Why do we have the 3/4 rule?

New_Atlantis

Can someone kindly comment on why the 3/4 rule was implemented?

i can't remember if it was because

1) MY was making noise and SG came out with the rule.

2) or SG gov wanted to protect the local petrol industry.

I was just wondering if the reason the rule was setup was because of point 1.

Then it's time to scrape the rule because MY gov is happy to sell 97 petrol to us at unsubsidized rates.

if it was point 2..... ...... s--t.

Regards

↡ Advertisement

No la, cant be. THat is last time. But now, RON97 no more subsidiesed. Now is because...they play tcss, play ball on the greens then consider lor. Remember...u can TKK for prices to drop esp for things like petrol for private cars...

Then it's time to scrape the rule because MY gov is happy to sell 97 petrol to us at unsubsidized rates.

Regards

It is 2) and

3) Loss on the petrol tax.

4) Less jam at Woodlands checkpoint

It mainly to protect gahment's pocket. You should know how much they earn from tax. If no 3/4 tank rule, then many will simple get across and pump....

Btw, it used to be 1/2 tank but failed to stop people as most think its still worth it. Then it became 3/4 tank.

Regards

MY losing money part is more of a story..... True that all petrol used to be subsidised by MY Gahment back then. But they only say they subsidised. They never mentioned about corporate income tax........

They subsidised petrol, they get the money back from the tax. More SG cars come pump? They will be very happy actually.....

If I remember correctly, the 3/4 tank rule came in 2 stage, the 1st was half tank, but motorist still find it worthwhile to go in and pump petrol. At that time, there was no toll at Causeway and 2nd Link under construction. It was then increased to 3/4 tank. Most probably was loss of tax revenue but official reason was to curb car usage. Same reason being apply to ERP charges now.

its more for the govt bec if u notice that oil pump taxes comes up to 35% ie if u pay $1 - 35 cents goes to the govt as taxes n on top of that another 7% GST - hence thats alot of money lost to govt if there's no 3/4 regulation.

it is the local authority called for the shot!

iirc, the recession started in late 1984, u can c even upmarket cars lining up in causeway pumping petrol in JB, including me with my bread & butter toy.

bolehland did not bother us, it could be due to population of their cars vs sg cars entering for cheap petrol [thumbsup] .

those who were effected at that time would know the saving including buying household groceries from JB.

Hrrr....u mean there was a 1/2 tank rule before 3/4 ???? Didnt know that. [laugh]

MY petrol not cheap liao lei. RM2.15 for Ron 97.

But the exchange rate is god damn good. RM2.39 for $1 !!!!! [shocked]

It mainly to protect gahment's pocket. You should know how much they earn from tax. If no 3/4 tank rule, then many will simple get across and pump....

Btw, it used to be 1/2 tank but failed to stop people as most think its still worth it. Then it became 3/4 tank.

There was a half tank ruling before 3/4 ruling. In fact, there was a big hoohaa over how to judge the 3/4 mark as compared to 1/2 mark. Some cars do not have a quarter marking, so gahmen said some give and take. [bounce1] Revenue was being lost not just in petrol as Singaporean do groceries, makan, massage as things were much cheaper than.

I think most prob is sg side, cos if dun have 3/4 rule, all petrol station in sg will close down liao!

to add to that. petrol site need to be bidded. if there is no business for petrol site, bid amt will be lesser... meaning less $$$ for govt...

well, pay and pay....

bro how old are you ah?.. Since when was it half tank??? [confused]

its more for the govt bec if u notice that oil pump taxes comes up to 35% ie if u pay $1 - 35 cents goes to the govt as taxes n on top of that another 7% GST - hence thats alot of money lost to govt if there's no 3/4 regulation.

I think it should be 40% instead as mentioned earlier.

Btw TS, it's to protect the interests of the petrol companies here. If no 3/4 ruling, no petrol companies would wanna set up shop here and keep losing their biz to their counterparts in MY. Less petrol sold here = Less tax collected by the gahment. Of cos less jobs here as well. This is also 1 of the reasons that SG is 1of the richest country in SEA.