Can Porsche Boxster take 95RON?

Vinceng

Got a shock when I saw the owner/driver of the latest model Boxster pumping Esso 95RON. Owner was pumping himself so cannot be pump attendant pumping wrong grade of fuel.

Not sure is it is the 2.9 or 3.6 model.

Compression ratio for above models are 11.5 and 12.5 respectively.

Suzuki Swift Sports with compression ratio of 11 requires 98RON.

Normal 1.6 to 2.0 family saloons have compression ratios of 9.5 to 10 and can accept 95RON.

Will 95RON damage the Boxster engine or will engine just retard timing resulting in loss of power?

↡ Advertisement

true.

if a car need RON90, anything above RON90 is wasting of money.

however, the higher the RON, the better the car will perform.

for a Porsche Boxster, the compression ratio is much higher, so higher RON is better.

but that doesn't mean that the car cannot take in lower RON.

again, the higher the RON, the better the car performance. smoother drive, better FC, better power.

if the RON is too low, you will get poor FC, noisy engine sound, engine wear & tear easily.

like that only. nothing much.

maybe the Boxster's owner wants to sell his/her car soon? hehe.

true.

for a Porsche Boxster, the compression ratio is much higher, so higher RON is better.

again, the higher the RON, the better the car performance. smoother drive, better FC, better power.

if the RON is too low, you will get poor FC, noisy engine sound, engine wear & tear easily.

Not true!!

when I was in Melbourne studying, Subaru agent bring in only 400 WRX STI to Australia and these STI are 2 doors coupe.

few years later Subaru recall all STI and change a new slightly detune engine.

Reasons??? those STI are meant for 100RON petrol same Japan spec STI and Australia best only 98RON thus engine show sign of problem.

URL link to see the unique 2 door coupe classic design. people than studying in Australia during that time will know [thumbsup]

http://www.mazdarotary.net/azzamwrx.htm

Edited by D3badge

Neutral Newbie

even if the car manual says recommended 95ron, u can go for lower ron rating, but at your own risk...one possible tell-tale sign that the lower ron is not working well is when u get knocking...

The Boxster spec is 93 Octane.

So the owner is wasting money using 95. :D

But maybe Porsche owner so money no issues to him.

I differ for performance car u can really feel the rush or more pulling power with higher RON, thus I always pump Caltex Platinum or v-power

Neutral Newbie

I differ for performance car u can really feel the rush or more pulling power with higher RON, thus I always pump Caltex Platinum or v-power

[thumbsup] tried 98 and v-power...can feel quite a difference...on v-power thereafter...

true.

Not necessary. It all depends on whether the ECU is programmed to take advantage of higher RON fuel.

Actually, all the cars on the road can take advantage of RON98 fuel. Its just the that the stock ECU is usually not programmed to take advantage of it. Why? Thats because its not the real itention of the design. When manufacturers program the ECU, they take in many accounts like where the car is sold, the type of fuel that may be available in the car and reliability and of course development cost. IT takes alot of testing in order to determine suitable maps for the car and time is money.

In reality, it is impossible for the car to detect the RON of the petrol you pump. What is does is only to detect knock. If it does not detect knock, it can auto advance ignition timing and run leaner till either detects knock or reachs the max value of its map. Mainstream cars are usually not programmed for RON98 fuel (perhaps just 95 or even 92). Thus when you pump 92/95, the car is able to advance ignition to the max and run at near optimum A/F ratio. But when you pump 98, the car cannot advance timing further and adjust A/F ratio because its at the max for its programmed settings. Hence, no improvements.

However, if there are countries where there are lower RON petrol like 85 or 89, then pumping 89 and 92 will make a difference.

This is also the reason why ECU flashing or piggyback or aftermarket ECU can allow more power when you pump 98. Thats because they bypass the stock settings and put more aggressive settings for the car so it can take advantage of 98 petrol.

Neutral Newbie

If you reckon higher RON gives more power, why not pump normal 98? V-power is also 98 RON issn't it?

Neutral Newbie

If you reckon higher RON gives more power, why not pump normal 98? V-power is also 98 RON issn't it?

v-power is usually 98 RON plus some addictive..this article below explains why v-power is better than 98 RON for engines with knocking sensors (more so with TC engines)..

http://fuelsaving.info/fuels.htm

Certain engines - especially turbos - are "knock limited", that is to say, the ignition cannot be advanced to the optimum point because the fuel/air mixture explodes spontaneously causing engine damage. The higher octane rating allows more ignition advance and hence more torque. Providing the engine ECU has a knock sensor, it will automatically add this extra ignition advance whenever V-Power is used.

mine is TC engine..hence can really feel a huge difference bet v-power and shell 98...

↡ Advertisement