Renault Fluence 1.6, 1k more than Toyota Altis

Help1

there must be a reason why certain car brands have less exposure on the road...like renault, citroen, opel...

Yup..... Fully agreed. it doesn't mean its Conti brand means its good and reliable......

Parts and maintenance will kill you......

↡ Advertisement

there must be a reason why certain car brands have less exposure on the road...like renault, citroen, opel...

Yup..... Fully agreed. it doesn't mean its Conti brand means its good and reliable......

Parts and maintenance will kill you......

Well totally agree that Renault is not that reliable and once it breaks down... It breaks down quite consistently.

I've owned the Scenic (2nd Gen) and though it was a great car, things went downhill after about 2 1/2 years into owning it. Things just started to breakdown and lots of problems cropping up one after another.

Going to the service center is also a nightmare.... You go in with this problem and come back with the same problem unresolved and somehow something new comes up too....

The car itself is comfortable but all the problems just makes it hard to continue purchasing the same brand again even though I still like the design and features of Renault... But just thinking back on the problems has kept me away from it.

I reckon it could be because the car and its' parts are not ac-customized to our weather so it tends to break down more often though I have seen some positive reviews of the last Megane, with owners having 0 problems with it. Think this might signal that the parts are more suitable for this part of the world and maybe also because Renault has bought Nissan and have learned something from them regarding reliability.

Anyway there is Billy Car Care or Espace that specialize in servicing Renaults and if I am not wrong, Billy is the satellite service center for the dealer, at least it was last time.

For the price of the Fluence, it is indeed very tempting though I like the Megane hatch much better.

Having moved on from Renault to Mazda and then now KIA, I think so far Mazda has given me the best reliability as I have 0 problem with it during my 4 years of ownership and the service center is great!

As for my current KIA ride, I am still loving it and it's serving me well with no major issues (Hugging a huge tree).

Edited by Mooscenic

of cos when the car is new, they dont break down often. but as you know the repair cost is relatively high. and after 60k km you have to change the belt and water pump, it is not cheap if you compare to jap cars. like mine, some of our renaults began to fail after 4 years old, almost everything that can possibly fail, failed. including unusual things like igition system, ecu, key chamber (the thing where you insert the key and turn, cost 1k and had to import), wheel bearing (common issue, replace donno how many times [laugh] ), aircon and cooling system .... it certainly couldnt last the times.

wah so jialat.... thought of getting one for marketing. [shakehead]

look like 2 camps. I am thinking of buying it but is wondering with the mixed comments [gossip] .

can help in providing some ans - [angel]

for those for it

- your past experience with R (new cars less than 3 years old) and do you have problem selling it off?

- older cars (> 3 years old) what are the common faults, which cost most?

[wave] thank you

aiya.. buy bmw lah.

The new megane hatch is nice. My friend just bought one. He used to drive an evo 9, & told me the power of the 1.6 megane not bad.

the gearbox is the only letdown. Mated to a sluggish 4AT. [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

Next year, 1000 units of Renault Latitude will flood Singapore roads as taxi replacing Toyota Clowns for Trans Cab fleet.

It would be interesting to observe how reliable the Ranault taxis will be, and if they'd be as problematic as the Hyundai Sonata, Kia Magentis and Skoda Superb taxis on the road.

Nissan Cedric and Toyota Crown taxis seem to be the most problem free and hardy.

wah so jialat.... thought of getting one for marketing. [shakehead]

Sad to say, I agree. My experience with them is bad. Owned a R19 (over heating, vibrations when idling), 2 Scenics (pre -2006).

Pros : Great cars to drive, ride and handles well, interiors/comfort unbeatable as against 1.6 Jap family cars.

Cons : horribly unreliable after 2-3 years- auto-window failed, auto trans cable snapped, crankshaft siezed, coolant pipes breaks n leaks, ignition coils fails regularly, gear box suffers intermittent faults like geting stuck on 3rd etc, jerky kickdown when slowing, remote locking either self-locks or fails.

My sis' 2003 Renault Clio suffered terminal illness after running over a puddle of water. Engine will die without warning. Agent gave up. But it was a sweet handling car, sporty, solid.

If only Renault can build more reliable cars.....I will buy 1 again.

My Grand Vitara never once gave me any problem in 4 years. My current 1.5 Airwave ditto after 4 years. Cross my fingers...but I rather look at a Renault. Or Citroen. Or a Pug. Only look.....

ur renault??? just pass P plate so fast get renault and sell and get rocc? hmmmm.... interesting

do you know me very well? don't assume okay. P plate took place awhile ago (maybe not considered awhile for some though)

maybe you got the wrong guy [cool]

The new megane hatch is nice. My friend just bought one. He used to drive an evo 9, & told me the power of the 1.6 megane not bad.

bro.. from evo9 to megane hatch 1.6A? or you referring to the renault megane RS?

megane hatch 1.6A, although exterior looks quite nice.. but using old renault 4 speed automatic gearbox.. 105bhp 145nm.. gives you almost 14s to 100km/h.

on the other hand, megane RS is 2L turbo with 6 speed manual, 250bhp 340nm.. only 6.1s.

renault lower end all produced in turkey and notorious for shoddier workmanship

also the long standing common faults not rectified since the megane II more than half a decade ago till now

ancient engine/gearbox

korean chassis for this model

its gonna go the way of the kelos...dead end

bro.. from evo9 to megane hatch 1.6A? or you referring to the renault megane RS?

megane hatch 1.6A, although exterior looks quite nice.. but using old renault 4 speed automatic gearbox.. 105bhp 145nm.. gives you almost 14s to 100km/h.

on the other hand, megane RS is 2L turbo with 6 speed manual, 250bhp 340nm.. only 6.1s.

1.6 manual. Not the sport version. He drove a 260hp colt railliart before his evo too. Actually, you don't need top end power much in Singapore road to be honest. Zippy, & responsive power/torque can sometimes be more fun. Press the throttle hard, power comes instantly, shiok.

I don't like cars that must rev under high rpm then power comes.

The Girls look better than the car ^^

I like the fairer skin one. :wub: Nice legs too.

The other girl facial features a little too strong, shoulder a little too bold.

i guess the reliability for the newer French car models should be okay.

the only problem is, all cars will age and parts will be wearing and tearing.

that's where the problem comes, reckon the parts will not be as cheap as compared to the Jap/Kor ones.

↡ Advertisement