Can Porsche Boxster take 95RON?

Vinceng

that was reported in theage.com.au melbourne newspaper. go email Subaru head office in Melbourne, Subaru change to a detune engine cause report engine damage. BTW Australia got these 400 2 door coupe STI with Japan Spec.

Singapore WRX STI doesnt mean we get the same spec as Japan STI, and unlikely ur friend was driving an STI in that model MY99 more likely a WRX as Australia was the 1st to recieve STI outside Japan, and singapore dun come in 2 door coupe [smash]

well, if u insist that singapore doesn't have the STi 22B then so be it. well, let's take it that i can't differenciate between a 4 door sedan and a 2 door coupe then.

so, wat sort of performance car u driving now? an STi?

↡ Advertisement

for E10/E25 petrol dont need to retune wad. and E10 is 10% ethanol so say a full tank of 66L only 6.6L of ethanol required.

Ethanol has octane 129 so you can calculate the overall RON of your petrol

Say you tune for 98 when you have 97 RON petrol in malaysia you will require very very little ethanol

That applies to normal cars, not highly tuned ones. If your car is very aggressively tuned, even the brand of petrol (though same RON value) can cause problem. these guys probably have very aggressive tuning, thats why they need octance boosters.

Twincharged

well, if u insist that singapore doesn't have the STi 22B then so be it. well, let's take it that i can't differenciate between a 4 door sedan and a 2 door coupe then.

Maybe ur friend just got the normal impreza turbo coupe. Cuz there is another 2.2l coupe impreza but its not STi.

Yes, you are right. most ECU can advance timing and adjust A/F ratio, but up to a certain point. When the ECU doesn't detect any knock, it will usually auto advance the timing. Then when then is knock, it will reduce and stay there.

Another factor is the additives added into the petrol. If you cehck Shell and Esso website, their 98 and Vpower petrol in SG contains additional friction reducing additive (works just like upper cylinder lube) and other additves to boost power. All these additives will make the engine slightly smother

Thats also why I add minute amts of 2T oil into my petrol. Its to serve as upper cylinder lube.

I wonder if MY Esso has e same package of additives as SG Esso?

In JB, When i pump 95 e engine feels rough but 97 is smoother. Maybe MY 95 has less or different additives than MY 97?

Toking abt adding 2T. I was supposed to try that but totally forgot. Now u remind me, i must get a bottle of smokeless 2T next time i fill-up in JB.

well I didn't insist, I use the word" unlikely" if u read carefully. Australia recieve the 1st batch of STI outside Japan, and few years later Australia newspaper report abt the recall as I was still living in Melbourne than, just sharing what I know with people in forum.

whether you guys want to believe or not, also not my problem as cars are yours.

you seem to be asking everyone what their ride yeah?

if you are curious abt my ride, it is a manual 3.2L V6 NA engine

well I didn't insist, I use the word" unlikely" if u read carefully. Australia recieve the 1st batch of STI outside Japan, and few years later Australia newspaper report abt the recall as I was still living in Melbourne than, just sharing what I know with people in forum.

whether you guys want to believe or not, also not my problem as cars are yours.

you seem to be asking everyone what their ride yeah?

if you are curious abt my ride, it is a manual 3.2L V6 NA engine

well, maybe I misread abt the 'unlikely' part. anyway, u did mentioned that Singapore 'dun' hv the 2 door ver.. I'm pretty sure I saw one and had a ride in it too..

ur right abt my curiosity abt other people's ride, esp when they claim they r driving some sort of performance car..

this is a car forum, if I dun ask abt the make of the car that they drive, then shd I be askin abt the sex of their kittens instead?

btw, I dun rem I really went ard asking EVERYONE wat their ride is. where did u gather dat?

well, maybe I misread abt the 'unlikely' part. anyway, u did mentioned that Singapore 'dun' hv the 2 door ver.. I'm pretty sure I saw one and had a ride in it too..

ur right abt my curiosity abt other people's ride, esp when they claim they r driving some sort of performance car..

this is a car forum, if I dun ask abt the make of the car that they drive, then shd I be askin abt the sex of their kittens instead?

btw, I dun rem I really went ard asking EVERYONE wat their ride is. where did u gather dat?

ha ha earlier post on a kia coupe. BTW late 90s shell got vpower liao and market as 100RON that why me and my mates wonder why Australia dun have.........

and a friend of mine remind me cause Singapore 3rd biggest oil refinery thus make sense why SG got 100RON AU dun have.

in the past Shell have a petrol call XO before vpower too

ha ha earlier post on a kia coupe. BTW late 90s shell got vpower liao and market as 100RON that why me and my mates wonder why Australia dun have.........

and a friend of mine remind me cause Singapore 3rd biggest oil refinery thus make sense why SG got 100RON AU dun have.

in the past Shell have a petrol call XO before vpower too

if I rem correctly in the 90s Caltex is the only one that claimed they hv 100Ron petrol..

