Indonesia: Going around in Jakarta

Kelpie

Hi all,

Have not been to Jakarta for quite sometimes. Most of the time, it was friends that bring me around.

This time round wanted to DIY and don't want to disturb them.

So where is the best area to stay (since I'm not driving)? in term of :

1. Ease of access to Shopping area laugh.gif. (Not too far between city center and airport). Heard there is a 7Floor slide in a Hotel or Shopping centre.
2. Night Market biggrin.gif . (For street food)
3. Places of interest. (Intend to go Bogor to visit Taman Safari) cool.gif.
4. Bandung (Wanted to give someone a surprise visit) wub.gif .

Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

Have not been to Jakarta for quite sometimes. Most of the time, it was friends that bring me around.

This time round wanted to DIY and don't want to disturb them.

So where is the best area to stay (since I'm not driving)? in term of :

1. Ease of access to Shopping area [laugh]. (Not too far between city center and airport). Heard there is a 7Floor slide in a Hotel or Shopping centre.

2. Night Market :D . (For street food)

3. Places of interest. (Intend to go Bogor to visit Taman Safari) [cool].

4. Bandung (Wanted to give someone a surprise visit) :wub: .

Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards,

I go to Jakarta so often I'm like half Indo.

Even if you are not driving, you will still be stuck in jams half the time.

There are many hotels there so it actually depends on what your budget is like. The high end hotels near the Hotel Indonesia belt like Mandarin and Sari Pan Pacific is near to the toll road that can get you to Bogor and Taman Safari. Otherwise you can stay in the Senayan area that is near to the major malls like Plaza Senayan and Senayan city.

As always people like to go to Ancol for Seaworld and the theme park over there. They also have seasonal themed shows that changes every few months.

There are not really many night markets in Indonesia unlike those in Malaysia. If you are going for cheap stuffs try the Mangga Dua complex and Tanah Abang. For vcds and phones, go to Mall Ambassador.

Bandung is small... just a city in some hills near Jakarta. It will take less than 2 hours to get there. I will usually do a day trip... go in the morning, shop and then drive back at night. (yes I drive the car myself haha)There is nothing to do there except shopping at the many factory outlets. The factory outlets there are so damn cheap... after i start going there in 2004, I have NEVER bought any of my clothes anywhere else... not even at the night market in Bangkok or KL. So you know what I mean... and also do ask an Indo friend to bargain for you while you kep your mouth shut and just act blur....it will be much cheaper. [:p]

If I do stay overnight, I will stay at hotels near Cihampelas Walk. That is the major shopping mall there with lots of eateries and there will not be a lack of choice for you. Also the surrounding area has a lot shops selling t shirts and stuffs you can go look2 see2. While you are in Bandung go to nearby places like Tangkuban Prahu for the hot springs and Ciater for the views.

By the way, if you go to Bogor, try to have dinner at this place called Cimory... its a very nice restaurant that is on the hillside. You can see into the valley and see the lights of the houses there with a nice cool breeze.... that is if you can get a seat near the edge... the restaurant is always nearly full so good luck.

Oh yes there is a 7 floor slide in a shopping complex... havent been there though cos its a bit out of the way for me because I'm always either in central or south Jakarta.

By the way, there is an airport tax of 150k rupiahs when you check in for your return flight...so don't spend all your cash :)

Have a good time. [wave]

• Praise 1

Thank you very much! Very informative tips too [laugh].

Yap, I remembered the traffic congestion each time I arrived at Jakarta. Hence wanted to find a more centralized location for ease of movement.

Would Mangga Dua be a choice location to get around places (Bogor & Bandung)?

A friend of mine (my dad's friend's son) actually run a Textile shop at one of those factory outlets. This time going to surprise him by turning up as a "customer" [:p]. This guy often come to my place out of a sudden without informing me each time.

I will digest your information and come back to you with more questions later [cool].

Thanks!

Regards,

Mangga Dua is in north Jakarta, near to Ancol actually. There is a lot of seafood places along the road... try asking around for Sarang Kepiting...it literally means "crab's nest". Cheap and good seafood. I am in the opinion that Indonesian food is much better than in Singapore...but that's to me :D so i find the food to be mainly good.

