Any successful travel insurance claim before ?

Joemit7850

first time claiming travel insurance for my son's trip to HK 2 weeks ago.

One claim for his medical fee when he fall sick on sunday, no clinic around and he travel to raffles medical at the airport (lucky they were staying at Discovery bay). Second claim was for flight (UA) canceled due to maintenance issue, they replace with SQ flight on the next day, manage to claim compensation for 12hrs delay.

I just took the photo of the original itinerary and the replaced flight boarding pass and email to them. So simple! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I lost an iPad Pro in Innsbruck. Claimed the full price with axa. No questions asked. Online application just need to get your proof of loss in Innsbruck.

Going to stick with axa travel insurance.

I accidentally reversed into a low wall in NZ, damaged the entire rear bumper mountings and bumper and sensors. Repair cost was NZD3K. The insurance excess with NZ car rental company was $1,200.

I claimed first $1k from travel insurer for rental car excess, and was promptly paid. Had to submit bills and workshop report which Budget NZ supplied.

The insurer was Sompo (formerly called Tenet Insurance).  

One claim for his medical fee when he fall sick on sunday, no clinic around and he travel to raffles medical at the airport (lucky they were staying at Discovery bay). Second claim was for flight (UA) canceled due to maintenance issue, they replace with SQ flight on the next day, manage to claim compensation for 12hrs delay.

I just took the photo of the original itinerary and the replaced flight boarding pass and email to them. So simple! [laugh]

who was the insurer?

Can sure from which company?

Just read your reply above.

Edited by Tohto

Can sure from which company?

Just read your reply above.

after submitting the photos of evident, they approved the claim in 7 working days.

My HL Travel protect 360 Saga

"Delayed Baggage

The Company shall pay up to the Benefit Limit if the Insured Person’s

checked-in baggage is temporarily lost in transit or misdirected by the

carrier and not returned to the Insured Person within six (6) hours after

his /her arrival at the baggage pick-up point of the scheduled overseas

destination.

The delay must be verified in writing by the carrier, operator or their

handling agents stating the length and reason(s) of the delay"

My baggage got delayed on my return trip to Singapore. On submitting my claims, the HL claims executive responded that "scheduled overseas destination" refers to my overseas holiday destination, and is not applicable for baggage delayed upon arrival in Singapore.

When I took the HL policy, I was off the impression that the "scheduled overseas destination" refers to both my holiday destination and Singapore. Well, now i know better. 

Insurance companies and their wordplay! Should rename their policy to travel protect 180 instead. Lol :s13:

Edited by Joseph82
  • Praise 1

How is it unfair? Isn't the point of the insurance so that if your luggage is delayed overseas, you will be compensated for the underwear and clothes you buy to tide over the delay?

You mean you don't have spare underwear in Singapore?

Eh... "scheduled overseas destination", quite clearly spell out, imho.

Well, it got me confused as my return trip to Singapore was scheduled as my overseas destination. [laugh]

I mean why call your insurance travel protect 360, if you are only gonna cover half the journey? Misleading much..

Well, it got me confused as my return trip to Singapore was scheduled as my overseas destination. [laugh]

I mean why call your insurance travel protect 360, if you are only gonna cover half the journey? Misleading much..

Do you mind sharing what your loss here is? If there is no loss, what's the claim for?

Do you mind sharing what your loss here is? If there is no loss, what's the claim for?

Er.. Let me answer your question with a question.

If your flight back home got delayed by 24 hours would you claim insurance (As you have no loss)?

Basically, you take insurance to protect yourself against such inconveniences.   

Every policy is a little different, read carefully to set your own expectations. For road trips some cover rental excess some don't, some cover more some less. Some don't cover sea sports some do Read first.

Totally agreed! learnt from this from this episode. 

Er.. Let me answer your question with a question.

If your flight back home got delayed by 24 hours would you claim insurance (As you have no loss)?

Basically, you take insurance to protect yourself against such inconveniences.   

If my flight got home 24 hours late, my loss is 24 hours (and whatever pre-agreed appointments I had such as work) which the insurance company converts to cash at a pre-agreed rate.

So I ask again, what was your loss? Your baggage came late - did you have to go back to the airport for it, etc?

Edited by Kusje

the logic is if the luggage is delay overseas, you have to replace your clothing and necessities before you get your luggage. For return home you should have everything you need at home. 

We all must understand a travel insurance is to protect you from inconvenience when you are overseas.

erm.... they also cover you when you are on the plane back...

it is 360 mah... 0 degree when you at sg airport, 180 at overseas, 360 when you land back sg...

like that call halfway?

If my flight got home 24 hours late, my loss is 24 hours (and whatever pre-agreed appointments I had such as work) which the insurance company converts to cash at a pre-agreed rate.

So I ask again, what was your loss? Your baggage came late - did you have to go back to the airport for it, etc?

Precisely! There is a loss in delays and that's the reason insurance companies offer this coverage, and consumers buy it.

The exact sum of my loss is not of relevance here; I am merely sharing my experience, so others can better understand what their insurance coverage entails. 

the logic is if the luggage is delay overseas, you have to replace your clothing and necessities before you get your luggage. For return home you should have everything you need at home.

Agreed. But insurance companies do offer compensation for delays back home aswell eg NTUC.

Im sure they have their reasons.

Maybe favourite underwear inside cause a lot of trauma. [laugh]

Reading insurance clauses caused more trauma, than the delay of my precious underwear  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement