Need advice on Langkawi Trip

Freeman

18 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Car rental in msia is cheap. When i go to Penang, usually i would rent a car there to get around. And wanted to rent manual car but too bad no manual car. So far i rented perodua cars, cheap and good. Lol.

Surprisingly you find vios steering feel is poor? Thought Toyota cars usually drive is quite ok? 

Toyota car has one of the worst steering feel among Japanese car.

Very few has good steering feel. 

Edited by Tohto

11 minutes ago, Tohto said:

OK lah. I only traveled up to 90-95 kph on the highway with no cars when going back on Saturday am. Don't even dare to go past 100 cos dark and raining. And their highway is just the arterial trunk roads type where the motorcycles can enter from the side. 

Most of the time is just 70-80 max. 

I was stuck behind some rubbish truck near the cable car/ritz Carlton  on a very winding coastal hill road which sucked. Driving at 30kph for 8-10 mins. 

• Praise 1

I was driving to the cable car. Suddenly on a two way road, was told to stop by police motorcycle who was coming the other way. 

Wound down window was wondering what was going on. He Spoke to me in Malay. I do the blur tourist act. I was thinking did I drive on wrong side of road? He kept saying something but I dunno whats going on. I thought got some royal family or what coming opposite way so need to stop. 

Then he gave up and continued heading his way. I dunno what's going on and slowly drove slowly away. Then another uniformed rider came along. Stopped me again. Keep pointing to road side. In rear mirror I could see another malaysian car going onto the grass instructed by the earlier outrider. So I did the same. I thought got some construction vehicle.

Haha turned out to be two malaysian army APCs. 

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

This one i agreed...my Camry Hybrid..cannot match my Mazda 6 2.5..it is a far cry.

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

This one i agreed...my Camry Hybrid..cannot match my Mazda 6 2.5..it is a far cry.

The camry tnga platform rigidity is pretty good though. I drove it in some forest tracks really like WRC rally stage. 

Mz6 so far is the best Japanese car in terms of steering feel. 

• Praise 3

33 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Toyota cars are famous for light steering, and you can feel the car floating during high speed de. Think now toyota cars steering should be better than last era toyota?

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

mahathir's fault, never take care of his own hometown [mad]  [laugh]

I was pretty appalled that there isn't even a proper supermarket like Tesco or Aeon etc in the center of the biggest town on the island. 

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Toyota cars are famous for light steering, and you can feel the car floating during high speed de. Think now toyota cars steering should be better than last era toyota?

Still very light lah..

• Haha! 1

Eagle Square. Beside Kuah Jetty. Pretty impressive statue. 

Too bad the park outside/nearby is terribly maintained as usual. Brackish water in ponds. Half dirt half grass. 

IMG20221121180112_VmVK6Bu12t.jpeg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Langkawi wildlife park. Very good for the kids. Cheap tickets. Feed is pretty cheap. 

We were the first visitors of the day. Lots of different animals to feed. Quite a lot of different animals also. Early part of the day, they are still hungry so keep following you. 

There's a rabbit enclosure with a lot of rabbits. My son who loves rabbits spent 20 mins feeding them. 

This can be a wet weather program as about 60-70% of the areas are sheltered. 

IMG20221122095538_fZqpJZoD9h.jpeg

IMG20221122093357_LeS4E4Yu3D.jpeg

IMG20221122093732_BSrxKLy93s.jpeg

IMG20221122102352_5hBBZm7m2V.jpeg

IMG20221122101629_dJA2IL7E7Q.jpeg

IMG20221122101126_JDrwLxJO75.jpeg

IMG20221122102923_QMVwx2Mn8F.jpeg

IMG20221122103002_DKmZsi2e3g.jpeg

IMG20221122110453_8WiyUYTW1k.jpeg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

Car rental in msia is cheap. When i go to Penang, usually i would rent a car there to get around. And wanted to rent manual car but too bad no manual car. So far i rented perodua cars, cheap and good. Lol.

Surprisingly you find vios steering feel is poor? Thought Toyota cars usually drive is quite ok? 

Same, get the proton or perodua. Nice to drive around. What's not so nice is the traffic. Need to avoid rush hours and after work hours the mall carpark can be very full. If you can drive in penang, you can drive anywhere [laugh]

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Klook is the best way to get tickets for everything in langkawi. They have this langkawi pass which covers up to 4 destinations/activities.

Also got sunset cruise (more for adults etc), Klim mangrove tour which i didn't go for. 

I did Underwater world, SkyCab (cable car), Wildlife Park and Island hopping. All cheap and good experiences. Spent only about $180 SGD for 2A2C. Damn cheap compared to other countries man. Even if their underwater world is bit old, but still pretty ok lah for like what 8-10 dollars per pax.

Langkawi is super good for families i feel. Enough things to see/entertain young kids. My kids really liked it. 

Screenshot_2022-12-02-14-38-27-90_42b26ec887580784f3590c892a435777.jpg

I forgot to mention. The good thing about this pass is that u can pay for it first but reserve the dates for each activity separately. 

So u can reserve your activities on the day before while u are already in Langkawi and check AccuWeather. Find tomorrow's forecast and its generally accurate.

If no major rain then can go the cable car and island hopping. Esp Island hopping needs good weather otherwise u might be pretty miserable. Island hopping the local tour company will whatsapp u in the evening before. So best is to confirm earlier in the day. 

Very flexible and u can choose the ideal day to go for those activities. 

I had one day rain out and one morning had rain, during my time there. 

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Same, get the proton or perodua. Nice to drive around. What's not so nice is the traffic. Need to avoid rush hours and after work hours the mall carpark can be very full. If you can drive in penang, you can drive anywhere [laugh]

No offence to people who hail from penang.

If u like to eat malaysian street food, I guess can go there.

But penang as a destination is nothing to see/do. 

I went there as a child, and even sua ku me (first time my family ever took an aeroplane) know it's chui then. 

At least go genting, still got mountain resort feel. 

My friend stay like their most luxury hotel in penang, also say the place is chui as a destination. 

• Haha! 3

Underwater world. Ideal Wet weather program. 

Can park at the building itself for 3 ringgit cos street parking along the Pantai cenang stretch there needs coupons. 

These giant groupers are damn massive. 

Most of the other fish or interesting stuff I captured as videos. 

IMG20221123114316_79MxZHEq9i.jpeg

IMG20221123114735_x3qysETb5q.jpeg

IMG20221123113235_PzkhzHUe9c.jpeg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

No offence to people who hail from penang.

If u like to eat malaysian street food, I guess can go there.

But penang as a destination is nothing to see/do. 

I went there as a child, and even sua ku me (first time my family ever took an aeroplane) know it's chui then. 

At least go genting, still got mountain resort feel. 

My friend stay like their most luxury hotel in penang, also say the place is chui as a destination. 

Where in Malaysia is not chui? Before long the newly built theme park of genting will be chui. Same with resort world. Malaysian mentality of maintenance. 

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Where in Malaysia is not chui? Before long the newly built theme park of genting will be chui. Same with resort world. Malaysian mentality of maintenance. 

Yes. That's why only international chains have some standards. Like the Westin Langkawi has been around for many years but it's well maintained. 

But outside the resort it's not great. The cable car and the wildlife park is ok. 

Otherwise Langkawi is a beautiful place. Especially the islands and the when u go up the cable car. The top station and the Skybridge is nice. Mostly untouched around there. 

Another place I don't mind going would be Redang. It was quite nice when I went in 2005. Wondering if still can see corals or snorkel there in the marine park (let my kids see). I don't really know any other places where u can snorkel in safety. The Thailand ones are dangerous. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2