MAZDA 6

Voxy28

For those interested in more power and is willing to pay more for the car:

Mazda6 2.5L:         189 bhp        0-100kph: 8.2s       wt: 1515 kg

Camry  2.5L:          178 bhp        0-100kph: 9.2s       wt: 1475 kg

Here, interestingly, the Camry is 40 kg lighter yet due to the lower bhp it is 1.0 sec slower in the 0-100 kph acceleration.  The FC of the M6 2.5L is also better than the Camry 2.5L.

↡ Advertisement

Regarding power for the 2.0L Mazda6 compared to Japanese rivals:

M6:           162 bhp           0-100 kph: 10.5s

Accord:     153 bhp          0-100 kph: 11.9s

Camry:      165 bhp          0-100 kph: 10.8s

Teana:      134bhp           0-100 kph: 12.1s

So it is evident that the M6 has the fastest 0-100 acceleration and the 2nd highest power.  It still beats the Camry in acceleration despite a slightly less powerful engine, possibly due to a lighter weight.

Ref: Sgcarmart

Well the numbers are there.

Personally around the standard cannot make it leng kee test track, i definitely didn't feel mz6 2.0 is the most powerful. But ok lah, given all NA engines, lol really seldom will rev it until peak torque. All 3 are fine except the Teana which is distinctly slower. 

The no-auto lock is a pain in the butt. But for kids, I recommend you activate the child lock behind, cos even with auto lock, they can also unlock.

Also, go with what you think you like. You already tempted means that this car has something that you like. So look at what you like vs what you dun, and see if you actually need and/or can live with those things that you dun like.

I can tell you straight.... things I dun like but can live with v the things I like

1) Auto lock

2) No boot opening from inside

3) ride comfort (this is due to my 19" rims)

4) Walk away lock feature (something you need to activate, but sometimes when I put my kids from the passenger side close the door, then walk to my driver door, the car locks itself)

For 1) and 4), it can be programmed aftermarket but may void warranty. For 2), can install motorised remote boot opening
  • Praise 1

Regarding power for the 2.0L Mazda6 compared to Japanese rivals:

M6: 162 bhp 0-100 kph: 10.5s

Accord: 153 bhp 0-100 kph: 11.9s

Camry: 165 bhp 0-100 kph: 10.8s

Teana: 134bhp 0-100 kph: 12.1s

So it is evident that the M6 has the fastest 0-100 acceleration and the 2nd highest power. It still beats the Camry in acceleration despite a slightly less powerful engine, possibly due to a lighter weight.

Ref: Sgcarmart

The acceleration lag goes away once sports mode is activated. But the engine rev noise becomes quite noticeable as a result.

Unlike other cars with ECO/Normal/Sports driving modes, I suppose this car only has ECO/Sports. Acceleration is quite dull if driving in ECO.

• Praise 1

The acceleration lag goes away once sports mode is activated. But the engine rev noise becomes quite noticeable as a result.

Unlike other cars with ECO/Normal/Sports driving modes, I suppose this car only has ECO/Sports. Acceleration is quite dull if driving in ECO.

Its to save fuel. I believe you dun drive from red light to red light at full throttle all the time right? If need power, just floor the accel and feel a click which will engage the gear kick down. 

N.A. engine.. power comes from rev-ing the engine. If you need low rev high power.. suggest go for FI engines.

• Praise 1

wondering if this avail in singapore, n will it void wrty

thought folding come with Mazda 6 non FL, walk away auto fold

• Praise 1

My Mazda 6 comes with auto fold whenever you lock the car. It the auto lock when moving off and auto unlock when you put the gear to P that is lacking (though not end of the world)

I think there's a bit of miscommunication about the auto lock function. There are 2 types of auto lock being talked about here:

Type 1: Auto-locking of doors when the car has been parked and the driver walks away. This is usually accompanied by the auto-folding of the wing mirrors. Some cars have the wing mirrors fold once the engine is cut, not when the walk-away auto-lock is activated. Some cars have the wings mirrors fold once you press the button on the handle or remote to lock the car. In this latter case, there is no auto-locking function when you walk away from the car.

Type 2: Auto-locking of doors when driving off after the engine is started. After you start the engine, some cars auto-lock the doors of the car when you shift the gear lever to D. And auto-unlock the doors when you stop the car and shift the gear lever to P. Other cars only auto-lock the doors when you put the gear lever into P and the car moves off and hits a certain speed. The doors still unlock when you put the gear lever to P. Or the doors unlock only when the engine is cut.