Anyway Mangga Dua area is not too far off from the Outer Toll road that rings Jakarta. So its ok to stay there if you want it. The Outer Toll road (Jalan Tol Lingkarluar Jakarta) bypasses the city by going on the northern edge of the city near to the Port. So while you might find relatively lesser cars there, there will be more heavy vehicles that ply that route. The key is to avoid the roads at peak hour... that is around 6.30am to @9am (Jakarta time). I wouldn't want to get stuck in a jam with a tummy ache. Seriously [:)]-_- .

Mangga Dua is also a big area. I think there is 5 or 6 malls in close proximity so do watch where you go so as not to get lost. (I did.) ITC Mangga Dua and the Pasar pagi has a lot of clothes shop...but not the high end ones. But women will love going round the many floor of mazes> Men will avoid unless their wife is sulking haha! Go to Harco Mas for very cheap electronics.

As for hotels, I think the most value will be the Ibis. The location is good and the price is cheap for a standard hotel. And there won't be people knocking on your door offering "services" as in the other cheaper hotels hahahaha!

So how are you going to get to Bandung? I think the best way is to rent a car with a driver because its cheap anyway. And the petrol is also cheap so that might keep you smiling all the way!

Good Luck!

Hi there,

I'm contemplating to lodge with the Mercure at Ancol. Supposedly all the attractions such as as seaworld are within walking distance.

Also may stay 1~2 nights at Mangga Dua area. Big area, as in the 5 to 6 malls are all not within walking distance? Wonder whether will be more convenient to go Bandung and Bogor from there. Also to visit the Taman Mini Indah and Places like Puppet Museum & St. Mary Church.

For Bandung, think will have to disturb a friend to bring me around [laugh].

Ibis, Novotel and Mercure are the same group. Standard should be alright and I will seriously consider them. There is a Novotel at Mangga Dua too. Bogor and Bandung also have.

Thank you very much for the food tips, will make sure I visit them to makan [thumbsup].

Thanks!

Regards,

Mangga Dua is in north Jakarta, near to Ancol actually. There is a lot of seafood places along the road... try asking around for Sarang Kepiting...it literally means "crab's nest". Cheap and good seafood. I am in the opinion that Indonesian food is much better than in Singapore...but that's to me :D so i find the food to be mainly good.

Anyway Mangga Dua area is not too far off from the Outer Toll road that rings Jakarta. So its ok to stay there if you want it. The Outer Toll road (Jalan Tol Lingkarluar Jakarta) bypasses the city by going on the northern edge of the city near to the Port. So while you might find relatively lesser cars there, there will be more heavy vehicles that ply that route. The key is to avoid the roads at peak hour... that is around 6.30am to @9am (Jakarta time). I wouldn't want to get stuck in a jam with a tummy ache. Seriously [:)]-_- .

Mangga Dua is also a big area. I think there is 5 or 6 malls in close proximity so do watch where you go so as not to get lost. (I did.) ITC Mangga Dua and the Pasar pagi has a lot of clothes shop...but not the high end ones. But women will love going round the many floor of mazes> Men will avoid unless their wife is sulking haha! Go to Harco Mas for very cheap electronics.

As for hotels, I think the most value will be the Ibis. The location is good and the price is cheap for a standard hotel. And there won't be people knocking on your door offering "services" as in the other cheaper hotels hahahaha!

So how are you going to get to Bandung? I think the best way is to rent a car with a driver because its cheap anyway. And the petrol is also cheap so that might keep you smiling all the way!

Good Luck!

Aha Mecure... saw the hotel when i passed there but have never stayed there. But I stayed at the Mecure chain in other countries so it has to be good. Didn't know about Novotel dude ^_^

Wherever you stay, as long as its near the toll road, its not really a problem. The toll roads are all interlinked so there is no problem getting anywhere. For TMI and Bogor, you will need to get on the Jagorawi toll. For Bandung, you will have to get on the Cipularang toll (quite a distance away) which heads directly to Bandung. I'm sure you can find your way.

I have never been to the Puppet Museum nor the St Mary but St Mary is opposite a big mosque somewhere in the centre of the city.

The malls in Mangga Dua are all within walking distance... but they are BIG malls and its a loonnnggg walk haha! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Aha Mecure... saw the hotel when i passed there but have never stayed there. But I stayed at the Mecure chain in other countries so it has to be good. Didn't know about Novotel dude ^_^

Wherever you stay, as long as its near the toll road, its not really a problem. The toll roads are all interlinked so there is no problem getting anywhere. For TMI and Bogor, you will need to get on the Jagorawi toll. For Bandung, you will have to get on the Cipularang toll (quite a distance away) which heads directly to Bandung. I'm sure you can find your way.

