Any successful travel insurance claim before ?

Joemit7850

Claimed back flight cancellation for domestic flight from Queenstown (NZ) and Auckland to Sg during the ash from volcano eruption by Jetstar. The refund sufficient for me to cover the cost of air ticket by Air NZ & SQ flight back to Sg. Just that very troublesome to get letter from Budget airline to confirm the flight cancellation and deal with insurance that need black and white.

As medical claim, no problem as long you visit clinic by the 7th day upon your arrival @ a Changi airport.

Good point. I didn't realise that Budget airlines may be slower in giving the documentation. We had no problem with Cathay Pacific.

↡ Advertisement

Good point. I didn't realise that Budget airlines may be slower in giving the documentation. We had no problem with Cathay Pacific.

Another bad point for budget airline, there will be no accommodation arrangement if the flight is cancel for the day. The passenger will have to find his way to get a place to stay. Very risky if you travel with children and travel to those country with only 1 daily flight.

medical coverage.

For medical claim, the travel insurer have to pay all by themselves.

How about cancelled flights or delayed luggage: Travel insurer pay us and then claim from airline?

That could be the reason, they collect premiums less than hundred dollars and don’t blink an eye to pay $2000 compensation.

on what basis does insurer claims from airline? Just curios as there's no relationship between airline and insurer? Basis airline e-tickets submitted by insured (any subrogation letter signed by insured giving all rights to insurer to reclaim costs)? But then, the T&Cs would have "absolve" airline fully from whatever liabilities. :D

I think it's relatively lucrative business as many people buy, but forget to claim for minor incidents. I had my luggage damaged, but didn't claim until I realised and it's too late. I was thinking normal wear and tear as it's quite an old baggage. [laugh]

There's no sales force required too. And percentage claims out of number of policies taken are relatively low.

How about cancelled flights or delayed luggage: Travel insurer pay us and then claim from airline?

That could be the reason, they collect premiums less than hundred dollars and don’t blink an eye to pay $2000 compensation.

Edited by Kangadrool

Claimed for video camera kenna stolen during our honeymoon. Must show police report and receipt.. In the end the claim amount is much less than the camera we bought.

Edited by Ender

I claimed twice.

Once I had my money stolen in Amsterdam. I lost about 1000 dollars but I could only claim the limit allowable which is 500 dollars. I filled up the claim form and gave the police report to the insurer on my return. The police report was in Dutch and the insurance agent asked me to interprete... [laugh]

I learned one thing though. Read the fine print. I bought the annual plan partially because it covered terrorism. Unfortunately, I only found out the definition of terrorism when I went back and as a just for giggles, asked my agent since I was claiming for the lost cash.. Basically, you are covered if you were a victim of suicde bombing. Riots are not covered. If you were killed during a shootout between the army and the terrorists, you are not covered.

And during that trip, I was happliy backpacking and walking and taking public transport in Israel and Palestine. [sweatdrop]

2nd time

I was on my way back from Buffalo, NY to Singapore. I even told the managress at the hostel I was leaving early the next morning to catch the bus to the airport.

The first bus was at 0415 hrs. Second bus was 0545 hrs. My flight was at 0646 hrs. Travel time to the airport is about 20 minutes. I was at the bus stop at 0400 hrs. It was dark and cold and few people were about. They stared at me but I ignore them. The streetlights were not working well. I waited.

0415 came and went. I waited.

0500. I still waited, refused to take a cab to save costs. [blush]

0530. I started to panic.

0545, the bus came and I boarded.

I reached the airport at 0611. I went to the toilet (should not have done that) to remove my jacket and stuf it into my check in lugguage before checking in.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT. [furious]

I reached the counter. The lady took my passport. Then the conveyer belt stopped and she retuerned the passport to me. I was too late. I had to catch the next flight. Security policy dictates that all check ins stop half an hour before departure. It was 0617. One minute late. I asked her to get security to just start up the copnveyer belt again but rules are rules. She even added,' As a frequent traveller to USA, you of all people should know that we take any rule concerning security seriously......"

Fortunately, I managed to get the flight replaced for free but it was a 24 hour wait. I went back to the hostel and the managress stared at me. I got a discount for one more night at the hostel. We called the bus company to demand an explanation. They denied being late.

When I got back to Singapore, I kept emailing them until they finally admitted that the first bus had engine trouble and the driver probably skipped the first few stops because no one would be waiting in a dark part of town at 0400 in the morning. Too bad I was there.

With the email, I submitted to the insurance company and got a hundred dollars as compensation, which more than paid for oy one day extra expenditure. [sunny]

How I remember the timing so well? Believe me. When you wait over an hour in a dark part of town at 0400 hours, you never forget [:p]

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

Yup, maybe just pretend pretend and not call. Get the most expensive medical treatment and claimed later? Is that what they want of us?

I mean, I was following their protocol and I have to incurred out-of-pocket money because of their protocols?

