Power steering fluid

Forte3737

any of you change this already? or can this fluid last the life of the car?

according to the book, its supposed to last the life of the car

↡ Advertisement

I believe power steering fluid never gets black because there's no "combustion" involved (like in the case of engine oil). But it does get "sheared" down through friction and need replacement.

I believe some manufacturers even recommend replacement every 20,000km. But I'd agree that it doesn't need to be changed that often.

wear & tear of hydraulic parts make the power oil contaminated. Pump has to generate more power for steering that by the time leads to failure of hydraulic system.

power oil changing is not like regular engine oil changing you have to drain out the existing oil and then add new.

Unless contaminated (colour changes may be due to wear and age contaminating the fluid, not serious, but unsightly)

In July I had the steering and brake fluid flushed & replaced cos I noticed both the fluids turned black.

I believe power steering fluid never gets black because there's no "combustion" involved (like in the case of engine oil). But it does get "sheared" down through friction and need replacement.

I believe some manufacturers even recommend replacement every 20,000km. But I'd agree that it doesn't need to be changed that often.

No, it will still turn black over time as fluid breaks down and wear from the pump, gears etc.

My already turn black but have not change it yet. I think my PS is leaking slightly as well. Time to fix it......

Btw, gearbox oil also turn dark (not fully black) after prolong usage even though there is no combustion.

hi there

I flush my power steering fluid every 10K. Apparently it might help prolong the lifespan of the pump...It's cheap so no harm trying!

overkill liao :huh:

I changed mine at 80k km together wh my brake fluid. The old ps fluid came out all frothy n slightly brownish.

Its just to help e pump n seals last longer.

• Praise 1

hi there

I flush my power steering fluid every 10K. Apparently it might help prolong the lifespan of the pump...It's cheap so no harm trying!

Its quite messy to flush n replace e ps fluid. And i also think to do it EVERY 10k km is overkill.

Even my ATF is not flushed that often n e autobox is much easier to get damaged by old atf n much more expensive to repair or replace.

Can used beyond COE expiry. More chances for contamination/air lock with replenishing

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone,

I feel my steering wheel getting heavier.

Is it an indication to change the steering fluid?

Anyway to lighten the steering?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement