Ecu remapping

Minikong

The standard A/F ratio that comes from factory is 10.5:1...so 11:1 already leaner a bit.

er, r we mixing up AFR & CR??? 10.5:1, 11:1 sounded like CR & not AFR

Edited by Fuelsaver

Neutral Newbie

I just installed a piggy back peformance module from MKB to increase HP from current 204 to 241. I am driving a MB C250 Coupe with 1.8L Turbo 4 inline engine. The increase in power could be significantly felt and I think the piggy back approach is good as it does not have to alter the ECU settings wihich can void car warranty.

Neutral Newbie

ok, so after everything, is there a reliable OBD tuning place that can do ECU remaps? After searching high and low I'm still lost.. haha sorry!

Neutral Newbie

Hi...with regards to your post..if you provide me with:-

(i) Make

(ii) Model

(iii) Year

(iv) Mileage

(v) Previous Modifications done

I will definitely be able to advise you further Thnks!

Thats because the tuner (generally in Singapore as well) do not bother to tune the STFT and LTFT [sweatdrop]

It is alot of work but it provides consistent performance day in, day out regardless of ambient temps [sly]

Extremely few people do this simply because why bother with it when they take advantage of customers' limited knowledge in ecu remapping. They won't know.... being shortchanged that is

Hi Bro, mind sharing wif us what's STFT and LTFT?

Clutched

Hi i'm a noob in ECU stuff... so some questions for the pro here

Q1: What is the purpose of ECU remapping ??

Q2: Can any car do that??

Q3: How much??

Q4: Will they be able to detect when during inspection??

Twincharged

Hi i'm a noob in ECU stuff... so some questions for the pro here

Q1: What is the purpose of ECU remapping ??

Q2: Can any car do that??

Q3: How much??

Q4: Will they be able to detect when during inspection??

What car you driving.?Some cars very little power hike,esp N/A. engines,Re-mapping is change the factory fuel maps to a better ones,usually 'newer' cars can be done,costs from $1k-$4K,inspection no problem,but may 'void' your warranty if detected by your agent.

Supercharged

any reviews on ecu remapping?

was told it would make the car even more efficiency and with increase of torque.

if car is under warranty of 5 years, still recommended?

will a flat battery scenario affect the remapped ecu in any way?

23 minutes ago, Kurty said:

was told it would make the car even more efficiency and with increase of torque.

If so good why the car maker never do it or provide such service?

Google and do some reading lo.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
26 minutes ago, Kurty said:

If really want to do ecu tuning, then go for a reputable tuner like ST powered or Dynotecnica. Research first before you go for the tune.

Discuss with your tuner on what is your objective of the tune first. You wanna run leaner and fuel economy? Or you wanna it to stay high rev all the time. It will definitely make your car run better. A stock car usually needs to pass stringent homologation test, so they will downplay the engine performance in order to have passed the test. 

Car engine is only SS BB - Squeeze, Suck, Bang, Blow. So if the car computer can calibrate to the most optimal level for the engine, it will help in the performance.

If your car is under warranty, then better not. Usually, they will void the warranty once you have change the ECU settings.

A flat battery won't disrupt the ECU configuration. ECU is like a computer's motherboard.

• Praise 2

In simple terms, if you are tuning for the engine to output more power part of the power is heat. Excess heat is the con of many things for an engine.

NA engine honestly cant get much out of tuning if there's no hardware changes. TC engine has potential to tune for more power but usually factory settings will limit the boost pressure. To bypass the settings there are many unknowns on usability and reliability.

Why car dealer will void your warranty it's simply becos after you tune it reliability wise is out the window. They have to protect themselves too. You want more power you also get excess heat, carbon build up and your engine's reliability suffers. It's at your own risk. So dont comprain if your engine breaks down.

• Praise 3

55 minutes ago, Kurty said:

Is it turbo? If not don't bother with tuning. 

• Praise 3

Supercharged

i see, thank you.

as the reviews are kinda mixed, some are reclaiming the FC is better after remapped. 😀

which i'm kinda keen of, not really into power.

Just efficient, yeah.. its a N.A

Turbo car tends to give more bang for the buck when tuning (i.e. boost, AFR, ignition timings) but like Watwheels mentioned, heat is always an issue if you are just increasing boost and do nothing else to dissipate the increased heat. If you want to have a lasting car, then you need to do up the cooling system + piping works, all these will also cost some money. Big turbo, up boost, there will be sudden excess strain to the drivetrain when the torque kicks in. 

NA has some good points as well. Example, all-motor K20a, built and tuned properly, can be a joy to drive when you are in the VTEC zone. Progressive power, can sustain high revs for much longer period and of course, doesn't run as hot as a highly boosted car. However, upgrading the cooling system is always a good approach to keep any engine healthy, even non-turbo. 

Unless the car comes stock with a lot of "potential", I don't think will gain much with tuning alone. Tuning to optimize the AFR table according to your driving pattern...maybe save a few litres a month. Probably better to control the right foot, draft on 2nd lane, do engine braking, getting lighter rims, adjust tyre pressure...etc, for better FC.  

Internal Moderator
33 minutes ago, Kurty said:

i see, thank you.

as the reviews are kinda mixed, some are reclaiming the FC is better after remapped. 😀

which i'm kinda keen of, not really into power.

Just efficient, yeah.. its a N.A

N.A car if you want better fuel economy you can consider a throttle control.

https://www.mycarforum.com/marketplace/info-146434/

It help to control your throttle respond. Or you train your right leg to be more lean lor. hahah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1