Shell had one of their petrol grade named 'XO'? might as well follow by 'Chivas' for their 95ron. haha..

jokes aside, I really swear my fren had a 22B STi 2 door coupe in the late 90s. I rem it very well coz that was the 1st performance I set my eyes upon.. unless it was a fake so real nobody cld tell.. haha..

Neutral Newbie

Thats also why I add minute amts of 2T oil into my petrol. Its to serve as upper cylinder lube.

Doesn't that damage the O2 sensor and cat?

if I rem correctly in the 90s Caltex is the only one that claimed they hv 100Ron petrol..

Shell had one of their petrol grade named 'XO'? might as well follow by 'Chivas' for their 95ron. haha..

jokes aside, I really swear my fren had a 22B STi 2 door coupe in the late 90s. I rem it very well coz that was the 1st performance I set my eyes upon.. unless it was a fake so real nobody cld tell.. haha..

Yeah, I rmb the XO, iirc the pump is gold in colour, or black and gold. That was when I was in primary school.

This is a hilarious reply.

talk until like V-power is a kind of lubricant.

imo vpower's power is only good for first 10km [laugh]

maybe mine is louya car so vpower no effect

Neutral Newbie

Nope it doesn't

From Sensors failure section of wiki article Oxygen Sensor

"Leaks of oil into the engine may cover the probe tip with an oily black deposit, with associated loss of response."

2T is oil issn't it.

Edited by Ivant

From Sensors failure section of wiki article Oxygen Sensor

"Leaks of oil into the engine may cover the probe tip with an oily black deposit, with associated loss of response."

2T is oil issn't it.

Adding just 1-2ml of 2T oil to your petrol is not enough to foul your plugs or O2 sensor or cat converter. You need much more than that to do it.

If you do add enough 2T oil (assuming an experiment trying to foul the O2 sensor and cat), the first thing you will notice is fouling of your plugs. You don't need to look at O2 sensor. The combustion is so bad that your plugs will either be blacken (covered with soot) or even worse oil (2T oil unable to burn properly and remain as oil stain on the plug). If you see that you know that there is too much oil already.

Btw, fouling does not come from just 2T oil, if your piston rings are worn and engine is burning engine oil (4T oil is less combustible then 2T so even worse). Then you will also foul your plugs, O2 and cat.

Lastly, its also unavoidable for engines to burn oil. Our piston rings do not form a 100% seal thus some engine oil will get into the combustion area and remain on cylinder walls. They will get burnt. And all engines have blowbys regardless of age. Again due to imperfect piston ring seals. These blow by gases will get duct back into your intake and burnt (this gas also contains lots of engine oil vapour). Some peope uses an oil catch tank to store the oil so it won't get into combustion chamber. After sometime, you will see engine oil collected in the tank.

All these oil will go into your combustion chamber and get burn up..... But does it damage your O2 or cat? Not enough to do that.

Neutral Newbie

Adding just 1-2ml of 2T oil to your petrol is not enough to foul your plugs or O2 sensor or cat converter. You need much more than that to do it.

If you do add enough 2T oil (assuming an experiment trying to foul the O2 sensor and cat), the first thing you will notice is fouling of your plugs. You don't need to look at O2 sensor. The combustion is so bad that your plugs will either be blacken (covered with soot) or even worse oil (2T oil unable to burn properly and remain as oil stain on the plug). If you see that you know that there is too much oil already.

Btw, fouling does not come from just 2T oil, if your piston rings are worn and engine is burning engine oil (4T oil is less combustible then 2T so even worse). Then you will also foul your plugs, O2 and cat.

Lastly, its also unavoidable for engines to burn oil. Our piston rings do not form a 100% seal thus some engine oil will get into the combustion area and remain on cylinder walls. They will get burnt. And all engines have blowbys regardless of age. Again due to imperfect piston ring seals. These blow by gases will get duct back into your intake and burnt (this gas also contains lots of engine oil vapour). Some peope uses an oil catch tank to store the oil so it won't get into combustion chamber. After sometime, you will see engine oil collected in the tank.

All these oil will go into your combustion chamber and get burn up..... But does it damage your O2 or cat? Not enough to do that.

Plugs can handle 2T pretty well. 2T engine also uses sparkplug. Their spark plugs are nothing special. If plugs foul, that amount of oil is too much even for a 2 stroke engine which requires 2T oil.

Actually the piston ring makes use of the combustion pressure and seals pretty well. If blowby is as serious as you say it is, you will find your engine "eating" oil. This is not the norm. So in a normal engine, oil loss after 10000km will be less than 100cc. I can attest to that as I change my own oil.

So how minute an amount of 2T are you putting into your tank in the course of 10000km?

↡ Advertisement