I have never been to the Puppet Museum nor the St Mary but St Mary is opposite a big mosque somewhere in the centre of the city.

The malls in Mangga Dua are all within walking distance... but they are BIG malls and its a loonnnggg walk haha! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Mecure supposedly to be the more atas one (Particularly Grand Mecure), Novotel being mid-scale and Ibis being the more price friendly one. They are of the same hotel group if correct.

Thank you for the "toll" tips. I'm going to give my Indonesia friends a call later. It looks like I may be lodging at Bandung to catch the good buys!

Yalor, Singapore is so small but else where, we just have to walk longer and shop till we drop [laugh].

Regards,

I use to stay at Hotel Nikko (please stay at the New Wing) or else at the Ascott serviced apartment. There is this new mall next to Ascott ( I think its called Grand Indonesia) and also walking distance to the mall (Plaza Indonesia) that is connecting to Grand Hyatt. Also connecting it is a huge cineplex called EX. I find that area not bad. And since everything is within walking distance, u won't have to worry about traffic jams.

I dine at the restaurant of The Valley resort in Bandung a couple of times and I thought it's quite a nice scenic place although the food is really not the great (but it's not that bad either).

Ah...I miss shopping at Rumah Mode.... And then just chilling out at PVJ after that.... And then adjourn to the club next door at night...

I think Rumah Mode is more suited for women... other than jackets and a few shirts and jeans, I find that the women have more choices to choose from [;)] But the place is now slightly bigger and they have added some more space for parking. Last time parking has always been a headache.

I use to stay at Hotel Nikko (please stay at the New Wing) or else at the Ascott serviced apartment. There is this new mall next to Ascott ( I think its called Grand Indonesia) and also walking distance to the mall (Plaza Indonesia) that is connecting to Grand Hyatt. Also connecting it is a huge cineplex called EX. I find that area not bad. And since everything is within walking distance, u won't have to worry about traffic jams.

Grand Indonesia is a good mall... but its a bit big and the upper floors are a bit quiet.

I love the makan places there esp the food court! :D

Hi kelpie,

I just came back from Jakarta 2 weeks ago and stayed at Ibis Slipi. The room are clean and the security is good, the only fuss being that there is a small mosque behind so you hear prayer early in the morning but you get blessed... haha....

If you prefer shopping mall right beside the hotel, you may want to consider Ciputra Hotel (which is beside Ciputra mall) and very near to toll roads. Shopping mall are plentiful in Jakarta like Senayan, Anggrek and there a new one just beside. Mangga Dua is also popular place to put up with but as long as you're not driving (traffic flow into this part of town is terrible).

For myself. I usually stay around Slipi area (like Ibis, Mercure, Ciputra) so easy to go meet up with customers or vice visa. The hotels in south Jakarta are bigger and more ** like Ritz, JW Marroitt, Gran Melia and the shopping mall are mostly up-market.

And if you are bring family and intend to stay more days + visiting out-skirt of Jakarta, renting a car with a driver is a much better choice.

Happy shopping...........

Hi there,

I'm contemplating to lodge with the Mercure at Ancol. Supposedly all the attractions such as as seaworld are within walking distance.

Also may stay 1~2 nights at Mangga Dua area. Big area, as in the 5 to 6 malls are all not within walking distance? Wonder whether will be more convenient to go Bandung and Bogor from there. Also to visit the Taman Mini Indah and Places like Puppet Museum & St. Mary Church.

For Bandung, think will have to disturb a friend to bring me around [laugh].

Ibis, Novotel and Mercure are the same group. Standard should be alright and I will seriously consider them. There is a Novotel at Mangga Dua too. Bogor and Bandung also have.

Thank you very much for the food tips, will make sure I visit them to makan [thumbsup].

Thanks!

Regards,

Mall Ciputra and Mall Taman Anggerek...I always avoid... JAM forever hahaha! Even the toll road over there are jammed half the time because of the trucks going towards Tangerang. The only time that the roads are empty are during Hari Raya where there is a major exodus back to kampongs... but then the malls are bloody crowded at that time because those left behind have nowhere else to go!

I had a fren staying at Taman Anggerek and I rem one evening he invited me to his place after work and I think it took me almost two hours from Wahid Hasyim area. I left work at ard 7pm n by the time I reached was after 9pm Liao...

↡ Advertisement