Can Porsche Boxster take 95RON?

Vinceng

Neutral Newbie

v-power is usually 98 RON plus some addictive..this article below explains why v-power is better than 98 RON for engines with knocking sensors (more so with TC engines)..

http://fuelsaving.info/fuels.htm

Certain engines - especially turbos - are "knock limited", that is to say, the ignition cannot be advanced to the optimum point because the fuel/air mixture explodes spontaneously causing engine damage. The higher octane rating allows more ignition advance and hence more torque. Providing the engine ECU has a knock sensor, it will automatically add this extra ignition advance whenever V-Power is used.

mine is TC engine..hence can really feel a huge difference bet v-power and shell 98...

Your article is comparing V-power(ron98) to "UK normal" ron 95.

"The main advantage of V-Power etc is the higher octane rating - typically 98 RON as opposed to 95 RON for normal UK unleaded."

It does not say V-power is better than normal 98. It goes on to say that one would only get a performance boost when using V-power if your manual requires RON 98

"If your car manual specifically recommends use of 98 RON fuel, but you normally use 95 RON, then a premium fuel such as V-Power should give a noticeable performance boost."

Hence it does not answer why V-power of RON 98 gives more power than normal 98.

Edited by Ivant
↡ Advertisement

Not true!!

when I was in Melbourne studying, Subaru agent bring in only 400 WRX STI to Australia and these STI are 2 doors coupe.

few years later Subaru recall all STI and change a new slightly detune engine.

Reasons??? those STI are meant for 100RON petrol same Japan spec STI and Australia best only 98RON thus engine show sign of problem.

URL link to see the unique 2 door coupe classic design. people than studying in Australia during that time will know [thumbsup]

http://www.mazdarotary.net/azzamwrx.htm

OT a bit

this subaru impreza sti coupe si bei chio ! [:p]

Neutral Newbie

"The main advantage of V-Power etc is the higher octane rating - typically 98 RON as opposed to 95 RON for normal UK unleaded."

It does not say V-power is better than normal 98. It goes on to say that one would only get a performance boost when using V-power if your manual requires RON 98

"If your car manual specifically recommends use of 98 RON fuel, but you normally use 95 RON, then a premium fuel such as V-Power should give a noticeable performance boost."

Hence it does not answer why V-power of RON 98 gives more power than normal 98 if RON.

your statements above have the answers...which you appeared to have correctly extracted from the article...not sure why u say there is no answer...

btw, what is your car model if you don't mind to share?

Neutral Newbie

your statements above have the answers...which you appeared to have correctly extracted from the article...not sure why u say there is no answer...

btw, what is your car model if you don't mind to share?

I can understand why RON 98 gives better power than RON 95 if your car requires it.

I just want to know why Vpower of RON 98 is better than normal RON 98.

Mine is a tom yum car which only requires RON 91. [:p] I pump 95 normally and I suspect even that is overkill.

Power loss or not i thought the engine should have knock sensors to to cripple advanced ignition timings?

Yes most engines have knock sensors. However, there are cases where the fuel will auto ignite even before the spark plug fires. In such cases, retarding the ignition time will not help at all. The ECU will most likely add more fuel to richen the mixture to prevent the knock. However, there is also a limit to how much fuel ECU can add to prevent knock.

This is when you will really need higher octance fuel. Even if the ECU is able to prevent knock by running rich, you lose power and your FC goes up. Thus whats the point?

Btw, we have to also take note that knock sensors is not 100% foolproof. While it does work, it may not be able to pick up some of the knocks. There are just so many types of knocks that produces different sound/frequency etc..... Thus if the ECU is unable to recognise knock the engine is producing (esp. light knocks), then your may be looking at an early death for your engine.....

Hence it does not answer why V-power of RON 98 gives more power than normal 98.

Why V-power gives more power than regular 98? Simple. Its the additives in the petrol. Different petrol have different additives. Some are able to reduce friction and produce more power when combust etc...... Of course, all these additives cost $$$....

Neutral Newbie

Why V-power gives more power than regular 98? Simple. Its the additives in the petrol. Different petrol have different additives. Some are able to reduce friction and produce more power when combust etc...... Of course, all these additives cost $$$....

If its the additives that help produce more power, why does it not show on the dyno for cars (Renault clio that was tested in the clip I posted above) that don't require high octane? Does the additive that reduce friction not work on cheap cars?

Edited by Ivant

Neutral Newbie

true.

if a car need RON90, anything above RON90 is wasting of money.

however, the higher the RON, the better the car will perform.

for a Porsche Boxster, the compression ratio is much higher, so higher RON is better.

but that doesn't mean that the car cannot take in lower RON.

again, the higher the RON, the better the car performance. smoother drive, better FC, better power.

if the RON is too low, you will get poor FC, noisy engine sound, engine wear & tear easily.

like that only. nothing much.

maybe the Boxster's owner wants to sell his/her car soon? hehe.

\

Dont know anything about octane with regards to compression dont gei kiang and give wrong info thanks.

OT a bit

this subaru impreza sti coupe si bei chio ! [:p]

yup this STI was the car to have in rally car seg. when I was there studying [laugh] the big brother WRX!!

mostly that era jap popular are WRX, S15 , Supra twin turbo and skyline R33 to some R34

This is a hilarious reply.

talk until like V-power is a kind of lubricant.

This is a hilarious reply.

talk until like V-power is a kind of lubricant.

Actually i'm also one of those idiot that swear by V power.. Never tried any other brands cos the shell station is very close to my house.. 98 use to be fine but after tuning my ride, no more kick.

I'm the kind of idiot who would actually carry 10 to 15 bottle of elf octane booster before every trip north. My buddy with an evo is worse. He brings up a whole carton of octane booster. Like mama shop.

Actually i'm also one of those idiot that swear by V power.. Never tried any other brands cos the shell station is very close to my house.. 98 use to be fine but after tuning my ride, no more kick.

I'm the kind of idiot who would actually carry 10 to 15 bottle of elf octane booster before every trip north. My buddy with an evo is worse. He brings up a whole carton of octane booster. Like mama shop.

why not just use ethanol?

↡ Advertisement