Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

not easy to change clutch plates and the space constrain.....ðððð

Yes, it is not easy, need to drop the gearbox, half a day job.
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Changed the clutch few weeks, now shift like a dream. The old clutch wore off, not to the extend of clutch slip but quite wore already. The friction material also thin.

The idling is more stable compared to before clutch replacement. Maybe the clutch somehow bind or stick even when you release the clutch. I don't know.

Clutch kit is quite cheap but the labour cost is 150% more than the kit itself.

If your clutch is more than 100k km, might as well change it to enjoy the better engagement and smoother gear change.

I tried this with my old clutch. No problem with this test.

probably release bearing sticky.

Yes, it is not easy, need to drop the gearbox, half a day job.

Ya....i changed mine in December. RM 800 from ori exidy to aissin. I prefer the exidy clutch....

(edited)

Had been driving manual stick for the past 14-15 years and changed to auto 2 months back. This is my long winded limited experience sharing.

After 2.5 years of Auto Transmission car, I got my 1st Manual Car  at 2005, a Subaru WRX with no Auto Option , a relatively heavy clutch car. 

Before driving this car, occasionally i did drive those  1.5/1.6L manual cars  but mostly with no good experience with stalled engine , I was wondering could i handle this car. Convinced myself that practice made perfect .

Exciting moment started from Car collection day,with the car parked inside the show room that i needed to manoeuvre  to drive the car out. Car was parked facing Glass Panel , 1st gear, heavy clutch,not handled with care, car leapfrog and ....taking a deep breath and focus ..luckily nothing bad happened .

Despite the heavy clutch, the car was very forgiving on clutch release, it hardly stall even if  handled by  inexperience driver. The car literally can move off without stepping on gas pedal with condition of releasing  clutch slowly.

The rest were fun experience , Being Manual and relatively high power turbo charged car,  you got precise control on power flow and you paid attention to know the rpm range that gave you good torque to accelerate the car.  By instinct , you learnt and imprint in your head, you mapped out Rpm vs Speed vs Torque on each gear. 

Sound complicated but you learnt it without you knowing it . You dont need to learn complex formula but purely human instinct which up to today I still find the Auto Gear box is not doing it right . we need to throw in AI technology to perfect this tricks comparing to those standard algorithm with standard MCU ( Most car ecu is not running at < 1Ghz, single core mostly, cant do AI efficiently) . AI is good to mimic human learning instinct like identify free form shape but very bad to be programmed with single core processor.

On and Off, driving auto transmission car from friends , felt  panic and frustrated with losing control on power flow. The auto car just dont have the urgency to pick the right gear to go  and no engine brake with frequent brake tapping.

The Manual stick  fun with 2nd gear red line mapping to around 100 km/h, it is  fun for joining expressway 1st,2nd gear(30-40 to 70km/h)  ,3rd gear to 110km/h,  and skipping 4th gear and slowly engaging 5th gear to drop the speed to cruise at  100km/h.

Stress from work was released on the way driving home with the rhythm of 1,2,3, 5th gear ....4/5 ,4/5 , 5/4//3 over corner to exit expressway..
I dont know how to toe/heel till today..just jab the accelerator slightly before releasing clutch to engage to next gear..indeed today car is smarter to up the rpm slightly when you clutch in to prepare you for next up shift without too much jerking.

After 4.5 years, i changed to another Manual 6 speeder -Subaru WRX STI and driving it for another 8.9 years till this Apr 18.

Boys ,this was even more fun to drive with more gear torque overlap, you hardly trapped in  awkward situation of selecting wrong gear at Turbo lag rpm zone.

The clutch was more gentle, not as heavy but the power delivery was not sacrifice and with the Hill Assist function to ease the upslope balancing act..

I just switched to an Auto low power car 2 moths back.  the 1st 3 weeks experience had been bad for me with inaccurate power flow , the moment you found the gap to overtake, the car did not kick down a gear fast enough for you to build up speed and overtake instead, the gap was closed and gear was not dropped..

Now I overcome it with Manual Mode..forcing the gear to stay per my liking..Why auto gear shifting is still not as smart.. why you need to totally floor the pedal for the ecu to identify urgent gear shift..isn't it a fast jab with fast angular deg change on accelerator signifying the same thing.