That's why on matter of principle, I pursued.

I agree with your principle cos better follow their procedure/protocol else they may not pay if you don't.

And since they came up with this rule, they should reimburse you accordingly, amount is irrelevant!

• Praise 4

Yes may be that's the difference in the treatment of the claims.

For cancelled flights, damaged luggages or delayed luggages, I think either the airlines or the airport concerned would have to pay eventually.

I remembered delayed luggages when returning from Australia was dealt with by Changi AP office (inside the airport) and not by my insurance company. Even damaged luggages were dealt with by the airlines (SQ).

As for flight delays or luggage delays, there are many sub-conditions. Good to read the fine prints. Some allowed only when delay happened when was overseas, and some of a minimum number of hours, etc.

Edited by Latio2005A

like that can claim from travel insurance right? no need to wait for the airline to compensate you correct?

anyway who put laptop in the check-in luggage?

Budget airline offers passenger $77 in compensation for banged-up luggage
Monday, May 30, 2016

30052016_pantip_damagedluggage4.jpg?itok
Photo: Pantip.com

A bent laptop, a damaged hair curling iron and torn clothes were among the items a traveller received when she got her missing luggage back.

As for her suitcase? It was a mangled mess that is beyond recognition.

The passenger voiced her displeasure online and posted images on Pantip.com, when the airline offered her 2,000 baht (S$77.30) in compensation for her badly damaged suitcase, reported The Bangkok Post. 

On May 5, the woman had flown on budget airline Thai Smile from Phuket to Bangkok. 

When she arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport at around 11pm, her suitcase was nowhere to be found. 

When she went looking for her missing baggage, the airline said all bags had already been loaded onto the carousel.

The woman waited at the airport until 1am but to no avail.

The next day at 5pm, she received a call from the airline saying that her bag had been located, but it was damaged.

When she picked up her bag, she found that, not only was the suitcase badly banged-up, many items in her luggage were also damaged.

The airline expressed regret over the incident and has apologised for the damage.

They offered her 2,000 baht in compensation for the damaged suitcase but said that they would not cover damage to the bag's contents. However, the woman could get a new bag from the airline. 

(edited)

Thermometer is not claimable under Travel Medical Insurance...do check with the Travel Insurance Company before u purchase the Travel Insurance.

Edited by magaritas
  • Praise 1

like that can claim from travel insurance right? no need to wait for the airline to compensate you correct?

maybe never buy.... till now i know of people not buying travel insurance... 

• Praise 1

any place other than Msia i will buy travel insurance, maybe to some people travel to bangkok so often like going to msia, they feel they dun need the insurance  [sweatdrop]

any place other than Msia i will buy travel insurance, maybe to some people travel to bangkok so often like going to msia, they feel they dun need the insurance  [sweatdrop]

to me travel insurance is mainly for medi evac and medical .... i don't want die in other country but my own country......

rest of the claims are bonus.....

• Praise 2

Supercharged

standard insurance claims up to $500. that's like a $50 once off premium.

My wife paid $100+ before. Claimable up to $1500. But again got cap on maximum claimable. Confirm wouldn't recover 100%

• Praise 1

to me travel insurance is mainly for medi evac and medical .... i don't want die in other country but my own country......

rest of the claims are bonus.....

If got rental car, make sure rental car insurance excess is covered.

If you have holiday 2 times a year, juz buy annual cover.  That will cover your Malaysia trip.  Can always activate it whenever car lost during massage :)

Supersonic

Always, always buy.  You'll never know what can happen.  I personally know of 2 cases where travel insurance really mattered:

1.  Close relative's MIL went to the US for a holiday.  He had a heart attack and was warded in ICU for 6 days, and normal ward for another 2 weeks.  Bill was astronomical but covered.

2.  My close relative went to Malaysia for a holiday. While on holiday, he suffered a stroke.  In KL Gleneaegles' ICU for more than 2 weeks, including 2 operations to stop bleeding in the brain.  Once stabilised, ambulance brought him back from KL to SGH.  Again, the bill was astronomical but covered by insurance.  In this case, NTUC paid Gleneagles in KL directly and the hospital paid back the deposit.  NTUC also covered the transport back to Singapore via ambulance which included medical personnel on board to monitor the patient, and hotel bills and flights for son who flew up to KL to be with the relative.

Silly to save the minor cost of travel insurance when anything can happen.

• Praise 2

standard insurance claims up to $500. that's like a $50 once off premium.

My wife paid $100+ before. Claimable up to $1500. But again got cap on maximum claimable. Confirm wouldn't recover 100%

i see, i also usually buy the higher plan (not the highest) since the different is not much.

i see, i also usually buy the higher plan (not the highest) since the different is not much.

I always look at plan with medical expense of $1mn and evacuation of $1m.

For comparion of travel insurance, juz go to gobear.com

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2