"consider replacing your battery" on window 7

Roverboy

Neutral Newbie

May I refer you to this thread in the Microsoft Technet Forum, which I have been monitoring for a while:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...ae-da1dd11b8d1a

Thanks for the link to this really informative thread. Seems that there is some compatibility issue between Win 7 and older laptops which were not designed for Win 7.

So let me try to summarize:

1. If you are using an older laptop that was pre-installed with Vista, XP, etc and upgraded to Win7, you might be having this problem. Check your laptop battery software for the design capacity, remaining capacity. If the numbers seem wrong, there probably are. Changing to a new battery may not help, as the laptop hardware and firmware needs to be compatible as well.

2. If you constantly leave your laptop plugged into AC with battery, on some laptops over time the built-in battery meter becomes inaccurate and it will repeatedly overcharge and greatly reduce the battery life. In this case your battery is toast. Changing to a new battery will most likely resolve your problem.

3. If your battery appears to be "damaged" by Win 7, and you're keen to explore, you can try to reset the monitoring circuitry by:

- Unplug the AC and let it drain as far as possible (may need to disable the warnings, hibernation, etc)

- Let the motherboard circuitry recharge the batt (do not boot the machine, or Win 7 will take over and end up with the same prob)

- Install the original OS or use LiveCD to check the battery.

Note: #2/#3 are purely my own opinion and I do not guarantee that they will work or resolve the problem :)