If you are always in a hurry and like total control, get a manual stick..!

Edited by Hmanxx
  • Praise 9

I might be tearing a bit reading this. 1st car I got to drive when I passed my license was my dad's manual Lancer GLX. Nowhere on the same level as a WRX, but I could drive it in such a way that it felt like what I imagined one would feel like (having never felt a WRX before). The fun, the level of engagement, the control, I still miss it now that it has been 2 years since that car was scrapped.

Had been driving manual stick for the past 14-15 years and changed to auto 2 months back. This is my long winded limited experience sharing.

After 2.5 years of Auto Transmission car, I got my 1st Manual Car  at 2005, a Subaru WRX with no Auto Option , a relatively heavy clutch car. 

Before driving this car, occasionally i did drive those  1.5/1.6L manual cars  but mostly with no good experience with stalled engine , I was wondering could i handle this car. Convinced myself that practice made perfect .

Exciting moment started from Car collection day,with the car parked inside the show room that i needed to manoeuvre  to drive the car out. Car was parked facing Glass Panel , 1st gear, heavy clutch,not handled with care, car leapfrog and ....taking a deep breath and focus ..luckily nothing bad happened .

Despite the heavy clutch, the car was very forgiving on clutch release, it hardly stall even if  handled by  inexperience driver. The car literally can move off without stepping on gas pedal with condition of releasing  clutch slowly.

The rest were fun experience , Being Manual and relatively high power turbo charged car,  you got precise control on power flow and you paid attention to know the rpm range that gave you good torque to accelerate the car.  By instinct , you learnt and imprint in your head, you mapped out Rpm vs Speed vs Torque on each gear. 

Sound complicated but you learnt it without you knowing it . You dont need to learn complex formula but purely human instinct which up to today I still find the Auto Gear box is not doing it right . we need to throw in AI technology to perfect this tricks comparing to those standard algorithm with standard MCU ( Most car ecu is not running at < 1Ghz, single core mostly, cant do AI efficiently) . AI is good to mimic human learning instinct like identify free form shape but very bad to be programmed with single core processor.

On and Off, driving auto transmission car from friends , felt  panic and frustrated with losing control on power flow. The auto car just dont have the urgency to pick the right gear to go  and no engine brake with frequent brake tapping.

The Manual stick  fun with 2nd gear red line mapping to around 100 km/h, it is  fun for joining expressway 1st,2nd gear(30-40 to 70km/h)  ,3rd gear to 110km/h,  and skipping 4th gear and slowly engaging 5th gear to drop the speed to cruise at  100km/h.

Stress from work was released on the way driving home with the rhythm of 1,2,3, 5th gear ....4/5 ,4/5 , 5/4//3 over corner to exit expressway..
I dont know how to toe/heel till today..just jab the accelerator slightly before releasing clutch to engage to next gear..indeed today car is smarter to up the rpm slightly when you clutch in to prepare you for next up shift without too much jerking.

After 4.5 years, i changed to another Manual 6 speeder -Subaru WRX STI and driving it for another 8.9 years till this Apr 18.

Boys ,this was even more fun to drive with more gear torque overlap, you hardly trapped in  awkward situation of selecting wrong gear at Turbo lag rpm zone.

The clutch was more gentle, not as heavy but the power delivery was not sacrifice and with the Hill Assist function to ease the upslope balancing act..

I just switched to an Auto low power car 2 moths back.  the 1st 3 weeks experience had been bad for me with inaccurate power flow , the moment you found the gap to overtake, the car did not kick down a gear fast enough for you to build up speed and overtake instead, the gap was closed and gear was not dropped..

Now I overcome it with Manual Mode..forcing the gear to stay per my liking..Why auto gear shifting is still not as smart.. why you need to totally floor the pedal for the ecu to identify urgent gear shift..isn't it a fast jab with fast angular deg change on accelerator signifying the same thing.

If you are always in a hurry and like total control, get a manual stick..!

• Praise 2

Have always made myself a promise to get a manual car as my first car as they are getting extinct soon. Fulfilled that promise 2 years ago with a pre-loved car n still loving the manual drive now. Although i do curse a bit during jams but overall given a choice between auto n manual, i will choose manual again.

