Need advice on Langkawi Trip

Freeman

Island hopping. Depart from jetty near Pantai cenang. Can drive yourself there and meet your operator at jetty. 

The offshore beach they bring you to. Not the best beach in the world for swimming or water activities but kids had fun picking up seashells. Some trees had caterpillars hanging off silk threads being blown around in the wind. So that was dangerous. Gave them a wide berth. 

No pictures of the pregnant lady formation and the sacred lake in the middle which u can float around in with rented lifevests.

The speedboat rides were the kids most favorite thing in the trip. It's very fun. Everyone was enjoying it since weather is good. 

There is jetski tours to the same spots that u can do like what Freeder did. Think they start around 200 sgd or 800-900+ ringgit. If you can afford it, would be a memorable  experience. But the commoner version is quite good also lah (suitable for young and old). 

IMG20221124091455_9WnCAtFi4G.jpeg

IMG20221124095632_nos4WJJs4r.jpeg

IMG20221124090806_idX2HTxv2C.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Langkawi sky cab. 

Got a middle station and top station. Then top station can go down to sky bridge which is a 300+ steps down and up again. If u don't want to climb, u have to pay extra for sky tram which is a small tram elevator going down to the Skybridge. 

I waited like 30 mins to go down via the sky tram. Then got queue to go back up to so we climbed up so not to waste time queuing. It's pretty taxing for maybe 5-8 mins since the hardest part can't really stop easily. I would say equivalent of climbing maybe 12-13 storeys at a go. Dunno how those overweight maciks do it. 

My left knee is bit wonky and I was bit limping at the end. Lucky the last set of steps are regular steps and not the mountain concrete steps with different heights. 

Views are good. I can't think of many places in Asia with such a view (without doing hiking). 

IMG20221125102951_c9AgSS0p4c.jpeg

IMG20221125105349_EfvY0eRB1M.jpeg

IMG20221125113652_LMgA4lHZ2W.jpeg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

2 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Same, get the proton or perodua. Nice to drive around. What's not so nice is the traffic. Need to avoid rush hours and after work hours the mall carpark can be very full. If you can drive in penang, you can drive anywhere [laugh]

Actually during rush hours, no matter which countries also very jam de. Lol. Penang traffic most roads are single direction, so a bit not easy if you missed any exit if i remember correctly. 

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I forgot to mention. The good thing about this pass is that u can pay for it first but reserve the dates for each activity separately. 

So u can reserve your activities on the day before while u are already in Langkawi and check AccuWeather. Find tomorrow's forecast and its generally accurate.

If no major rain then can go the cable car and island hopping. Esp Island hopping needs good weather otherwise u might be pretty miserable. Island hopping the local tour company will whatsapp u in the evening before. So best is to confirm earlier in the day. 

Very flexible and u can choose the ideal day to go for those activities. 

I had one day rain out and one morning had rain, during my time there. 

What it means by island hopping ah? Bring you go where?

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

No offence to people who hail from penang.

If u like to eat malaysian street food, I guess can go there.

But penang as a destination is nothing to see/do. 

I went there as a child, and even sua ku me (first time my family ever took an aeroplane) know it's chui then. 

At least go genting, still got mountain resort feel. 

My friend stay like their most luxury hotel in penang, also say the place is chui as a destination. 

Go Penang basically is to relax and eat, not in plan to do much thing there. 😂 Penang also have mountain and beach to walk walk la.

51 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Yes. That's why only international chains have some standards. Like the Westin Langkawi has been around for many years but it's well maintained. 

But outside the resort it's not great. The cable car and the wildlife park is ok. 

Otherwise Langkawi is a beautiful place. Especially the islands and the when u go up the cable car. The top station and the Skybridge is nice. Mostly untouched around there. 

Another place I don't mind going would be Redang. It was quite nice when I went in 2005. Wondering if still can see corals or snorkel there in the marine park (let my kids see). I don't really know any other places where u can snorkel in safety. The Thailand ones are dangerous. 

Hearsay many years ago that Redang already no more nice liao.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

No offence to people who hail from penang.

If u like to eat malaysian street food, I guess can go there.

But penang as a destination is nothing to see/do. 

I went there as a child, and even sua ku me (first time my family ever took an aeroplane) know it's chui then. 

At least go genting, still got mountain resort feel. 

My friend stay like their most luxury hotel in penang, also say the place is chui as a destination. 

so far this year i've been to Penang 4 or 5 times. No kidding 

it's a nice layover place before going further north to Thai. I sometimes stop over on my back south too. 

But you are right - there's not much touristy things to do there except queue up at popular food stalls. 

There's actually a water theme park at Telok Bahang called Escape Penang but i've not been inside.  https://goo.gl/maps/yQ4VpLfZYBuj1jaa6

i also go Penang a few times each year during their durian season. 

if i have time, i also go to a dog cafe in Georgetown ( https://goo.gl/maps/PWxztzopRLFt2PPi7 ). It's walking distance from my usual hotels in Penang. Anyway need to walk off all the food consumed. 😄

For drivers, the road at Balik Pulau is nice to drive. But preferably without passengers - they would puke. 

There's also a goat farm on the flats of Balik Pulau. Run by a friendly family. Nice stop while driving the Balik Pulau area. But it's the kind of place one goes just once. Or once every couple of years unless the kids really love it. 

• Praise 4

7 hours ago, Shibadog said:

it's a nice layover place before going further north to Thai. I sometimes stop over on my back south too. 

But you are right - there's not much touristy things to do there except queue up at popular food stalls. 

There's actually a water theme park at Telok Bahang called Escape Penang but i've not been inside.  https://goo.gl/maps/yQ4VpLfZYBuj1jaa6

if i have time, i also go to a dog cafe in Georgetown ( https://goo.gl/maps/PWxztzopRLFt2PPi7 ). It's walking distance from my usual hotels in Penang. Anyway need to walk off all the food consumed. 😄

For drivers, the road at Balik Pulau is nice to drive. But preferably without passengers - they would puke. 

There's also a goat farm on the flats of Balik Pulau. Run by a friendly family. Nice stop while driving the Balik Pulau area. But it's the kind of place one goes just once. Or once every couple of years unless the kids really love it. 

I guess it's different objectives to traveling. 

You really like road trips and exploring. And willing to stop by or drive up for durian or the experience of going durian farm during durian season. Myself, I can don't eat durian for the rest of my life and be totally fine. 

I guess for most it's about family and getaway type of experience. For some it's really to unwind. 

Some people like to go back repeatedly to one city. Like eat at different places, just go and enjoy the vibe of a city. 

Some people like me, want novelty of doing the usual touristy stuff. Seeing the highlight reel of a place/region. 

I like animal cafes also. Really enjoyed being at dog and cat cafes in seoul. But since I've a dog now, not so into dog cafes anymore. 

I am considering going Khao yai next year. But bit worried about driving in Thailand. Lol. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Shibadog said:

Ya, go to Penang can also go to others nearby places. Like Thai, Ipoh, Langkawi or even cameron highlands. And then go back to Penang again to relax relax. Lol. Many years ago i went to Penang and rented a car to drive to Ipoh and cameron highlands, not that far if compared driving from other parts of msia.

Balik Pulau indeed a nice drive. I drove up there before and never know Penang has such a nice place. Lol.

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1