SIA pulls 3 A380s out of service

1fast1

From http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/11/09/...agebusinessnews

Associated Press

Singapore Airlines pulls 3 A380s due to engines

By KRISTEN GELINEAU , 11.09.10, 11:41 PM EST

SYDNEY --

Singapore Airlines pulled three of its A380 superjumbos from service Wednesday after tests uncovered problems with the planes' Rolls-Royce engines less than a week after an engine on a Qantas A380 exploded shortly after take-off.

Tests revealed oil stains in three engines on three of the airline's A380s, Singapore Airlines said in a statement. The planes, in Melbourne, Sydney and London, will be flown to Singapore, where they'll be fitted with new engines, the airline said.

"We apologise to our customers for flight disruptions that may result and we seek their understanding," airline spokesman Nicholas Ionides said in a statement.

Last week, Qantas grounded its fleet of A380s - the world's newest and largest airliner - after one of the aircraft's Rolls-Royce engines burst during a flight from Singapore to Sydney. The explosion showered debris over Indonesia's Batam island. The plane, carrying 466 people, made a safe emergency landing in Singapore.

On Monday, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said tests had uncovered oil leaks in the turbine area of three engines on three different A380s. All six of the Australian airline's A380s remained grounded Wednesday.

London-based Rolls-Royce, an aerospace, power systems and defense company that is separate from the manufacturer of Rolls-Royce cars, had recommended a series of checks for the Trent 900 engines that are used in the A380s operated by Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Germany's Lufthansa.

Singapore Airlines grounded its entire fleet of 11 A380s following last Thursday's engine explosion on Qantas. After initial checks, Singapore returned those to service on Friday. However, on Wednesday, based on fresh analysis of the tests, Singapore took three of its A380s out of service again, due to oil stain results.

Singapore's eight other A380s, also flying with Trent 900 engines, remain in service.

Bryony Duncan-Smith, a Sydney-based spokeswoman for Singapore Airlines, said she did not know whether the oil staining found in the Singapore engines was similar to the oil leaks found on the Qantas planes.

The affected engines will all be replaced with Trent 900s, Duncan-Smith said. The airline does not know how long that will take, she said.

Rolls-Royce did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment Wednesday. On Monday, it issued a statement saying it had made progress in understanding what caused the Qantas engine to burst, but offered no details on what that cause might be.

Joyce said Monday that Qantas was focusing its investigation on the oil leaks, which he said were abnormal and should not be occurring on new engines.

Singapore said the engine changes don't affect its eight other A380s at this point.

The Qantas and Singapore incidents are not the first problems Rolls-Royce have faced with its engines. In September 2009, a Singapore Airlines A380 was forced to return to Paris mid-flight after an engine malfunction. Last August, a Lufthansa crew shut down one of its engines as a precaution before landing in Frankfurt after receiving confusing information on a cockpit indicator.

On Tuesday, the European Aviation Safety Agency said it was closely monitoring the probe into the Qantas incident. The agency issued orders twice this year advising airlines about extra inspections or repairs needed for the Trent 900s.

A380s flown by Emirates and Air France are instead kitted out by the Engine Alliance, a 50/50 joint venture between GE Aircraft Engines and Pratt & Whitney.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I've always been uncomfortable in A380s - they simply don't seem very stable, especially in turbulence. Now with the engine faults, I have no confidence at all.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

hi there,

Kindly refrain from creating multiple thread of the same topic.

i think it is either TS network problem but i also find it take sometime to reload the page in mcf :huh:, so if you are not sure and click a few time... end up with multiple posting!

hi there,

Hi Gadgeter,

Not to turn this into a thing about network - but yeah, I find that sometimes when using Firefox I will end up with accidental multi postings....not sure if it is a "come an go" glitch with the browser or some sort of network problem also...

To get back on topic, I was actually pleased to hear the news.

After Qantas found problems in three engines, and SQ couldn't find any problems. I was like, *how come*? Why the Qantas engines so much less reliable than SQ - did SQ check properly or not?

So today's news brings the experience of the two airlines back into the same sphere of happenings, which is kinda reassuring in a way....

To get back on topic, I was actually pleased to hear the news.

After Qantas found problems in three engines, and SQ couldn't find any problems. I was like, *how come*? Why the Qantas engines so much less reliable than SQ - did SQ check properly or not?

So today's news brings the experience of the two airlines back into the same sphere of happenings, which is kinda reassuring in a way....

which means those planes were flying around the last few days with questionable engines too. [shakehead]

How come Shitty time didn't report the alleged cabin crew mutiny and refuse to fly?

quote: "The latest concerns emerged today after one of Singapore's big jets was grounded at Heathrow airport following an alleged mutiny.

Heraldsun.com.au was told the crew refused to fly the jet which was due to take-off at 8.30am (AEDT) for Singapore after oil was found in one of the jet's turbines, the same problem that was detected at the weekend on three engines that were removed from Qantas jets.

Singapore Airlines have denied that a refusal to fly was behind the aircraft's grounding".

Full article here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/si...l-1225950837497

Edited by Trex101

crew mutiny? u think singaporean workers so daring? we r not protected by union also...if they do it, they can be blacklisted la...and also..not difficult to find replacement for crews..so many want the job.

crew mutiny? u think singaporean workers so daring? we r not protected by union also...if they do it, they can be blacklisted la...and also..not difficult to find replacement for crews..so many want the job.

Well perhaps they are not Singaporean, but PR or employment pass? but then, if MM hears about it he will probably revoke their passes for attempting to sabotage the national icon

A380 is already has a lot of problems from the start.

Even the TV shows how they design wrong landing gear system that is stuck when it is operated because of wrong design spec.

So engine problem is not a surprise with the way they design the things.

hi there,

Hi - I didn't mean to, honest. :D Must have been a glitch, I didn't even click multiple times on anything; I'm using Chrome.

Could you please delete the other threads and merge the posts here, if it's not too much trouble? Thanks a lot! [:)]

EDIT - can't find the other threads, have they already been deleted?

Edited by Turboflat4

Ok. I am triply sure you do not like the A380. [:p]

If I'd done it on purpose, that would've been cool. 3 Airbuses grounded, 3 threads kpkb about it. [cool]

If I'd done it on purpose, that would've been cool. 3 Airbuses grounded, 3 threads kpkb about it. [cool]

And three ways for me to waste time at work?

How come Shitty time didn't report the alleged cabin crew mutiny and refuse to fly?

"Mutiny" is a rather too dramatic term to use.

It's an acceptable occurrence in airlines that the Captain may refuse to accept the aircraft if he has any reason or belief that there is an unsafe situation. Even if the manuals and operational procedures allow flight, the Captain may refuse, citing overriding safety reasons. This is normal in airlines operational environment, not mutiny.

Example: Aircraft is allowed to fly without certain automated flight systems being operational, but for a certain lengthy flight, the Captain may cite crew fatigue (without the benefit of automation) affecting safety.

Example: Pilot seat position adjustment is faulty or not working. Captain may decide that his seat is stuck in an unsuitable position for safe flight. Even with cushions to prop his seating position, he may refuse to accept the aircraft.

Of course, in such situations the Captain will have to stick his head out, so to speak - because he will need to answer for it later. If his reasons don't stand scrutiny, then... imagine the costs of the cancelled or delayed flight... how to answer??

↡ Advertisement