(edited)

Wow didn't know there is such thread.... seriously it so difficult to find a manual car nowadays... it's sad... 

I had drove manual car for 12yrs... to me jam is not a big problem.... got to learn how to free gear and move haha... 

my first manual car is civic FD, that time you still can find a MT easily... not now... 

I am still driving a MT car now, I am quite sure that i will still find a MT car for my upcoming car... really hate AT feeling..

Edited by Godaikyoko
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Wow didn't know there is such thread.... seriously it so difficult to find a manual car nowadays... it's sad...

I had drove manual car for 12yrs... to me jam is not a big problem.... got to learn how to free gear and move haha...

my first manual car is civic FD, that time you still can find a MT easily... not now...

I am still driving a MT car now, I am quite sure that i will still find a MT car for my upcoming car... really hate AT feeling..

Been driving a manual for over a year now. Personally find it engaging but a pain in jams, esp if jams on an up slope.

Half thinking of changing to an auto (trading it in) for an auto since coe is lower now (but at a big loss) cos no one else have confidence in driving my car so it gets a pain during long road trips. And my car has few gadgets (looking at reverse camera ).

But I just came back from port dickson and had a chance to whack the car on NSHW and find it fun and slightly safer. Slightly safer as in you are more in control of your speed than an auto.

So maybe I will just install an aftermarket reverse camera and heck care that no one else can drive my car.

Edited by Philipkee

Although not driving a WRX or some powerful cars, but am also driving a manual car till now, previous car also manual. Still wanted to get a manual car after this current ride. However, its quite sad, for 1.5/1.6 Sedans, there are almost no manual cars avail (To buy new car). There's Honda Jazz RS Manual but according to KM, lead-time 6 mths. :(

im also driving a manual car now, left 2 more years to go.

by time to renew, my car could have hit 200K Km., dont know if the gearbox and engine still good enough for the next COE period.

it had been fun with this small hatchback although engine CC small, but can zoom around just fine.

FC still decent for a small CC with 12KM/L..

seeing the new cars can do 15-16km/l on the CVT box, i wonder what FC can the same car in Manual box do? will it be same or better?

heard some PI still got bring in some manual option and Hydunai used to have the Accent in Manual and now the Kona.
new Swift sports coming in too with manual box.

Supersonic

im also driving a manual car now, left 2 more years to go.

by time to renew, my car could have hit 200K Km., dont know if the gearbox and engine still good enough for the next COE period.

it had been fun with this small hatchback although engine CC small, but can zoom around just fine.

FC still decent for a small CC with 12KM/L..

seeing the new cars can do 15-16km/l on the CVT box, i wonder what FC can the same car in Manual box do? will it be same or better?

heard some PI still got bring in some manual option and Hydunai used to have the Accent in Manual and now the Kona.

new Swift sports coming in too with manual box.

I think Kah Motors is still selling the manual Honda Jazz too.

I think Kah Motors is still selling the manual Honda Jazz too.

Yes, i checked with them before. But on indent basis. So upon order, will get the car 6mths later.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons. Even more so when the amount of torque that one can gain from 3 onwards is magnificient. Found joy again in driving, cf mundane transport with the auto gearbox.

The porker's gearbox is superb and with the sound coming from the flat 6, is just heaven! angel.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

So, folks out there, would you trade your auto for a manual anytime? What would your considerations be? Fire away

I loved the manual car, but I fell in love with the automatic. I asked myself, do I want to still be driving a manual transmission car until they disappear? I am not quite sure.I listen to fewer people who prefer manual transmission cars and some even talk about their disappearance. The 'stick' may soon disappear from the equipment of the companies, maybe not all though, so the debate still has some air to breathe for now. 

For once, manual car production is cheap. Unfortunately, before you know it, the manual transmission is disappearing even from sports cars. Take the Subaru WRX Automatic for instance, same energy, same boost, and some comfort that you really get used to. While the automatic is a complex and rather expensive mechanism, it's more economical than the manual gearbox and every year they are getting better and better. I never though I would switch but, I did, and I like it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1