MAZDA 6

Voxy28

I using OBD plug in to deactivate i-stop, bought it from TB.

When engine start, wait for 2 Sec, I-stop will be deactivated.

The original I-stop botton still able to use as normal.

The OBD not work sometimes, once a week or 2 weeks I would say. Then press the I-stop myself.

I think for me it's become kind of a reflex. I turn off i-Stop immediately after starting the engine.

I don't like the feature, it saves bugger-all fuel and breaks the overall refinement.

They have actually done actual tests to show that the i-Stop or comparable feature only starts saving you petrol when your engine is stopped for more than 7 seconds. If the time is less than that, you actually consume more fuel on the restart then the amount you'd have saved.

Also, engines don't use that much fuel when idling. They've done actual tests for this too.

Fears about start-stop systems causing premature engine wear and battery drainage largely unfounded however.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think for me it's become kind of a reflex. I turn off i-Stop immediately after starting the engine.

I don't like the feature, it saves bugger-all fuel and breaks the overall refinement.

They have actually done actual tests to show that the i-Stop or comparable feature only starts saving you petrol when your engine is stopped for more than 7 seconds. If the time is less than that, you actually consume more fuel on the restart then the amount you'd have saved.

Also, engines don't use that much fuel when idling. They've done actual tests for this too.

Fears about start-stop systems causing premature engine wear and battery drainage largely unfounded however.

Hi DK3410,

Not sure if mazda 6 has separate capacitor bank like some cars for start up else battery sure will be affected as you crank high current.

Starter and mounting will certainly also age faster since more usage ... only logical and prevention is better ... you will also feel it more when the car ages.

These who say no concern on negative aspects are also probably the same one telling your start-stop save the world ... 

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

Hi DK3410,

Not sure if mazda 6 has separate capacitor bank like some cars for start up else battery sure will be affected as you crank high current.

Starter and mounting will certainly also age faster since more usage ... only logical and prevention is better ... you will also feel it more when the car ages.

These who say no concern on negative aspects are also probably the same one telling your start-stop save the world ... 

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

The Mazda 6 2.5L has this i-ELOOP capacitor which is used to start up the system. The i-ELOOP is not present on the 2.0L model however.

If you read that link in one of my older posts in response to you being right about start-stop systems being useless, it's actually from an engineer who said that start-stop systems save so little petrol as to be insignificant, but they don't actually drain the battery that much (compared to a cold-start), and starter motor wear is minimal (again, because the engine is all warmed up and ready to roll, unlike a cold start).

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

So really, I don't like the start-stop feature because it really doesn't make much difference in the real world, and breaks the refinement during the restart.

Edited by DK3410
  • Praise 2

Hi Richard,

The Mazda 6 2.5L has this i-ELOOP capacitor which is used to start up the system. The i-ELOOP is not present on the 2.0L model however.

If you read that link in one of my older posts in response to you being right about start-stop systems being useless, it's actually from an engineer who said that start-stop systems save so little petrol as to be insignificant, but they don't actually drain the battery that much (compared to a cold-start), and starter motor wear is minimal (again, because the engine is all warmed up and ready to roll, unlike a cold start).

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

So really, I don't like the start-stop feature because it really doesn't make much difference in the real world, and breaks the refinement during the restart.

The i-Eloop don't powered the i-Stop,it only offered an extra energy Storage,our Start/Stop System don't used the Starter...it stop with 1 Piston in Compression,used the Spark Plug to fire that Piston.

• Praise 3

Always thought there is extra capcitor storage even for the entry level trim .. cause after ICE installation, start stop wont work for 1-2 days untill its fully charged.

The i-Eloop don't powered the i-Stop,it only offered an extra energy Storage,our Start/Stop System don't used the Starter...it stop with 1 Piston in Compression,used the Spark Plug to fire that Piston.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So it's actually an even more elegant system than I thought.

I still find that it breaks the overall refinement of the package but that's just my opinion.

IDLING STOP TECHNOLOGY
i-stop is a smart technology that saves fuel by switching off the engine when the car stops.

Idling stop systems save fuel by automatically shutting down the engine when the vehicle is static and restarting it when the vehicle returns to motion.

technology_env_i-stop_1st-row_img_2.ts.1

i-stop

Mazda's i-stop substantially improves fuel economy while maintaining a natural driving feel. The latest control technologies achieve a rapid engine restart and an operational feel that is barely noticeable. The system improves fuel economy by approximately eight percent (under Japan's JC08 mode test cycle.).

i-stop and Gasoline Engines

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.

These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

i-stop with Gasoline Engines

technology_env_i-stop_en_2nd-row_img.ts.

