How many of you plan to retire in another country ?

Jasonjst

Retire in other country  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Retire in other country

• Retire in other country
    • Retire in SG

With the heated debate on Retirement age , Dont know why defend SG , FTs issue, HDB out of reach ,high COE, ERP, MRT sadine pack , ever increasing cost of living ....

will you consider retiring in another country , or stay in SG to work for the rest of your life ?

Edited by Jasonjst
↡ Advertisement

I thought of that but I don't think so.

I look around I see my family, the hawker centers, orchard road. I think I still like it here.

Overseas is for holidays lar.

With money Singapore is the best place to retire.

You will be safe and is close to the city beat, get medical help, get shopping, get food easily 24/7.

Other countries.....well.....not sure the slow lifestyle may be boring after few months. I assume when one says migrating to retire, means to go to a slow and big country to enjoy the open space and fresh mountains ai.?

How much gardening, climbing montains, walking in the parks can a retired old person do anyway?

Neutral Newbie

my dream/interest is in growing stuff, especially fish/fruits

and then, also building things, i can't do any of those in singapore, tassie sounds like a good place, i like peace and quiet.

Can someone tell me for a couple, how much $ is needed for every 10 years of retirement if they retire right now? And in which country/city?

Just a wild guess example to show what I am asking for: India/Hyderabad, SGD$150K, so if want to retire 40 years = SGD$600K b4 factoring inflation

Retire in boleh land.

Corruption yes. So what. Can speak mandarin and English and Cantonese and hokien and we look like malaysians too. No much diff.

Family n friends? Easy. I m sure quite a fair no of sinkies also tink like me, retire in boleh land.

Can someone tell me for a couple, how much $ is needed for every 10 years of retirement if they retire right now? And in which country/city?

Just a wild guess example to show what I am asking for: India/Hyderabad, SGD$150K, so if want to retire 40 years = SGD$600K b4 factoring inflation

I think to retire in another country, you need to 1st settle a shelter.

In MY, you need to buy a house for RM250k, minimum. A decent car probably set you back around RM100K but no COE, low tax & no parking fees.

Make sure you are well covered medically, since MY so near, can always go back SG for hospitalization if not comfortable with local hospitals.

I think RM200 per month got change for utilites. Each month living expenses not exceeding RM600 (makan, movies, driving & etc).

Regards,

True. Singapore is the best place to retire. As for why people bother to go overseas and retire, cause they do not have enough to retire here.

It is very different to travel overseas as compared to staying there long term

True. Singapore is the best place to retire. As for why people bother to go overseas and retire, cause they do not have enough to retire here.

It is very different to travel overseas as compared to staying there long term

Not true that those who don't have enough will choose to go overseas. You 1st need some cash to settle there i.e. to buy house, vehicles and etc while keeping your properties in SG.

Regards,

With money Singapore is the best place to retire.

You will be safe and is close to the city beat, get medical help, get shopping, get food easily 24/7.

Other countries.....well.....not sure the slow lifestyle may be boring after few months. I assume when one says migrating to retire, means to go to a slow and big country to enjoy the open space and fresh mountains ai.?

How much gardening, climbing montains, walking in the parks can a retired old person do anyway?

Yes fully agree the Got Money part !! :D:D

What happen if the scenario is this :-

You are a average Joe in the early 60s .... your saving is just enough to survive another 20 to 25 years of low key living in a slower economy. If you continue working in SG you are paid like $800/= doing some low end job, you may need to top up another $700 from your hard earn saving to survive in SG . What advise you will give to Joe then ?

(A lot of rich ppl in MFC will say this is because Joe is not competivity , lazy and hence got himself to be blame ! )

Not true that those who don't have enough will choose to go overseas. You 1st need some cash to settle there i.e. to buy house, vehicles and etc while keeping your properties in SG.

Regards,

Face the fact, you will require lesser to retire than say some lesser developed countries i.e bolehland

If singapore can offer what bolehland offers, you think ppl still want to go there?

Face the fact, you will require lesser to retire than say some lesser developed countries i.e bolehland

If singapore can offer what bolehland offers, you think ppl still want to go there?

The fact is Singapore can't offers those stuff [laugh]. Sometimes it is not always about money that make you want to spend more time in overseas.

Regards,

Young and Aspiring civil servant must always remember that we are a country, not a company.

We also do not have kampong to retreat to like other big country.

Ti kong Bo bi, long live Lion city.

Yes. Provided i have worked up my savings and retirement plan.

Once i hit the 7 digit figure in savings, i'm moving to a developing nation.

Window of opportunity closing Liao......now a bit too late with all the new housing rule.....

Yes fully agree the Got Money part !! :D:D

What happen if the scenario is this :-

You are a average Joe in the early 60s .... your saving is just enough to survive another 20 to 25 years of low key living in a slower economy. If you continue working in SG you are paid like $800/= doing some low end job, you may need to top up another $700 from your hard earn saving to survive in SG . What advise you will give to Joe then ?

(A lot of rich ppl in MFC will say this is because Joe is not competivity , lazy and hence got himself to be blame ! )

I thought there was once a survey shown that only a very low percentage of Singaporean have enough for retirement. So is the govt going to give money to support the average and below average Joe? The answer is no so better to get prepared early than to be sorry later. Import FT better, they just worked here and Govt don't have to worry about their old age matters. The average Joe only have SG to call their home and where can they go?

By then, how many true blue Singaporean can really call Singapore their home when they get old? Very sad.

Regards,

The fact is Singapore can't offers those stuff [laugh]. Sometimes it is not always about money that make you want to spend more time in overseas.

Regards,

U can say Switzerland, that's ok.

But Malaysia and Singapore? What makes u want to spend more time in Malaysia?

↡ Advertisement