On some cars with these auto door-lock functions, usually the auto-locking of doors on driving off is programmable just like my 2015 Sonata. You can choose when to lock the doors when you start the engine, either shift to D or attain a certain speed. You can also choose when to unlock the doors, shift to P or cut engine.

For Type 1 auto-locking of doors, you usually don't have a programmable option. It's hardwired into the keyless entry system of the car. My Sonata will unfold the wing mirrors, the courtesy lights come on when I approach the car, but I have to press the button on the door handle to unlock the car. When I stop the car and engine, I have to press the button on the door handle to lock the car, and the mirrors will fold then. There is no walkaway door lock function at all.

For my dad's Fluence, when he approaches the car, the wing mirrors won't unfold. When he press the button on the door handle to unlock the car, the wing mirrors will unfold and the courtesy lights will come on. When he parks, and cuts the engine, the wing mirrors will fold automatically. When he walks away from the car to a certain distance, the car will auto-lock the doors. 

For the Fluence, this walkaway locking system can be turned off. This means you have to press the button on the door handle to lock the car doors before walking away. But you can't change anything else, not even when the doors lock when driving off and when stopping the car.

For the Mazda, it seems that there is a slight change to both these auto-lock functions? I guess doing a test drive and specifically testing for this, and going into the system computer to change the settings will help any potential buyer understand it better. I go on weekdays and play with the system for like 3 hours until I know if I can live with it. At least that is what I do for my Sonata last Mar... but then again I know the SE quite well...

For some cars, there is no need to press a button. I believe it's possibly touch based to unlock the doors. I am not sure if there are any keyless entry systems when the doors unlock the moment you are near the car, or if you can just pull the handle and the doors unlock without having to press or touch anything. At least I haven't seen a car like that... feel free to correct this if it's incorrect.

Hope this helps...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

For those interested in more power and is willing to pay more for the car:

Mazda6 2.5L:         189 bhp        0-100kph: 8.2s       wt: 1515 kg

Camry  2.5L:          178 bhp        0-100kph: 9.2s       wt: 1475 kg

Here, interestingly, the Camry is 40 kg lighter yet due to the lower bhp it is 1.0 sec slower in the 0-100 kph acceleration.  The FC of the M6 2.5L is also better than the Camry 2.5L.

There's something called drag coefficient that actually plays a larger part than people might expect in century sprint and fuel economy results. Last I checked the typical Camry sedan has a pretty meh rating for this, while the SkyActiv Mazda6 has at least 0.26cd

Plus the SkyActiv technologies include a high efficiency six-speed AT (Camry 2.5L take so long to get 6spd) and the SkyActiv engine is probably a lot more advanced than Camry's. Higher compression ratio, etc.

Yes, true.  It is only 8 kg lighter, yet with 3 bhp less its 0-100kph time is 0.3s faster.

Perhaps the driver that Toyota used to do this test is 20 kg heavier; or, maybe Mazda has a superior transmission setup to deliver better torque to the wheels more efficiently.

The Camry's drag coefficient might be higher compared to the Mazda6. Or torque curve takes longer to kick in, stuff like that. But if not those it's probably the SkyActiv transmission. Toyota has been very slow to advance their transmissions.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Hi guys, Do you use any paint protection on your M6? Any recommended retailers? 

I have been quoted 1K++ for those 9H ceramic coating..Kinda pricey IMHO, but if it helps prolong paint life and reduce the maintenance, then can consider. 

• Praise 1

just made a booking for M6 2.0L standard. Can I ask if the standard version has 6 or 11 speakers? The spec sheet states 6, but the car looks like it has equal number of speakers as the executive version, unless some of them are just grilles and kosong inside.

• Praise 1

just made a booking for M6 2.0L standard. Can I ask if the standard version has 6 or 11 speakers? The spec sheet states 6, but the car looks like it has equal number of speakers as the executive version, unless some of them are just grilles and kosong inside.

2.0 comfirmed not Bose System,so no 11 speakers.

• Praise 1

2.0 comfirmed not Bose System,so no 11 speakers.

2.0 executives come with 11x bose speakers

just made a booking for M6 2.0L standard. Can I ask if the standard version has 6 or 11 speakers? The spec sheet states 6, but the car looks like it has equal number of speakers as the executive version, unless some of them are just grilles and kosong inside.

Hi can share how much you bought it ? What is executive price ?
  • Praise 1