• Praise 2

Just got my Mazda 6 today! Nice slick black car! Funny thing though, I noticed when I first parked that my front license plate was slanted and there was some 3m tape on the bottom front (base of the license plate). Didn't know what it was at that time and peeled it off and dumped it..

Only after I realised that probably they used that to keep the license plate fully vertical instead of slanted as the thickness of the tape would block the plate from slanting backwards.

Was at the dealer to collect something and I looked at another 6 that was collected and no issues... So if any of you guys are interested and take a look at the back of your front license plate, you probably will see the same thick 3m tape there preventing it from slanting.

He told me at my 1k to get it fixed. Don't really see any issue but yea just hope my plate doesn't drop off along the way

IDLING STOP TECHNOLOGY

i-stop is a smart technology that saves fuel by switching off the engine when the car stops.

Idling stop systems save fuel by automatically shutting down the engine when the vehicle is static and restarting it when the vehicle returns to motion.

technology_env_i-stop_1st-row_img_2.ts.1

i-stop

Mazda's i-stop substantially improves fuel economy while maintaining a natural driving feel. The latest control technologies achieve a rapid engine restart and an operational feel that is barely noticeable. The system improves fuel economy by approximately eight percent (under Japan's JC08 mode test cycle.).

i-stop and Gasoline Engines

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.

These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

i-stop with Gasoline Engines

technology_env_i-stop_en_2nd-row_img.ts.

Have anyone need to replace your starter due to the constant use of i-stop? For my wife's car the starter is not covered under the factory warranty.

Have anyone need to replace your starter due to the constant use of i-stop? For my wife's car the starter is not covered under the factory warranty.

Hi Dna,

What car is that ?

All parts under warranty is min 3 yrs with engine and gearbox being covered for 5 yrs ... parts except consumables partd like brake pads, dampers etc.

Apart from PI cars which centralised workshops who will try to pull a fast one on owners making claims ...

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Dna,

What car is that ?

All parts under warranty is min 3 yrs with engine and gearbox being covered for 5 yrs ... parts except consumables partd like brake pads, dampers etc.

Apart from PI cars which centralised workshops who will try to pull a fast one on owners making claims ...

Cheers.

Richard

Lexus NX200T - SA indicated to us the starter not under warranty when we collected the car. Also, the battery has a warranty for 2 years. Rest covered under 5 years service and warranty except for drive belts, brake lining and brake pads.

Lexus NX200T - SA indicated to us the starter not under warranty when we collected the car. Also, the battery has a warranty for 2 years. Rest covered under 5 years service and warranty except for drive belts, brake lining and brake pads.

Hi Dna

This is strange and I cannot understand the rationale nor had heard of such exclusion of key electrical' electronics or electromechanical parts since it is not consumable like mentioned brake pads as also shared.

Perhaps other more learnt bros can share then ....

Cheers.

Richard

Usually Car equipped with Start/Stop feature,the Starter is Specially made for it,tell your SA don't bullsxxx...Mazda don't use Starter to Restart the Engine,but my i-Stop already clocked 335 Hours of "Stop" time in near 6 years...

• Praise 1

Usually Car equipped with Start/Stop feature,the Starter is Specially made for it,tell your SA don't bullsxxx...Mazda don't use Starter to Restart the Engine,but my i-Stop already clocked 335 Hours of "Stop" time in near 6 years...

After looking through the Lexus warranty booklet, I can see that the starter motor is under the covered list - not sure why our SA is saying this and also ask us to shut off the start-stop when possible.

Mazda on the other hand did not mention anything about this when I collected my car. Great to know that your starter is in perfect working condition after 6 years. I had to change my Alfa 159 starter once after 5 years and the vehicle had to be tow to the workshop.

After looking through the Lexus warranty booklet, I can see that the starter motor is under the covered list - not sure why our SA is saying this and also ask us to shut off the start-stop when possible.

Mazda on the other hand did not mention anything about this when I collected my car. Great to know that your starter is in perfect working condition after 6 years. I had to change my Alfa 159 starter once after 5 years and the vehicle had to be tow to the workshop.

Hi DNA_engine,

1st time hearing starter not covered in warranty. The 12V battery usually have shorter warranty. Not sure of Mazda or Lexus. But Toyota MY is 1yr. Unlike US have much longer warranty up to 6yrs.

Glad the manual gave you peace of mind.

Cheers.

• Praise 1

That's because it's an Alfa. Breathtaking looks and performance... When it's still working..

Your choice of a Lex is impeccable. You can't go wrong with one. Borneo has good after-sales support, even for their Toyotas.

Edited by DK3410