Nuclear Power

Happily1986

Referendum  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a referendum should be called?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care at all.

Saw from today's headlines that our LEEder is already readying the necessary prerequisites for building a nuclear power plant in lieu of a decision. Given that a nuclear power station is something that has huge huge ramifications, e.g. socio-political and environmental impact, do you think that the general public should be consulted or even be involved in the decision making process.

I personally think that having a nuclear power station in our own backyard is does not pale in comparison in terms of implications as did the decision taken by old man to join Malaysia back in 1963. Do you think we should have a referendum for this?

↡ Advertisement

Build it in pulau tekong , not is SG :D

After the Chernobyl incident, the fallout quickly spread to the entire continental Europe. If there is such an incident, the entire south east asian region could kana let alone mainland SG.

Saw from today's headlines that our LEEder is already readying the necessary prerequisites for building a nuclear power plant in lieu of a decision. Given that a nuclear power station is something that has huge huge ramifications, e.g. socio-political and environmental impact, do you think that the general public should be consulted or even be involved in the decision making process.

I personally think that having a nuclear power station in our own backyard is does not pale in comparison in terms of implications as did the decision taken by old man to join Malaysia back in 1963. Do you think we should have a referendum for this?

First thing that comes to my mind is where is it going to reside?

How to dispose radioactive waste? To me building it is to living backwards.... All the years of talking green and saving gaia is just b-------t.

with safer plants nowdays, looking at the 4th gen ones, why not?

but only if employees of the plant are singaporeans.

I am of the impression that most countries which are existing operators are looking into decommissioning their nuclear powerplant after their useful lifespans. With the new emphasis on cradle to grave LCA (life cycle assessment), nuclear power plants are extremely harmful to the environment. Notably, uranium mines become permanently non-usable land. How about waste disposal?

if you tell me, hey we are going to build a sustainable nuclear fusion plant then i think maybe it is plausible. I am of the impression that it is the nuclear fusion process that produces the troublesome radioactive atoms. it is really a step backwards if you ask me when many countries and companies are trying to explore alternative sources of energies for the future.

First thing that comes to my mind is where is it going to reside?

How to dispose radioactive waste? To me building it is to living backwards.... All the years of talking green and saving gaia is just b-------t.

err.... isn't nuclear energy a green solution ?

err.... isn't nuclear energy a green solution ?

Nuclear energy can be harvested by two processes, nuclear fusion and nuclear fission. Nuclear fusion is what is happening in the Sun and the rest of the stars in the skies. This process does not produce dangerous read unstable radioisotopes which is dangerous to life. However this is very unstable and i believe we have yet to arrive at the knowledge of manipulating nuclear fusion safely at the scale whereby we can harvest energy.

Nuclear fission is what we are doing now at all the nuclear power stations. We take highly energetic protons and throw them at massive isotopes e.g. U-235 and crack them up like goli (marbles). This process leads to a runaway reaction which is carefully stoked and managed so that the sustained fission process eventually releases energy that can be harvested. But the depleted fuel stocks consists of radioisotopes which continually decay, releasing ionising radiation that is harmful.

it is not green because firstly when you mine for Uranium 235 or other nuclear fuels, the mines become extremely toxic environments and also, in terms of disposal, we are still unable to completely nullify the toxic effects of the radioisotopes.

Remember the ammo used by the US Army in their M1A1/M1A2 Abrams tank, they claim to use depleted uranium i.e. lead as the armour piercing component. Supposedly safe. But heck, in the end, still got studies showing some tankies kana radiation side effects.

Singapore roadmap is not to build a Nuclear plant at our doorsteps lah.

They will buy from Indonesia, once they build, for the next 20 yrs.

But we have to have all the nuclear technical expertise in our backyard to have the necessary IP used as supportive role to Indo.

Watch for it, NTU or Poly will have Nuclear Physics studies soon...

I will ask my son choose this career path...

But we have to have all the nuclear technical expertise in our backyard to have the necessary IP used as supportive role to Indo.

if they announce it now, they have already started the research 10 years ago, they don't do things last minutes -_-

i'm already setting up lead doors, radioactive meters and suits business

if they announce it now, they have already started the research 10 years ago, they don't do things last minutes -_-

Not surprising. Nuclear waste is Point of Pollution. Fossil Fuel is pollutes everywhere.

SG won't build a plant like I said. Its good strategy too, since the longer you wait, the safer it will become.

It makes good sense as long as the waste is store securely. SG will definitely provide expertise on this area to Indon. We have to produce and retain the BRAINS.

Agree that we should "harvest" energy from Sun and improved current solar technology rather than looking at Nuclear.

Actually, if every single building Rooftop has Greenery, SG can reduce the temp of environment by 2 degrees C. If all equip with Solar Panels, can reduce household energy costs quite dramatically.

Energy consumption in SG is a disease. Same as the Tax they collect from Ciggarettes.

↡ Advertisement