobs are more difficult but such jobs , even if taken by locals, are not paid enough even to survive to meet present cost of living standards.

Although i'm also a supporter of minimum wage, your above statement is not true, if and only if our "retirees" are willing to do such jobs. By 68 years of age, housing should be fully-paid, kids all grown up and hopefully the retiree in question has been keeping his body in good health and don't have any money-sapping vices. At the current wage levels paid to foreigners, if it can sustain a foreign worker, it can sustain a retiree in such conditions.

Of course, the exclusion of any of the above conditions, makes the discussion pointless....like how some retirees are addicted to gambling, have mistresses, or have not taken good care of their health....like this give them $1M in pension also no use.

Neutral Newbie

i would think those jobs were taken by foreigners is not bcos the 62+ are not hardworking enough. my guess is they cannot work cheaper, better, faster.

"A law that will make it mandatory for employers to offer re-employment to workers beyond the age of 62 will be in place by 2012."

Isn't it a good thing to raise retirement age to 68. This, together with the laws that come with the policy, will help the poor obtain employment. Only when it comes to CPF monies will the poor be affected with regards to withdrawal of funds.

Why react negatively to this? If you are rich banker.. no one is stoppping you from retiring by 40 years old.. the govt policy to increase retirement age wont affect u abit.

Now buy EC must take 35 years loan. 40years loan are possible too.

If you graduate from uni at age 23.

Work 5 years to save up downpayment and wedding costs. Age will be 28.

Just nice in time to buy properties, be it HDb, EC or privates.

So nice swee swee can retire at 68 (28+40) years old to finally finished off paying the house and enjoy the fruit of labour!!!!!

What a thoughtful government!

Now buy EC must take 35 years loan. 40years loan are possible too.

If you graduate from uni at age 23.

Work 5 years to save up downpayment and wedding costs. Age will be 28.

Just nice in time to buy properties, be it HDb, EC or privates.

So nice swee swee can retire at 68 (28+40) years old to finally finished off paying the house and enjoy the fruit of labour!!!!!

What a thoughtful government!

how the hell you grad at 23?

hahahaha

Neutral Newbie

thats why till today i still hestitate to put $ into expensive properties in singapore and stay in my humble 3room flat. although lately i am very tempted to but still resisting because i refuse to be suckered into the singaporean dream and spent money suporting the economy. the reason why they want you to retire later is so that you can continue to work and support yourself and not burden the matrix and also continue to pay tax whether regressive or not.

stay debt free and saved 110%-150% of monthly income and retire anytime i want.

Recently, in France, the gahment increase the retirement ago and the French go on riot...Here we just LL and suck thumb....

anyways, i don think those average joe, born in the late 70s and later can retire at the age of 68, so wht to strike?

↡ Advertisement