Types Of Car Odor Remover : Fact Or Myth?

Noel

Hi all,

With more advance ionizers and other car odor removal gadgets available in the market, i do wonder if those traditional ones are still in use such as;

1. Pandan Leaves And Bread (Heard that it will attract pests)

2. Rolls Of Toilet Paper / Charcoal (Some say that your car might catch fire if it was parked directly under the sun, esp for owners who do not drive often such as OPC cars)

3. Turn on the car heater with your windows down (There are claims saying it will spoil your air-con faster)

Are these claims fact or myth? :huh:

Which one is better? The advance gadgets, the traditional methods or both? [grouphug]

Personally, i use both charcoal gels/blocks and ionizers to neutralise the smell after a Sunday affair from the market. [:)]

Your opinions and views.

Thanks.

Cheers! [;)]

↡ Advertisement

I don't see how toilet paper could work, and I've never heard it mentioned before, but I can vouch for charcoal and its variants.

For pandan leaves, it leaves a smell of its own. more to deter cockroaches, so I heard, but I never tried.

Another mention is ground coffee.

The key is not to eat in the car, and to air out the car after transporting strong smelling stuff. I personally avoid da-baoing cooked food in the car for this reason. When I park in unsheltered lot at workplace, I will also wind down the windows a crack (i got visors) to allow heat to escape, and also for ventilation to minimise the smell. My ride has very little smell (i ask my passengers to test for me too) despite more than 4 years and 60000km (yeah, previous owner didn't use it much).

my previous ride 90k kms and 4 plus years now driven by my sis, stinks of stale car "air freshener". She uses ambi pur which will stay in the aircon system and smell quite bad after awhile.. ard 80 plus k when I was still driving it, no such issues.

oh yes, I also use activated carbon gel blocks like u do. i buy from daiso!

Neutral Newbie

Just bought this air purifier from caltex. The name is NewFresh.

Basically it uses granular carbon to filter the air with the help of a fan.

Pretty effective in my opinion as it removes tobacco scent in my car after merely 15min of usage.

http://www.newfresh.com.sg/site/coral.html

This is a locally developed product. Heard can even remove durian odour too.

Got it at $39.

Can use Thanks points to redeem too! Cheers!

Edited by Sirex

oh. can i ask if you all know what can remove the ambi pure air refreshener smell?

Max heat with blowers at max speed for a 20 minutes drive, repeat if necessary. Smell will be gone forever. It always work for me.

Pandan leave is toally useless on cockroaches, from my 1 week experiment. Baygon is far more effective, gas them and they shall not return.

usually three options.

1) ionizer.

2) charcoal.

3) pandan leaves.

ionizer and charcoal are odourless which i like it.

pandan leaves will have a very strong smell, i don't like.

other than that are car perfumes.

but it can only solve the odour temporary.

one more better way is to open all your doors during a hot & sunny day.

let the moisture from your car to evaporate.

hope it helps. =p

Neutral Newbie

Charcoal does work. Its used in many products as an odour remover. Air ionizer also works to remove smell.

Turning on the heater is to dry up the aircon coil. If its wet all the time, it will have a bad smell just like your house aircon. Actually its a good practice to dry the coil (don't need heater just off the compressor and let aircon blow out normal air) after you have used it. Just for the last 5-10min of your journey. It keeps the coil dry and keep the smell away. It also makes the coil last longer. Coil leaks arieses from corrosion due to water (Water + Aluminium = corrosion).

However, have to take note of one thing. Charcoal and air ionizer only removes the smell, it does not get rid of the source of smell. Thus a better method would be to remove the smell from its source Eg. carpet and roof. All the fibers on these places trap dirt, oil (esp. from cigarette) etc..... Thus if you don't clean them, the smell will always be there.

Another mention is ground coffee.

Interesting. Ground coffee. Any reasons why it can remove the odor in our car? [:)]

Just bought this air purifier from caltex. The name is NewFresh.

Basically it uses granular carbon to filter the air with the help of a fan.

Pretty effective in my opinion as it removes tobacco scent in my car after merely 15min of usage.

http://www.newfresh.com.sg/site/coral.html

This is a locally developed product. Heard can even remove durian odour too.

Got it at $39.

Can use Thanks points to redeem too! Cheers!

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps can give it a try too. [;)]

charcoal works. get the biggest container from daiso.

er, as for toilet paper. even the papers on their own kinda smell like s--t already.

edit: charcoal is not the ji-tie ji-tie one for BBQ one hor.

and the 'real thing' works better if u put in car and let them bake under the sun. any s--t smell should be gone.

Edited by Karebu

Hi All,

I am also using charcoal from diaso, those circular kind about 5cm in diameter. I place one under the driver's seat and one on the dashboard and they seem to work quite well.

May I ask how long is it before they need to be replaced? Currently those 2 pieces in my car has been there for about 5 months.

Thanks.

GruneMedizin: You may need to..

1) Flush air-con and change filter.

2) Go for car cabin sanitizing treatment (Clean all fabric and seats).

3) Get an air ionizer too. It helps.